your tone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vchizzle, Feb 14, 2015.

1. prsrocker1988

prsrocker1988 New Member

Definitely a tone chaser and someone who thinks tone is very important and hold controversial/polarizing opinions on where it all comes from (I believe the gear plays a huge part in the tone and don't buy the whole gear doesn't count or matter thing) and my approach but I'm a tribute/cover band guy and my thing is note for note covers and copying the tones from each of the players and researching what they used.

I was never a songwriting guy or a creative person, my niche was always duplication and recreation or being a mime, or in musical terms, a jukebox or encyclopedia of songs. My thing is blues, classic rock, country rock, and modern country (that sounds like classic rock). Always more of the raw bluesy guy than a technician though, more like Jimmy Page or Joe Perry than EVH or Satch.

Rather than hauling out a ton of amps and guitars, I normally use a biiiig pedalboard instead. So on a song where I'd use a JCM800, I have a clean foundation amp like a Super or Twin Reverb, and then kick on a Marshall In A Box pedal. I believe AIAB pedals are at their very best and in a blindfold test would be hard to tell which is which, so it saves me from hauling amps out. I can take a humbucker guitar that's versatile like my CU24, and a single coil guitar like a Tele or Strat and do the whole gig and nail everything, which is important to me.

2. 92Esquire

92Esquire New Member

The only tone I've chased was George Lynch's from the Breaking the Chains album. I had it for a bit, but then got tired of it.

Since then, I've chased textures - trying to figure out how I can fit in a sonic landscape and convey a similar emotion to the original artist. It's worked out pretty well for me - I've played with a few different bands in different styles and found a way to fit in with pretty simple gear. A few pedals, a good amp, and a good guitar, and I'm normally OK for most gigs.

My tone is normally clean, with the ability to add some dirt. If it's a jam session, I may take one OD pedal. If it's a gig, I may take 2 that will stack. If it's a band I'm in, I'll have a channel switcher and OD to give me 4 levels of gain. Again, for me it's about textures rather than nailing a tone.

3. Brad737

Brad737 This space for rent...

I do for sure. For gain, my benchmark has always been the early EVH Brown Sound. Check out the Plexi Mod 5 clips:

http://www.soundclick.com/mobile/default.cfm?bandid=1160846

I got a modded amp that NAILS it. It's still my favorite amp by a long shot. But now, I back the gain off a bit, and pump the Bass a bit. (Ed's early tone was kind of bright.) It packs a wallop. That's MY tone. And I can back the gain off more and get a great JTM-45 on steroids.

Now if I could just get that sound recorded...

#23 Brad737, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015