Your thoughts on African Blackwood as a fretboard?

CatStrangler

PRS Enthusiast
I'm cooking up something for a PS build and I think African Blackwood would be a great cosmetic match for the project but not so sure about the tone? I know lots of people hear have them, I would appreciate any input. As a reference point, brazilian RW is my gold standard, but I also like ebony in the right context. This will be a sc245ish project. Thanks, Phil

Ha ha its likely I will, mostly to due to travel restrictions on BRW, which is a real bummer. I guess I could consider MRW or IRW as well, but I'm looking for something real dark and smooth that isn't ebony, although i think ebony could also work on this one, its not the tone I'm shooting for.

I dig it.

Looks and feels like ebony but not as bright, at least in my opinion.

Ha ha its likely I will, mostly to due to travel restrictions on BRW, which is a real bummer. I guess I could consider MRW or IRW as well, but I'm looking for something real dark and smooth that isn't ebony, although i think ebony could also work on this one, its not the tone I'm shooting for.

African blackwood definitely fits the real dark bill. It isn't quite as smooth as ebony, but it does make a great fingerboard.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm definitely leaning towards this one. Any thoughts on how it sounds compared to other rosewoods? darker? brighter? thanks, Phil

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm definitely leaning towards this one. Any thoughts on how it sounds compared to other rosewoods? darker? brighter? thanks, Phil
I don't have either my african blackwood or my rosewood with me to refresh my impressions, but my recollection is that the african blackwood isn't quite as dark as brazilian rosewood. I'm reluctant to call it bright, but will say that I feel it favours mid range harmonincs to a greater degree that rosewood - certainly more than my brazilian rosewood which clearly favours lower harmonics.

My Blackwood boarded PS has a maple neck, trem, Korina body, and Tremonti pickup so it's really impossible for me to compare it to any other rosewood or ebony boarded PRS I've owned. That said, it's certainly not an overly bright sounding guitar.

My Blackwood boarded PS has a maple neck, trem, Korina body, and Tremonti pickup so it's really impossible for me to compare it to any other rosewood or ebony boarded PRS I've owned. That said, it's certainly not an overly bright sounding guitar.

Thanks,I am actually concerned that the high density might attenuate highs/dynamics. I'm hoping my dealer is going to get Paul Miles and company to weigh in as well.

Thanks,I am actually concerned that the high density might attenuate highs/dynamics. I'm hoping my dealer is going to get Paul Miles and company to weigh in as well.

If anything, I think it will have the opposite effect. Here's a video demo I did with my guitar that has an African blackwood fretboard. It's from the first series of Collection electrics. McTrem, mahogany/maple, pernambuco neck. No problem with highs or dynamics with this one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

The higher the density, the higher the resonant frequency. Knock on a piece of cardboard, then knock on a wooden table. MacGuyver frequency test complete!

Taken further, different African Blackwood board blanks will have different rFs due to the inherent variability of nature. You can always request a relatively high tone-tapped board blank from the PS department. You see Paul doing that in vids all the time.

The higher the density, the higher the resonant frequency. Knock on a piece of cardboard, then knock on a wooden table. MacGuyver frequency test complete!

Taken further, different African Blackwood board blanks will have different rFs due to the inherent variability of nature. You can always request a relatively high tone-tapped board blank from the PS department. You see Paul doing that in vids all the time.

The Blackwood is not as dense as ebony but denser than indian rosewood. If denser/harder = brighter, i think you have an idea of the very slight difference you could hear.

If anything, I think it will have the opposite effect. Here's a video demo I did with my guitar that has an African blackwood fretboard. It's from the first series of Collection electrics. McTrem, mahogany/maple, pernambuco neck. No problem with highs or dynamics with this one. :)

Sounds good. Now if only Ross would post again. I like his avatar. Pretty sure I have that movie too. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back