Your self-concious video belongs here

Here's a show I played in 2006 that was professionally shot. the audio's not great, guitars are sorta buried. This was Pre-PRS for me.

Here's something more recent. Once again the audio is not so great, skip past the early part and the buzz goes away. Also, I was playing through my 15 watt Egnater Tweaker instead of my usual TOL50 so the tone isn't quite as good.

Loved that second song John!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the goal is to embarrass ourselves, OK... I'm game... These were probably done within 3 months of us getting together for the first time, and I hadn't gigged since college (or played much in the intervening years...) That makes it sound like we've improved a bunch, so I should just leave it at that! Actually, not so much, but our set lists have gotten much better as well as our stage presence, lighting, etc. Why bother improving musicianship afteral when you can just focus on looking cooll!! :biggrin:

I'm the goofball on the left

Right on, I used to cover that sometimes (special occasions) in my old band Minibosses. One time we opened for Sound of Urchin and Tomato did vocals. It was terrible, we hadn't practiced it in months! But it was fun.

If the goal is to embarrass ourselves, OK... I'm game... These were probably done within 3 months of us getting together for the first time, and I hadn't gigged since college (or played much in the intervening years...) That makes it sound like we've improved a bunch, so I should just leave it at that! Actually, not so much, but our set lists have gotten much better as well as our stage presence, lighting, etc. Why bother improving musicianship afteral when you can just focus on looking cooll!! :biggrin:

I'm the goofball on the left

Sounds great to me!

Loved all the videos in this thread so far !!! Bennett I agree with Les, you know I subscribe to your school of tone but im learning less is more when it comes to gain the sound fattens up when I rolled back the gain.

Ok here is one of many Fk ups thats been recorded. I totally blow the intro !!! but there are some decent fat neck tones at 1:20 and and in the begining of the solo at 2:32 and then at 3:00 you can see the TRICK I worked on for months instead of learning theory because it made me look cool, I wish I went the other way and studied Theory first and worried about learning tricks for later anyway on to the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzH_saZgKmI&feature=youtu.be

Loved all the videos in this thread so far !!! Bennett I agree with Les, you know I subscribe to your school of tone but im learning less is more when it comes to gain the sound fattens up when I rolled back the gain.

Ok here is one of many Fk ups thats been recorded. I totally blow the intro !!! but there are some decent fat neck tones at 1:20 and and in the begining of the solo at 2:32 and then at 3:00 you can see the TRICK I worked on for months instead of learning theory because it made me look cool, I wish I went the other way and studied Theory first and worried about learning tricks for later anyway on to the video

That intro is one of those that can snowball on a guy... a few missed notes and all the sudden you can't get back in the groove. Definitely been there myself. But no worries, I think that 3:00 mark redeems you!

That wasn't so bad, you definitely redeemed yourself.

And you didn't quit and start over again like this guy when he blew the intro.

Harker, buddy. You rocked that one like a hurricane! Don't worry about the intro, I've been trying to get that smoothly for a long time, but my pinky and ring fingers end up doing a Hatfield and McCoy on me.

The Eriza Green Party is rocking' the house!

A side note to the forum members. This thread is everything I wanted it to be. I'm proud of everyone posing here!

Hey everyone....for those of you who have commented on the "excessive gain" in my video...I have a question.....to be serious for a change, that tune's tone was specifically pre-set for the brief tapping sequences. I find that unless I have the amp set for close to maximum gain and the bridge pickup is selected...I can't tap for ****. If I try to reduce the gain, or increase the bass relative to the treble...my ability to tap goes right out the window.

Any suggestions for accomplishing the best of both worlds? Or, is the only solution a 2 channel amp or a boost/OD pedal to kick in for the tapping sequence?

And a related question...are you guys able to get a decent tapping tone without going to "11" on the gain? I do have amps capable of delivering serious gain/overdrive/distortion....and I realize I am using the term "gain" synonymously with the other two terms........but I think you know what I mean.

Hey everyone....for those of you who have commented on the "excessive gain" in my video...I have a question.....to be serious for a change, that tune's tone was specifically pre-set for the brief tapping sequences. I find that unless I have the amp set for close to maximum gain and the bridge pickup is selected...I can't tap for ****. If I try to reduce the gain, or increase the bass relative to the treble...my ability to tap goes right out the window.

Any suggestions for accomplishing the best of both worlds? Or, is the only solution a 2 channel amp or a boost/OD pedal to kick in for the tapping sequence?

And a related question...are you guys able to get a decent tapping tone without going to "11" on the gain? I do have amps capable of delivering serious gain/overdrive/distortion....and I realize I am using the term "gain" synonymously with the other two terms........but I think you know what I mean.

Best bet IMHO is to up the bass and mids and drop the treble. Lower the gain and throw a decent compression pedal into the mix. Let the compression take care of evening things out. Gain compresses things but the more you add the more waspy and indistinct things sound.

Here's something more recent. Once again the audio is not so great, skip past the early part and the buzz goes away. Also, I was playing through my 15 watt Egnater Tweaker instead of my usual TOL50 so the tone isn't quite as good.
18 inch bastard gets a 5 star rating from me.Awesome song,great playing!

Bennett
I understand exactly where you are coming from That's the reason I asked for your opinion on those videos because we have similar taste in gain I always thought I needed the super gain and compression to play but I've come to realize too much gain is a crutch. And there are many flavors of high gain and I've owned most of the " Modern High Gain Amps" Engl Bogner Mesa Diezel hell I even took an Elmwood and a Two Rock for a test spin. The only thing I got was a thin buzzy tone. Take the Shiva I am playing now you said it had the tone you wanted, well im running it at best 1/2 of the gain the amp can produce but I have the tone you want it an get hotter in the gain department but I don't want or need it. My suggestion to you is take one of your Hot High Gain amps and dial it back to half gain or less and for the tapping parts solos etc I would front end an EP Booster or a BB Preamp both by Xotic and slam the preamp section if you need it. After awhile you will find you won't even want and the tone you've been searching for will probably be found.
Hope this Helps!

Thanks Sergio

Great advice, and thanks guys!! Thanks Craig!

(I sold my Elmwood 3100 and my Soldano SLO 100 awhile ago :bawling:)

Kick in a good fuzz, and you'll have all the tapping sustain and gain you could ever want. Seriously. It'll sound great, especially if you get a little feedback you can control (the key being a good fuzz, not a crappy one).

As to the "excessive gain..." I dunno if that's a good way to describe it.

Because it may have to do with how you set up your amp. Could be just the gain, could be the mid and bass settings, could be too much high end, maybe too much preamp section and not enough amp section...not being there it's hard to know.

As you probably know, when you turn up the front end gain of your amp, you're driving the preamp section. 12AX7s begin to sound brittle and overly crisp after a point, and the master has to go up to drive the amp tubes to balance that out. At the same time, you can tame some of that brittleness with the tone controls.

The PRS amps can sound really rich and creamy at the same time as the gain is up. Just think "rich and creamy" as you're dialing in the gain, tone controls, and master volume!

I didn't think you tone was too bad Doc, hard to pass judgement on something recorded with a laptop mic.

To anyone who posted prior to this....hey....NO WORRIES....no criticism implied or taken.....great comments, great support....please don't be concerned with comments being taken the wrong way...as the thread would indicate...once you have the lack of humiliation to post a video..you ain't likely to be easily insulted or to have hurt feelings. So please...don't be modifying or embellishing your original comments out of concern for what you said. Everyone's comments are meant to be helpful, but I am reading some concern over how the comments are being interpreted.

Paging Ruger.....don't think we forgot....you owe us one (1) "self-conscious video"

Now get to it!!!!

Back