Your Post-Holiday Savings Purchase Posts...

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Many of you, if not already, will have received a subsidized check from Uncle Sam. Many of us also worked extended workshifts during December that resulted in extra pay.

The result was a higher than expected income for December.

This asks the question: How many of you are satisfied with what you received, and if not, what is your goal so that you will be satisfied (legally)?

Also, what purchase have you/will you make to fill that material desire so that you can be content with what you have for a time?

Here's what my thought was: My iMac keyboard (US/English wired numeric) has seen better days. A lot of the key lettering is fading from extended use. Have ordered a replacement wireless numeric keyboard that connects via USB. Hoping that the USB will also connect to my iMac directly via powered USB hub

Your purchase(s)?

I just paid off my most recent purchase from October
gMcLHq4.jpg

The government checks get put into savings so I can go on vacation someday. I collect a generous Per Diem check for every week I am away from home, from my employer. That money is my spend away fund if I so choose. One of two checks I received for last month went to purchase a apparently really heavy multi-fit case and new silent cable from the store.

I frequent pawnshops religiously weekly,and ever since covid and the 1st stimulus checks, the pawnshops have been dead. NOTHING.

I decided to do my rounds on Friday just in case something interesting showed up on the floor.

To my surprise, I noticed a very nice looking Ibanez guitar that looked expensive on a shelf inside its case.

I looked at the tag, and decided to look on the back of the headstock for the model.

I input the model, and I was surprised that this guitar sells used on average from about $950-$1200 +/- depending on the condition.

They had this 2016 Ibanez Iron Man RGAIX6FMT for $325.

I realized the Seymour Duncan Red & White pickups were not original, no whammy bar, and it also had a broken low E string.

I took it to the counter and asked the manager if she could do better than the $325 tag price.

She asked what I was offering, and I said I'd do $275 out the door because of the SD replacement pickups, no whammy bar, and the broken string.

She accepted my offer, and now I'm the proud owner of my 1st thin metal neck shredder guitar.

For the price, I couldn't pass it up.

Here's some pics of my 1st guitar of 2021:

50801757351_96202d5fe3_b.jpg

50801876207_0a73ce8b6b_b.jpg

50801018858_9b6394432f_c.jpg

I think I'll also invest in some warm clothes...long range locally goes from cooler, to chilly, to cold. Would like to keep my cojones this winter. The keyboard won't be keeping me warm this year.

And no, a beard is off the table. Shaving is required in my instance.

Last edited:
My stimulus check was exchanged for a DJI Mini 2 quadcopter drone, and it's amazing. Oh, and a half terrabyte SD card for it.

Nice! Was considering a Mac Mini w/ separate monitor, but don't see the need. Mebbe a better recording mic...hmm...

Nope, will stick with being kind for the time. And likely work on the shave/haircut I was thinking of.

Last edited:
I won’t buy anything before March.

No subsidy. No overtime. Just lots of time.

This might sound strange, but I squirreled away my stimulus plus a bit extra into savings for later this spring...my wall AC unit is not owned by the apartment complex and belongs to the previous tenant, who moved to assisted living and passed a couple years ago. The existing AC unit is noisy and on its last legs, and is difficult to reach behind my wire storage shelf.

The stimulus check will just about cover the cost of a new AC plus the extra squirreled will cover the costs of installing a surround frame/sleeve.

Kudos to you for setting cash aside for more important things. When March rolls around, you can tell us what you've been hankering for until then.

I just paid off my most recent purchase from October
gMcLHq4.jpg

The McC 594 is very nice, though I'd have a hard time explaining to the neighbors why I might have chosen a Mesa 4x12 in my instance. There's just not enough justification since my personal playing skills are next to nil, but I digress...

The government checks get put into savings so I can go on vacation someday. I collect a generous Per Diem check for every week I am away from home, from my employer. That money is my spend away fund if I so choose. One of two checks I received for last month went to purchase a apparently really heavy multi-fit case and new silent cable from the store.

Where would you travel to? Would you need to learn a new language, or would you stay closer to English-speaking countries? Our local group of friends are always encouraged to calculate the cost of an endeavor of this kind, and then learn a language that you can speak so as to spend several months in a foreign land. At first, I'm told, it's daunting, until the locals get to know you and then you can interact with them for daily activities. I'd like to try the Canadian West Coast sometime, but realize that the West Coast isn't all that different language-wise than eastern US.

I frequent pawnshops religiously weekly,and ever since covid and the 1st stimulus checks, the pawnshops have been dead. NOTHING.

I decided to do my rounds on Friday just in case something interesting showed up on the floor.

To my surprise, I noticed a very nice looking Ibanez guitar that looked expensive on a shelf inside its case.

I looked at the tag, and decided to look on the back of the headstock for the model.

I input the model, and I was surprised that this guitar sells used on average from about $950-$1200 +/- depending on the condition.

They had this 2016 Ibanez Iron Man RGAIX6FMT for $325.

I realized the Seymour Duncan Red & White pickups were not original, no whammy bar, and it also had a broken low E string.

I took it to the counter and asked the manager if she could do better than the $325 tag price.

She asked what I was offering, and I said I'd do $275 out the door because of the SD replacement pickups, no whammy bar, and the broken string.

She accepted my offer, and now I'm the proud owner of my 1st thin metal neck shredder guitar.

For the price, I couldn't pass it up.

Here's some pics of my 1st guitar of 2021:

50801757351_96202d5fe3_b.jpg

50801876207_0a73ce8b6b_b.jpg

50801018858_9b6394432f_c.jpg

We don't have many local pawn shops locally, sorry to say. Only a few consignment stores that dabble in clothing or donated items. Larger cities have them, but in sketchier parts of town. My nephew isn't always there to provide "moral support" when I'd need him, so the Mom & Pop music shops (and the remaining GC stores) are still the only places where you can find consigned or used-for-sale items.

Nice score though! I've always wondered what a higher end Ibanez might feel like in my hands....just never tried one IRL...

Ordered up a 2x12 custom built speaker cab.
It'll be a couple weeks before it arrives so that gives me time to decide what speakers to put in it...thinking maybe a combination of a creamback and a vintage 30.

Ever consider the Neodymium Creambacks? Much easier weight constraints. My Brunetti had the speaker replaced with a Neo and the combo weight was noticeable. What accompanies the 2x12 speaker for amp? Or is this still a project in progress?

Where would you travel to? Would you need to learn a new language, or would you stay closer to English-speaking countries? Our local group of friends are always encouraged to calculate the cost of an endeavor of this kind, and then learn a language that you can speak so as to spend several months in a foreign land. At first, I'm told, it's daunting, until the locals get to know you and then you can interact with them for daily activities. I'd like to try the Canadian West Coast sometime, but realize that the West Coast isn't all that different language-wise than eastern US.

We don't have many local pawn shops locally, sorry to say. Only a few consignment stores that dabble in clothing or donated items. Larger cities have them, but in sketchier parts of town. My nephew isn't always there to provide "moral support" when I'd need him, so the Mom & Pop music shops (and the remaining GC stores) are still the only places where you can find consigned or used-for-sale items.

Nice score though! I've always wondered what a higher end Ibanez might feel like in my hands....just never tried one IRL...

Ever consider the Neodymium Creambacks? Much easier weight constraints. My Brunetti had the speaker replaced with a Neo and the combo weight was noticeable. What accompanies the 2x12 speaker for amp? Or is this still a project in progress?

I did take a look at the Neo. I've spent quite a bit of time researching and listening where I can.
This is my first go at a custom cab so I am trying out the 65w creambacks and the 60w Vintage 30 first. They just seemed to produce what I am looking for. I'll likely experiment with a few more options in the future, but this seemed like a good start.
This cab is going to be for home use only and wont be getting moved around at all so weight didnt play into my decision.

I have a couple amps I will run thru this and see what works/sounds better. Either my peavey xxx or peavey rockmaster. I have an older 4x12 with some stock sheffields that are ok, but I will hook up that 412 to whichever amp I dont use with the 2x12. I will experiment with a few options there too.

I did take a look at the Neo. I've spent quite a bit of time researching and listening where I can.
This is my first go at a custom cab so I am trying out the 65w creambacks and the 60w Vintage 30 first. They just seemed to produce what I am looking for. I'll likely experiment with a few more options in the future, but this seemed like a good start.
This cab is going to be for home use only and wont be getting moved around at all so weight didnt play into my decision.

I have a couple amps I will run thru this and see what works/sounds better. Either my peavey xxx or peavey rockmaster. I have an older 4x12 with some stock sheffields that are ok, but I will hook up that 412 to whichever amp I dont use with the 2x12. I will experiment with a few options there too.

That's cool. It's been a while since I've heard a Peavey of any type, so my view would not be suitable here. Best wishes putting together a matching cab for your Peaveys. The Creamback/V30 combination is a popular one, I don't think anybody is going to roll their eyes at that. ;)

There's a 2013 Paul's guitar in Jade on Reverb that I am lusting after, but the seller wants more-than-new prices for it.

So I may well end up with a Neural DSP Quad Cortex, as something to satisfy my Venn diagram of tech/guitar.

That's cool. It's been a while since I've heard a Peavey of any type, so my view would not be suitable here. Best wishes putting together a matching cab for your Peaveys. The Creamback/V30 combination is a popular one, I don't think anybody is going to roll their eyes at that. ;)

Thanks,
I figured I liked the sound of each of those and as you said a popular combo, so I thought it would be a good speaker base to start on.

I've had the XXX since the early 2000's. I loved the gain and it fit perfectly in with the band I was in at the time. Since then I've toned it down a bit. I like the fact that it has the ability to run EL34's or 6L6's with just a flip of switch and a bias adjustment. I put in a set of KT77's and I like where its tonally at now, so its finding the speakers to go with.

The RockMaster has a Marshall"y" kind of sound. It was a gift from my best friend, best man and the one who got me into guitars and music in the first place. Sadly he passed away unexpectly a few years ago so that Rockmaster wont be going anywhere. Its more sentimental to me at this point but I do want to find the right power and preamp tubes and the speaker combo for it too.

The experimenting is the enjoyable part for me.

There's a 2013 Paul's guitar in Jade on Reverb that I am lusting after, but the seller wants more-than-new prices for it.

So I may well end up with a Neural DSP Quad Cortex, as something to satisfy my Venn diagram of tech/guitar.

Have been curious about the Neural Quad. Let us know if you purchase one. This may be on my watchlist someday, but am waiting on others' views before considering.

Thanks,
I figured I liked the sound of each of those and as you said a popular combo, so I thought it would be a good speaker base to start on.

I've had the XXX since the early 2000's. I loved the gain and it fit perfectly in with the band I was in at the time. Since then I've toned it down a bit. I like the fact that it has the ability to run EL34's or 6L6's with just a flip of switch and a bias adjustment. I put in a set of KT77's and I like where its tonally at now, so its finding the speakers to go with.

The RockMaster has a Marshall"y" kind of sound. It was a gift from my best friend, best man and the one who got me into guitars and music in the first place. Sadly he passed away unexpectly a few years ago so that Rockmaster wont be going anywhere. Its more sentimental to me at this point but I do want to find the right power and preamp tubes and the speaker combo for it too.

The experimenting is the enjoyable part for me.

I recall that my 1st amp ever was a Peavey Classic 50W 2x12 combo, with Sheffield/Black Widow speakers. Clean, crunchy, smooth....loud! I think the power tubes lasted me over 15 years service before I ever needed changing them. (Played the amp maybe once/twice a week for 40 minutes at a time). I'd heard the XXX only once in Daddy's Junky Music several towns away back in the mid/late 90s. DJM has mostly folded locally and exists only in Boston and Nashua, NH, nowadays...

Like you, I prefer 6L6 or EL34s, usually settling on the 6L6s because of their clean warm headroom. EL34s were a tad too tight...I prefer the sag the 6L6s exhibit, because it adds to the tone, instead of tightens or brightens it. Of course, its easy to dial back the bass when you wish to tighten up lower frequencies...a good EQ does the same without needing swap tubes... I've not heard KT77s, so can't comment on these, but would like to hear your thoughts of why you prefer these over the other power tubes.

And lastly, sorry to hear of your friend's passing; he gave you something of value that will keep you happy for quite a while. I'd tweak the amp to your tastes and just rock it on into the next decade...it'll serve you well for a while.

New wireless numeric keyboard arrived this afternoon. Enjoying the shallower key touch that makes typing (if not spelling) easier.

Back