Your pick preference

I am an 80’s gal. Big hair metal. Anything 80’s. Classic rock n roll. Nothing can compare to that decade for me personally.

Judas Priest
Kiss
ACDC
Billy Squier
Tesla
Helix
Queen etc

you get the idea

I love my music loud and love to play loud. I wear ear protection when I remember to.
You should check out Wig Wam. Their latest CD, from 2021, is fantastic.

Doing that right now!
Will be back with an update

I did listen to one of their songs.
It’s not as heavy as I would like but the singer does have some nice pipes. His voice reminds me of Jon Bon Jovi.

Last edited:
I bought a blue chip pick after recommendations from this site. I was getting fed up of picks wearing down and changing shape so unless you bought a steady stream of new picks you'd constantly have to adjust for the changing shape. I was told that blue chips don't wear and blow me down if that's not true. I've been using one heavily for over 3 years now and not a sign of wear. Still exactly the same shape as when I bought it.
The only downside is they're really expensive and once you've shipped them to the UK and added postage and tax even more so

Blue Chip, in several sizes, shapes and thicknesses (choice based on the guitar and what I want to play on it), but most often the BC Jazz 35 (.89 mm thickness).

Here's why:

I get to have friends who have 50 or more guitars tell me my picks are too spendy. :rolleyes:

Seriously, they sound like tortoise, they go through the strings really fast, and they never wear, EVER. The first one I got years ago is still every bit as fresh as a brand new one. That's nice when you're in the middle of a session.

I used to use the John Petrucci Jazz III 1.5 mm. but something didn't feel right for me when playing rhythm. So I started trying different picks. Then about a year ago I was talking picks with Andy James and he suggested I try the Tortex Flow 1.35 mm and I instantly clicked with those. I doubt I'll switch to another pick anytime soon.

picks4.jpg

The current front runners - a couple V-Picks (including the Mummy on the right), a couple Red Bear, Dunlop Ultex Sharps 1.14, Ibanez Steve Van model, Wegen bluegrass model, and a Tommy Emmanuel pick that is great for strumming. And acrylic nails. There are a few others that get some use, but those are the main ones. I do have some reserves...

picks3.jpg

picks4.jpg

The current front runners - a couple V-Picks (including the Mummy on the right), a couple Red Bear, Dunlop Ultex Sharps 1.14, Ibanez Steve Van model, Wegen bluegrass model, and a Tommy Emmanuel pick that is great for strumming. And acrylic nails. There are a few others that get some use, but those are the main ones. I do have some reserves...

picks3.jpg

Is it mere coincidence that the sparkly acrylic nails go so nicely with the Kiss guy pic on the inside lid of the cigar box?

I think not!

I have used many different pics but have decided on dava and one other brand that I just can't remember at the moment.

Used to play the Dunolop Delrin 500 0.71, but have been grooving on the Ultex 0.73 lately.

I feel like thicker picks dull the attack and thinner don't give me enough control, and inhibit the chug.

@bodia After reading your post I listened to the album you mentioned "Never Say Die" on my drive home from work. I've heard of Wig Wam. Man, that album is so good. Those songs are play them loud and drive. I love the vocals and the guitar work is really good. My only gripe is that the rhythm guitars on some tracks sound "over processed" but that is a modern tone I hear quite a bit these days. So are there any other unknown bands that I should know of :D ?

@bodia After reading your post I listened to the album you mentioned "Never Say Die" on my drive home from work. I've heard of Wig Wam. Man, that album is so good. Those songs are play them loud and drive. I love the vocals and the guitar work is really good. My only gripe is that the rhythm guitars on some tracks sound "over processed" but that is a modern tone I hear quite a bit these days. So are there any other unknown bands that I should know of :D ?
Oh man, too many to list! There was a (mostly) import CD shop in suburban Chicago that wasn't too far from where I worked. I went in there weekly from 1997-2007. The owner turned me onto a lot of great bands, mostly from outside of the US. He moved to Colorado in 2007, but I still check his website every week. There are tons of bands I've never heard of that I'll check out. Here is a link to his store. I always check out the New Releases and Coming Soon tabs.

https://www.impulsemusic.com/new/

Other that that, here are a few I have been listening to lately:
The End Machine - original Dokken minus Don
Whitesnake - Flesh & Blood - their latest...really good, IMO
Brainstorm
Bloodbound
KK's Priest - KK Downing and Ripper Owens
The Wildhearts
Helloween
YY Not
Voodoo Circle
Temple Balls
Sweet Oblivion - Geoff Tate and an Italian band....sounds like early Queensryche
Smith/Kotzen - Adrian Smith and Richie Kotzen
Shinning Black
Pyramaze
Primal Fear
Kamelot
Iron Saviour
Down 'N' Outz - Joe Elliott (Def Lep) and guys from the Quireboys....good 70s style rock
Inglorious
Gotthard
Dirty Honey
Dirty Shirley - George Lynch on guitars
Black Swan - Robin McAuley on vox and Reb Beach on guitar and Jeff Pilson on bass
Crown Lands
Klassick '78 - songs written in the vein of KISS from the Destroyer area
Crazy Lixx
Rhapsody of Fire - symphonic metal from Italy
Angra
Edu Falaschi - former singer for Angra
Kreek

That should be enough to send you down the rabbit hole!

Oh man, too many to list! There was a (mostly) import CD shop in suburban Chicago that wasn't too far from where I worked. I went in there weekly from 1997-2007. The owner turned me onto a lot of great bands, mostly from outside of the US. He moved to Colorado in 2007, but I still check his website every week. There are tons of bands I've never heard of that I'll check out. Here is a link to his store. I always check out the New Releases and Coming Soon tabs.

https://www.impulsemusic.com/new/

Other that that, here are a few I have been listening to lately:
The End Machine - original Dokken minus Don
Whitesnake - Flesh & Blood - their latest...really good, IMO
Brainstorm
Bloodbound
KK's Priest - KK Downing and Ripper Owens
The Wildhearts
Helloween
YY Not
Voodoo Circle
Temple Balls
Sweet Oblivion - Geoff Tate and an Italian band....sounds like early Queensryche
Smith/Kotzen - Adrian Smith and Richie Kotzen
Shinning Black
Pyramaze
Primal Fear
Kamelot
Iron Saviour
Down 'N' Outz - Joe Elliott (Def Lep) and guys from the Quireboys....good 70s style rock
Inglorious
Gotthard
Dirty Honey
Dirty Shirley - George Lynch on guitars
Black Swan - Robin McAuley on vox and Reb Beach on guitar and Jeff Pilson on bass
Crown Lands
Klassick '78 - songs written in the vein of KISS from the Destroyer area
Crazy Lixx
Rhapsody of Fire - symphonic metal from Italy
Angra
Edu Falaschi - former singer for Angra
Kreek

That should be enough to send you down the rabbit hole!

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. There's some bands that you listed that I haven't heard of but I'll definitely be checking out.

Back