Your pick preference

Lola

❤️guitar
I have tried so many picks from wild to mild. I have to be very comfortable with my pick to be able to grind through some of the solos that I play. I have tried the Dunlop Big Stubbies, V-Picks, Dava Picks but I always come back to my favourite Dunlop Tortex 1.35mm. It’s perfect. Not too flimsy and not too thick.

What’s yours and why?

Dunlop Tortex teardrop 1.14. I play better with those than anything else. I can't play with triangle-shaped picks - at all.

As mentioned recently, I’ve had a 45 year long relationship with the Fender 358 Medium pick. I’ve tried everything I could find over the years: shapes, materials, even coins. I do like and use the Dunlop Jazz III and Tortex jazz shape, but my old stalwart partner and only pick I’ve used throughout my guitaring life is that little 358.

Fender_358_medium.jpg

For years I played the Dunlop green Tortex but a buddy had me try Jazz III. I was surprised how much I liked them. Then I tried the JP Jazz III. I Iiked them even more. Finally found black XL Jazz III. The perfect pick for me. Right thickness and grip.

I have to be very comfortable with my pick to be able to grind through some of the solos that I play.

What solos is that? You haven't told us what kind of music you like and play. That's always important in recommending anything... picks, strings, guitars, amps, speakers, even SHOES for some people here. :p

I am an 80’s gal. Big hair metal. Anything 80’s. Classic rock n roll. Nothing can compare to that decade for me personally.

Judas Priest
Kiss
ACDC
Billy Squier
Tesla
Helix
Queen etc

you get the idea

I love my music loud and love to play loud. I wear ear protection when I remember to.

I play squeaky clean most of the time, and only use heavy, large teardrop shaped ("347") picks. I always use the rounded side for rhythm and the point for melody, and drill holes in 'em so they don't spin.

MyPicks.jpg

My favorite used to be D'Andrea celluloid teardrops but they aren't available anymore.

I'm surprised no one ever talks about how different picks sound different. I love the feel of Tortex picks but hate the scratchiness of the sound. Currently I'm liking the Jim Dunlop celluloid, and John Pearce extra heavy teardrops. The Pearce picks are brighter than the Dunlops.

A friend of mine gave me a couple very old, actual real tortoise shell picks. They are very bright sounding. When you shake them around in your hand they sound like they are made of glass.

Last edited:
I am an 80’s gal. Big hair metal. Anything 80’s. Classic rock n roll. Nothing can compare to that decade for me personally.

Judas Priest
Kiss
ACDC
Billy Squier
Tesla
Helix
Queen etc

you get the idea

I love my music loud and love to play loud. I wear ear protection when I remember to.
OK, so you’re one of “us!” I got some picks for ya. Let me get on a laptop where it’s easier to link pics.

Back