Your opinions on capos..?

Chris Martin

Hey all! I’m in need of a capo for electric stuff and the Kyser I have pulls the strings too sharp in pitch. Anyone like something in specific for their electrics that doesn’t add to much pressure on the strings.

I use Thalia Capos, They have inserts that match the radius of your finger board. I've had best luck with them staying in tune. A bit expensive but I really like them, get them on sale or clearance. Also a bit too decorative but heck they have a lot to choose from if you like that.

G7th here as well. Work very well. Seem a little cheaper in Europe, but I see Amazon has them in BF sale?

However; only use them in church and only if there is no other option. Do not like capos at all. They mess with tone and navigation

So as an aside, I hear you guys that say you don't use a capo on electrics, and I understand it,

But a capo offers advantages that just moving the chord shape does not. There's a tonal difference between open chords and bar chords. That whole G, C, D thing that "Sweet home Alabama", and countless others, make famous, isn't possible without open chords.

It's not just "can you get it in tune with a capo". it's also can you get the song at the pitch you need for the singer, but still play the way the song was intended. You can tune the guitar after the capo is in place. And then you can play "Sweet home Alabama" in G# if needed.

The G7th ones look great—hadn’t seen those before. I’m using a D’Addario Tri-Action, which is less sleek but works well, including adjustable tension, and is $20 or so
The Tri-Action one is on my radar for sure! It’s cheap and had the adjustable tension. Is it a set it and forget it tension wise or do you have to adjust that everytime you put it on.

Kyser quick-change for me. Gold "acoustic guitar" one on my acoustics, and--surprise, surprise--a black "electric guitar" one on my electrics. Apparently I'm not terribly picky about capos; I simply re-check my tuning once installed, and then move on with my life. Same again once I take it off.

Back