YOUR OPINION ON A PRS REPLACEMENT PART ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman

I have a PRS SE Hollowbody Made in China, in a previous post I was looking for new studs because PRS told me they don't have them. Your replies were Mann. After my post PRS says they have SE studs. I get them screw them into the existing wells attach the bridge string her up then notice the bridge was higher than it was before. I then see that the new studs threads don't go all the way to the top there is a 2mm solid piece at the top latter finding out that the the bushings that came with the new stud are recessed so that it fits flush, the existing are not recessed hence the difference. So i removed the existing bushings but the new would not fit and when i removed it small portion of the top laminae came off. RPS is telling me there is nothing wrong with the replacement stud even though its not the same and wont fit flush with the guitar. My 2 cents is that a replacement part should be the same as the part you are prelacking so your guitar will function the same as it did before. Forget my guitar is now worth $100's less, PRS does not agree they say it the same part Whats your opinion, do you wants you parts to be the same as the one you are replacing or you don't care

I’ve had guitars from multiple manufacturers. None of them have had 100% replaceable hardware over time as they are all redesigned periodically. My luck with PRS in this respect has been as good as any other.

Maybe you could use some help? Can’t really blame PRS because you don’t know how to remove the bushing without damaging the top. I don’t either, so I wouldn’t try it on my own.

Time is not a factor here the guitar was made 11/19. And while the damage was my fault RPS sending me what they claim to be a direct replacement parts that are not is the issue that caused the problem. Had the studs just fit flush with the body as the original did no problem but they did not If I could post pictures you would get a better idea. If a guitar is 3 months old would you not expect to get replacement parts that were not different from the original t

If a guitar is 3 months old would you not expect to get replacement parts that were not different from the original t

Not necessarily. I'm not 100% sure where I read it (I think it was about iPhones, but it may have been something else) that manufacturers generally don't have replacement parts for a new product for a number of months after its release (and I don't know the provenance of your guitar model). I've run into that issue with car parts. It's not surprising that PRS wouldn't have parts in MD for these because they're manufactured and assembled overseas.

Not that any of that helps with your frustration.

I agree with you I was originally told the parts were not in for this product line, then they are? No one told me they were not the same as the original. So WHY send out parts that are not meant to go with that guitar's existing bushings/wells?????????????

They may have changed parts during the manufacturing run. That is not uncommon. I would not have tried to pull the bushings. I would have gone to the dealer.

Why were you changing parts on a new guitar?

I purchased the guitar from the original owner who purchased it new the month after it was made 11/19 but decided to sell it after buying a better quality PRS Piezo model. When i received it there was a cashiers check for $100 apologizing because he had not noticed the stud tops were blemished which was done by someone trying to adj the bridge with to small screw driver and probably not loosening the strings. I just decided to replace the studs with new ones. But since the studs/bushings from the original and replacement were 2 different designs The originals were meant to go together and the replacement were meant to go together they were not meant to be mixed The original studs had full length screws that were flush into the bushing & top of the guitar, the replacement bushings were recessed on the top to accept a 2mm solid shaft on the stud to fit flush with the guitar. putting the replacement stud in the existing bushing left the stud 2mm above the body thus taking away the angle. So there was no dealer involved, the existing bushing came out easy but when I tried to put the compatable new bushing in it just got stuck and would not go in that's how i chipped the finish taking it out. FWIW the original bushing went back in just using hand pressure, I'm Going to dump the guitar and take a $300-350 loss. They should not be selling replacement parts if they are not going to fit properly or disclose for it to fit right you will need to replace the bushing and the studs

Wolfman...not sure if this helps, but the MannMade 4060 are exact replacement as I just put a set of unplated satin brass ones on my SE HB Standard. I prefer unplated for various reasons.

PM me if you want my old set (no marks) and I'll snail mail them to you if you are in CONUS.

RE your original question, if it's a warranty issue then I would indeed expect a manufacturer with a reputation like PRS to make good. Assuming there is not an issue with stock of the parts, I am sure your dealer can help.

Don't remember why you were replacing them but you said something about damage - it's easy to chew the studs up if you don't slack the string tension completely when adjusting. Also best to use a quarter.

I'd be concerned at this point that maybe those weren't the right replacement studs and you may have chewed up the threading on the wells?

Hope this works out, should be simple even if both studs and wells need replacement.

I was taking facebook poll on replacement parts that inc pictures https://www.facebook.com/howard.C.samuel
Thanks for the offer and I had just explained in the previous comments why the replacement and in hindsight I should have purchased the MannMade at least they would have fit right and none of this would have happened. But due to the damage caused by me trying to replace the bushing it makes no difference now to have unblemished stud tops and a damaged guitar. What bothers me is that PRS stands by their incorrect fitting Stud. I don't get it!.

Because you bought used, you didn’t get a warranty. If you had a problem with a new one, of course PRS would take care of it for you. They’re the best in the business with issues like that.

Obviously, there’s your user error trying to install this stuff yourself, and after screwing it up, you blame PRS for your chipped installation attempt, try to shame them on Facebook, and then come here and act all entitled with more shaming attempts.

This is not only a troll thread, but service issue complaints violate the forum rules.

You asked for an opinion, mine is that you’ve got a lot of nerve.

...What bothers me is that PRS stands by their incorrect fitting Stud. I don't get it!.

You should have simply returned the incorrect part and tried to get the correct one. The fact that you screwed up the guitar trying to do something yourself is not PRS fault.

Report!

They are standing by the replacement part stating it is correct there is no other. What they sent was a stud that is meant to go into a recessed bushing because the top part of the shaft is 2mm solid (no thread) the bushings in the guitar are not recessed so the new stud sits 2mm above the body So now if you want the lower the bridge for correct string height you cant do it. If PRS or anyone thinks that;s normal for a guitar something is not right. Would you or anyone want a replacement stud for your bridge that you could not lower to recommended heights or low action if thats your preference. As for the damage I caused, I am and Im not blaming PRS The only way to get the guitar bridge to function as it was originally. intended was to replace both the bushing & the bridge because they are meant to go together. while the existing bushing came out easy the new ones did not fit hence the chip. . And Im not trying to shame anyone all I wanted was a survey to see if other musicians expect replacement parts for their guitars to be able to allow your guitar to function property.I am also learning that no matter how you try to explain something without the use of pictures everyone interprets things differently So So enough said. Ill go back to the original studs so that the bridge will function property glue the chip back in and dump the guitar on Reverb. No more PRS for me ill stick with Fender & Gibson at least their replacement parts fit their guitars!

I missed the original fact that the guitar was used. Since you have no idea what the previous owner did, and the studs were already messed up, the wells could have been replaced as well and the original owner could have botched the job.

IMO noone without a guilty conscience would refund $100 for a $15 set of chewed up studs. It smells...studdy.

So I'm confident that PRS did the right thing and the issues lay not with them, but with previous ownership.

Mischief managed...

I doubt anything was replaced it was made 11/19 he bought it new in December under warranty he said the guitar was not for him after he bought a Piezo model he put it up for sale which I purchased 01/02/20 , he even offered to have the studs replaced on under his warranty I said the $100 was enough he has 100% rave reviews. PRS has pictures no comment of well replacement. I just talked to MannMade parts recommended by others and he has the correct replacement stud for that model. PRS is not god almighty they can make mistakes But it does not matter what I say PRS must be right even though their replacement studs alter the guitar to not function right. This is becoming a waste of my time thanks for all your opinions.

I think we’re willing to be empathetic, but your story is that PRS is lying and the original owner is an angel. And your post neglected key details like “got it used”.

Given our collective experience, I think it’s appropriate to be skeptical here.

Sorry you got burned by the previous owner and your own workmanship. Pretty much any dealer would have helped you on this if you’d gone in person.

I’m quite sure this is wasting your time because nobody’s biting on your whiny story where it’s all somebody else’s fault.

I'm not going to wade in too deep here, but since my name was mentioned, I will add this...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fri 1/17/2020 6:39 PM
Subject: Metric Studs for PRS SE

are your studs threaded all the way to the to the top to fit flush with guitar
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 7:25 AM John Mann

Yes sir, The threads actually have a small undercut, so the stud can be installed flush.
John Mann
Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:53 AM

Thanks for the reply just to verify, PRS sent me replacement studs that are meant to go into a recessed bushing mine are not recessed so their stud sits 2mm above the body which makes lowering the string height impossible.
So yours will fit a non recessed bushing In the picture the black is the one in my model. Thanks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 9:09 AM John Mann

Yup
John Mann
Saturday, January 18, 2020 9:46 AM
You should be supplying parts for PRS. the guitar is only 2 months old, its their contention that the part they sent me is correct ..... [message goes downhill from here, so I'll leave this part out...]
Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 3:50PM

Sorry to hear that your repair project turned out the way it did.
Check for a good luthier in your area. He may be able to get things right for a reasonable price.

Good luck!
JM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back