Your Mount Rushmore

It’s challenging to filter personal tastes out of this.....
???
Why would you want to filter out the personal tastes of this?!?! I think for each of us this is the mountain carving based on exactly that.... our personal tastes.

Here are the carvings based on my personal tastes:
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan.

SRV

EVH

Clapton

As a tiebreaker and in the vein of Sergio's humor, I am going to go with the number 1 Honorary Guitar Hero...Jesus! He had way way more important stuff to do. He was the first to famously rock the long hair. Their is a rock opera about him. Folks mistook Clapton for his Dad. And I understand EVH has already asked about the Stairway to Heaven Solo. Jesus said there is only one, it is solo, and it ends right behind that door behind you. EVH said cool! Plus Jesus gets to rock with and tutor most of the guitar hero's on the list. Fade to Gary Moore and "the Messiah will come again" song beginning to start with Terry Kath and Jimi doing the intro.

My personal Mt. Rushmore would have local guys on it
who never achieved even the slightest amount of fame.
These guys are:

1- The guy who first made me want to pick up the guitar way back when.
Thank you Joe C.

2- The guy who showed me the I-IV-V 12bar when I was still in the
"Mary had a Little Lamb" stage of playing and gave me a HUGE head start.
Thank you Bob P.

3- The first guy I ever heard playing a Gibbo semi hollow guitar.
Before that I had my heart set on a Stratocaster (but not after that).
Thank you George B.

4- The guy in the camera and music store that sent me down the Fender amplifier road.
Thank you Max C.

Their full names would probably mean zero to any of you but to me................
Four unknown guys who aimed me at where I am today as far as guitar goes.

Eddie
Jimi
Chuck
Jeff

My personal favorite, but not on the mountain face: Nuno

And nobody’s picked Gilmore? Shocker

This was exactly my immediate Mount Rushmore thought...then I reread Shawn’s criteria...guitarists that “revolutionized the game”...and I’d have to replace Jeff (my favorite by a mile) with either BB or EC. Jeff didn’t revolutionize the game everyone else plays...he is playing a totally different game...

This is probably committing sacrilege in this thread but Someone should say it.
Apologies in advance.
Probably not on anyone's Mt. Rushmore (certainly not mine) but,
as far as having a widespread influence and making a LOT of kids want to play guitar....

Can you say "KISS"?

They had a huge impact on an entire generation.
Sure, the guys in the Eagles played and sang better,
but nobody wanted an Eagles lunchbox.

As far as game changers go though:

Charlie Christian
Les Paul
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen

Eddie Lang
Charlie Christian
Wes Montgomery
Jimi Hendrix
Who’s Eddie Lang? The first GREAT guitar player. The first guy to play a chord solo, a brilliant side man, the first person to play classical music on a steel string guitar with a pick, and the highest paid side man IN THE UNITED STATES until his death. He and Joe Venuti inspired Django and Stefan, who then copied their style. Charlie Christian for being the first great electric guitar player, and Wes Montgomery for being melodically a true genius. And then Jimi for being Jimi. My personal favorite will always be Albert King for teaching me how much can be done with how few notes. He is also almost impossible to duplicate pitch wise. Try it sometime.

Can you say "KISS"?

They had a huge impact on an entire generation.

No need for apologies, they influenced millions and there are just as many that think they're too cool to admit they were.

There are way too many facets to settle on four, but as far as impact on me....

Jimi Hendrix

Chuck Berry

Eddie Van Halen

Randy Rhoads - there was just too much talent and unimaginable potential in too small of a window.

For me, it’s based on what I listen to.

EVH
Randy Rhoads
Slash
Brian May

I’m such a newb guitarist and can’t play any of their stuff, and oddly I don’t aspire to. But for me, growing up in the 80s/90s, these were the ones that defined guitar playing to me.

Honorable mention to Jason Becker.

I'd have to say:

Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie VanHalen

I even feel bad myself leaving Eric off that list, but... well, you know "Clapton is God" could be another monument all unto itself, right? (Just like the Beatles as a group would constitute their own historical significance, separately from anyone/everything else.)

Back