Your first riff

For me it wasn't just one riff, it was a whole bag of 'em: La Villa Strangiato. :biggrin: I worked really hard on a whole bunch of that song not very long after I first started poking around at pieces of the Back in Black and 2112 albums. But to this day I still haven't been disciplined enough to work on the LVS intro and get it down... :vroam:

The first song I ever worked out by myself off the radio was Poison's Talk Dirty To Me.... Must have been mid to late 80's and I think I was maybe 9 or 10 and living in Indiana.

Earlier this year at Markie's house back in Indiana a bunch of us played that song..... Gag Halfrunt and I did a harmonized version of the solo off the cuff. Kinda came full circle nearly 30s later and only 100 miles down the road (with an 50,000 mile detour!!). Good Times!!

The first song I ever worked out by myself off the radio was Poison's Talk Dirty To Me.... Must have been mid to late 80's and I think I was maybe 9 or 10 and living in Indiana.

Earlier this year at Markie's house back in Indiana a bunch of us played that song..... Gag Halfrunt and I did a harmonized version of the solo off the cuff. Kinda came full circle nearly 30s later and only 100 miles down the road (with an 50,000 mile detour!!). Good Times!!

Until I tried to sing.....it was a show-stopper, but not in a good way!

I can't fully remember... it may have been the opening to a song called 'Lucky Man' by an old(ish) UK band called The Verve. I also remember spending an age on the riff to Money by the Floyd. I worked it out by ear at the time and probably had it down wrong for a while! :)

Actually, after thinking about this for a while, my actual first rid was the into to "Secret Agent Man…"

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really remember my first "riff" but when I was 15 or so my dad had a stella acoustic. I watched him play it and became interested. When I was home alone I would try to figure out chords and eventually tried learning what records we had. So some of my first attempts would have been Ventures and Johnny Rivers. My parents had a lot of records from the 50s and 60s which I still like today.

I did this while my parents were gone so when my dad heard me playing for the first time I think he was shocked as he had no idea I was learning guitar.

While all the on line help musicians have today is great, I sometimes think that not having to figure something out on your own may hurt you in some way.

The first song I ever figured out on my own (the rhythm at least) was Blue Oyster Cult's 'Burnin' for You'. It was 1981, MTV was brand new, and that song was in heavy rotation (along with Pat Benatar, Devo, and J. Geils Band). I was 11 years old and pretty proud of myself at the time. I haven't played the song since. :dontknow: As far as solos go, I felt a since of accomplishment after figuring out both solos in 'Mr. Crowley' note-for-note when I was a teenager. I still play that one all the time. :rock:

The first song I ever figured out on my own (the rhythm at least) was Blue Oyster Cult's 'Burnin' for You'. It was 1981, MTV was brand new, and that song was in heavy rotation (along with Pat Benatar, Devo, and J. Geils Band). I was 11 years old and pretty proud of myself at the time. I haven't played the song since. :dontknow: As far as solos go, I felt a since of accomplishment after figuring out both solos in 'Mr. Crowley' note-for-note when I was a teenager. I still play that one all the time. :rock:

QCG rules the Crowley shred! And tag team double fisted dominated Ricker's fountain Cherry Limeade with me!

I thought the intro to Smoke On the Water was EVERYBODY's "First Riff"!!!!!
:)

Back