Your first riff

Way too far back to remember the first songs (something out of the Mel Bay book).

But the ones that left an impression when I got them down...an acoustic arrangement of "Beth" that I still play...the intros to "Black Diamond" and "Rock Bottom"..."Goodbye To Romance"..."Mr. Crowley", "I Don't Know" and "Over The Mountain"...none of them note for note, but that's not what I was really shooting for.

Possibly the most euphoric moment? Finally figuring out the C#m on the bridge in "Can't Explain". In retrospect it was so obvious, but I kept missing it.

My first riff ever? "Satisfaction" by The Stones. I can't remember it at all at this point.

Two weeks into taking guitar lessons, I shook my teacher down until he gave me the chords to "Free Bird". Now that one gets played all the time! I consider it a sign of my parenting skills that my 6 year old knows that it is his duty to yell "Free Bird" exactly once per musical performance. :goodnight:

The only one I'd need to ad is Limelight,

Thats what I am working on right now..I got the first few parts down good (can play with the actual song) but the chorus part..UGH...(barring the first 4 strings with index finger..SAUSAGE FINGERS! ahhh) Lets just say, its gonna be awhile before I run around the coffee table with this one.

Carzy train was one that I 'learned' meaning that I know how to do the intro but cant play it well..so I do it every week or so just for practive. I'll get back on the 'Crazy Train' when my skill level can handle it. Sometimes I ask my teacher to learn to play a song and he says to me 'are you sure?' which I SHOULD take as..maybe wait another few 10 months before we ty..LOL. He's usually right. :)
\
Good luck on Limelight.

I had been playing for a few years as best I could with very little instructional assistance, but in 1970 the first riff/song of substance that I learned by myself was "Purple Haze". Did pretty well with it, got the E in the intro and finally figured out the Hendrix chord after many years of trying. Just all seemed to come together that day. From there a hop, skip and jump to "Foxy Lady". I had concurrently been taking Conservatory Piano lessons with theory and it's likely that my ear training was decent enough at that point to have some confidence in what I thought I was hearing.
A very intense moment as a guitarist, permanently etched in my brain.

Last edited:
First song was Love Stinks, first reall riff, probably Metal Health (Quiet Riot). What can I say, I'm a child of the 80's.

well the first song i had learned was ,smoke on the water ,it was ok being thats all i knew @ that time.but when my guitar teacher tought me how too play the tapping part of eruption, a whole knew world opened up for me,omg i thought i was the man haha,i played that till my fingers blead...and when my friends pleeded with me too learn or pls play something else.well it wasnt really hard to play,and when played up to speed it sounded like i was wailing on the guitar haha........later years it was joe sacth's,satriani ,sacth boogie,now for me that took alot of practise and patience ,but it was so well worth all the effort into playin sactch boogie,its a great bluesy tune some cool sweep picking ect....and i do play still ,i really got to say its so much fun too play,the opening riff is awsome .thats all folks.....rock on. PRS ADDICT FOR LIFE.

I'm pretty sure the intro line to Pearl Jam's Jeremy was the first "riff" I learned on guitar, even though it's the bass line. The first song I remember having that "play through with no mistakes" moment was "Is There Anybody Out There" off of The Wall. I would sit in my room just playing that for hours on end. And while I don't play it all that much anymore, I still take great pleasure in playing it on a nice acoustic....and I can proudly say, I still nail it almost every time without mistakes (as long as I hadn't consumed too much Jameson)

I like Guinness with my Jameson. Or is it Jameson with my Guinness. Guinness first I think. Then Jameson. Then gain...and shred!

If I've had a long, hard day / week at work, a shot of Jameson topped with some Bailey's dropped into a pint of Guiness always sets my Friday evening in the right direction. Anyone else getting kinda thirsty???

Rhythm was Smoke on the Water single notes was prob Dualing Banjos still like to play it to warm up.

If I've had a long, hard day / week at work, a shot of Jameson topped with some Bailey's dropped into a pint of Guiness always sets my Friday evening in the right direction. Anyone else getting kinda thirsty???

HA>>>>!!!! Baileys came right to my mind when I read his post as well! ;-)

I like Guinness with my Jameson. Or is it Jameson with my Guinness. Guinness first I think. Then Jameson. Then gain...and shred!

Eh. I much prefer Jenna with my Jameson.

Hopefully not lately....(not that I know who you are talking about but there was news of her making a 'comeback' pun intended).....look her up...UGH......

I try to make my jokes timeless...plus I don't want the reality to tarnish it!

The "Paradise City" intro. I was 15. My friend was taking lessons and showed it to me, I had never touched a guitar. I went over his house every day for 3 weeks or so to play his guitar. The next time I called him he answered the phone and told me I couldn't come over any more, he was annoyed. I rented a guitar and signed up for lessons the next day. I never play Guns n Roses.

Back