Your Feelings: Core or Imported?

A newer CE with the trem upgraded to a John Mann bridge has me extremely pleased sonically and ability to stay in tune. I only wish the newer CEs came with abalone birds and not plastic. But that’s nitpicking.

My newer CE was awesome, and I've owned 5 older CEs. The 2017 is the only one I'd buy back.

Every now and then I wander over here to see if there's an opportunity to rave about my SE Custom 24 Floyd. Perfect!

I've been at this a while (not to brag, just that I've been around the block with all kinds of players and instruments) and I can't fathom how an electric guitar could be nicer than this axe. Incredibly good intonation, super versatile with the SC/HB splits, smooth neck, great balance, holds tune nearly perfectly through hours of playing and sitting by itself - including trem use. Beautiful on the eyes, too. Immaculate finish. Whoever made it should be proud as heck. To quote the kids, "I can't even" with this guitar.

Throw another $2000 at this guitar and it's not a nicer guitar, it's bottled anxiety. Worried about dings, worried about humidity level, worried about storage, worried about letting anyone else touch it, worried about the extra money spent, worried about resale value, unrealistic expectations, etc. No thanks. I'll take this sub-$1000 tone machine and if I need to replace it or refret it, I won't need a month's wages or a specialized PRS luthier.

My axe does have the benefit of some non PRS SE parts though, which sway the argument a bit. The Floyd nut is fantastic with or without the locks and the Floyd bridge is so sweet once dialed in. Other SEs I've had (couple of Santanas, a Soapbar II) had issues that kept them from staying with me long term. Neck dive, body dive, weird nut slots. So out of 4 PRS SE, I dig one enough to keep.

Whatever gets you excited about playing, that's the most important thing. Maybe it's your super unique blue pearl finish. Maybe it's your punch-above-the-price-point mentality. Beyond that, who cares what other people are playing or what they think about what you're playing? For me these days, I've realized that obsessing over specs is a huge distraction from making music so I've vowed to quit it (2 months in, so far so good!), and this PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd is helping me get right down to the business with the music-making.

To each their own. But I know you'll find stuff like this on SE that's you simply won't find on American made. Something like this is a deal breaker for me. Now clearly that's not every guitar. And this is an extreme example but highlights the difference in craftsmanship. But something I could not overlook despite it having zero effect on how the guitar actually plays. I'm sure she plays stellar.
2iyz37R.jpg
I'm surprised to see they would finish a guitar like this ...

What I mean is, a body made of 3 pieces, I would think receive an opaque finish (black, dark red ) or something to conceal the joining of the 3 pieces of wood.

Builder guys say that once glued together, the body is as strong as a one piece. And has the added advantage of not being as prone to warp ... So I don't think this indicated lower craftsmanship , just less expensive materials.

Me, I dunno and I might own a bod or two like that (antique white and really dark stained mahogany ) so I would not know unless it were stripped.

And I think for manufacturers, therein lies the key ... You ain't gonna hear the differences (at least most of us neophytes and nubes aren't ) and once a distortion pedal is tossed in ... Well good luck guessing ..

And if it holds up as well ? It saves $$$ (and Trees ) and works well so they do that..

But if paying premium price for a "tonewood " Bod , I'd insist on one piece, or 2 at a max, even though I'd be playing into a belief that one piece is better.

But then I like translucent, burst, flamed finishes (don't own any flames yet, but I'm working on it) ... Flames almost require 2 piece tops (book matching ?) Perhaps over one piece of mahogany. So I guess its actually 3 pieces when done , even in the coolest 10 Tops ...

@CrimesAgainstMusic:

Regards a 2 or 3-piece guitar (meaning glued pieces fitting together), I'd think that this type of build might require an opaque finish as well. Foreseeably, there might be much less food for thought and much more expedience in this type of build. Contrary to popular belief, the added glue process may actually be a slower build process than a strict one-piece body build. However, the upfront cost in materials may offset the labor cost, thereby justifying the build process.

Just thinking this out as I type. Regards my experience of some folks who know their stuff, it makes sense to weigh all of the factors, from available funding to crowd sourcing, from quality of materials, to material and design costs, to onsite and outsourcing labor, to production, to required maintenance, to preventive care, to supportive services. All of these things factor in when a build project is considered. And no, I personally know nothing of the actual processes within these departments. I'm thinking strictly of what might be required to build a certain guitar that will provide quality tone that can keep costs to a minimum while still providing quality workmanship.

That guitar example is a Zach Myers natural finish quilt top. Beautiful front half. But that back is part of the reason I was surprised by the newest ZM models. I thought once he wanted black the entire back of the guitar would be black. To hide all the 3 pieces joints. I personally think they missed an opportunity there.

Every now and then I wander over here to see if there's an opportunity to rave about my SE Custom 24 Floyd. Perfect!

I've been at this a while (not to brag, just that I've been around the block with all kinds of players and instruments) and I can't fathom how an electric guitar could be nicer than this axe. Incredibly good intonation, super versatile with the SC/HB splits, smooth neck, great balance, holds tune nearly perfectly through hours of playing and sitting by itself - including trem use. Beautiful on the eyes, too. Immaculate finish. Whoever made it should be proud as heck. To quote the kids, "I can't even" with this guitar.

Throw another $2000 at this guitar and it's not a nicer guitar, it's bottled anxiety. Worried about dings, worried about humidity level, worried about storage, worried about letting anyone else touch it, worried about the extra money spent, worried about resale value, unrealistic expectations, etc. No thanks. I'll take this sub-$1000 tone machine and if I need to replace it or refret it, I won't need a month's wages or a specialized PRS luthier.

My axe does have the benefit of some non PRS SE parts though, which sway the argument a bit. The Floyd nut is fantastic with or without the locks and the Floyd bridge is so sweet once dialed in. Other SEs I've had (couple of Santanas, a Soapbar II) had issues that kept them from staying with me long term. Neck dive, body dive, weird nut slots. So out of 4 PRS SE, I dig one enough to keep.

Whatever gets you excited about playing, that's the most important thing. Maybe it's your super unique blue pearl finish. Maybe it's your punch-above-the-price-point mentality. Beyond that, who cares what other people are playing or what they think about what you're playing? For me these days, I've realized that obsessing over specs is a huge distraction from making music so I've vowed to quit it (2 months in, so far so good!), and this PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd is helping me get right down to the business with the music-making.

right on and is that redwood with pink knobs? FATALITY

right on and is that redwood with pink knobs? FATALITY

Um, I think it's the light the image was photographed. Clicking on the avatar shows reddish knobs, not so much pink ones. For minutes, I had to review the entire thread until I realized you were speaking about @alex1fly's avatar. The body wood looks fine, trim, well put together, its seen its time working out for him.

Um, I think it's the light the image was photographed. Clicking on the avatar shows reddish knobs, not so much pink ones. For minutes, I had to review the entire thread until I realized you were speaking about @alex1fly's avatar. The body wood looks fine, trim, well put together, its seen its time working out for him.

sorry maaan, you’re right on both counts. still got to get me some neon knobs.

USA core as I am not a gigging musician and just want the highest quality for my own satisfaction and enjoyment.

I did finally put my hands on an SE HB and was surprisingly impressed, I didn't have high expectations but it felt familiar, played really well, and was able to dial up a respectable Jazz tone out of it. If I was gigging I would have a couple and leave my core at home.

The subject of tone wood is an interesting one. I’ve seen videos on Anderton’s TV where they make snide digs about the notion of the best tone wood bodies being expensive one piece jobs (in that it’s not necessarily true).

But, they will happily drool over guitars costing three, four, five times as much, partly because of the expensive tone wood?!

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then perhaps tone is in the ear of the beholder?

Reactions: jxe
The subject of tone wood is an interesting one. I’ve seen videos on Anderton’s TV where they make snide digs about the notion of the best tone wood bodies being expensive one piece jobs (in that it’s not necessarily true).

But, they will happily drool over guitars costing three, four, five times as much, partly because of the expensive tone wood?!

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then perhaps tone is in the ear of the beholder?

@Uncle Bob:

Actually, it's a perception and combination of your body's physiology. Although I'm not a doctor or science major, it's common knowledge that your ears and their structure, as well as your cranium's sinus cavities which cause us each of to perceive what we hear differently, comprise the auditory system.

The result is that most folks are inclined to agree that better quality materials produce better tone, but since WHAT we hear is subjective because of HOW we each hear, there exists the reason why we may disagree on what sounds better to us. It's because each of us are uniquely made, and there isn't any question about that. The reason we can say this is because of each of our own unique personalities, and how we look to others.

Imagine if we were each born to look and act the same. Yikes. Our parents would have a tad bit of difficulty telling us apart.

@Uncle Bob:

Actually, it's a perception and combination of your body's physiology. Although I'm not a doctor or science major, it's common knowledge that your ears and their structure, as well as your cranium's sinus cavities which cause us each of to perceive what we hear differently, comprise the auditory system.

The result is that most folks are inclined to agree that better quality materials produce better tone, but since WHAT we hear is subjective because of HOW we each hear, there exists the reason why we may disagree on what sounds better to us. It's because each of us are uniquely made, and there isn't any question about that. The reason we can say this is because of each of our own unique personalities, and how we look to others.

Imagine if we were each born to look and act the same. Yikes. Our parents would have a tad bit of difficulty telling us apart.

So basically, what I just said.

Guitars happen. Love the one you’re with.

+1

Nitpicking things like what finish you prefer or how you're going to grow your gear collection is a waste of precious music-making time. I definitely fell into this even with the SE I raved about above. I got it, it was like magic, and immediately I started thinking "how good could ANOTHER PRS be??" $1500, two purchased guitars, another three auditioned Core guitars and two months later, the answer was quite clearly "not as good". And that was even missing the point. The guitar made ME better, but I was focused on how good the GUITAR was. Once I got my head right it was off to the races with my personal musical growth and proficiency on the instrument. The nice aesthetics do help me love the instrument, though, can't lie about that.

+1

Nitpicking things like what finish you prefer or how you're going to grow your gear collection is a waste of precious music-making time. I definitely fell into this even with the SE I raved about above. I got it, it was like magic, and immediately I started thinking "how good could ANOTHER PRS be??" $1500, two purchased guitars, another three auditioned Core guitars and two months later, the answer was quite clearly "not as good". And that was even missing the point. The guitar made ME better, but I was focused on how good the GUITAR was. Once I got my head right it was off to the races with my personal musical growth and proficiency on the instrument. The nice aesthetics do help me love the instrument, though, can't lie about that.

This is true. Many times we waste inordinate energy picking over various points, trying to find fault with other's reasoning, debating and arguing. Let's leave that to the college kids sitting in the dorm rooms munching on pizza and drinking beer.

You do realize what debate is, don't you? It's de thing you put on the end of de hook in order to catch de fish. The clue to save your finny self is to not take debate.

This is true. Many times we waste inordinate energy picking over various points, trying to find fault with other's reasoning, debating and arguing. Let's leave that to the college kids sitting in the dorm rooms munching on pizza and drinking beer.

You do realize what debate is, don't you? It's de thing you put on the end of de hook in order to catch de fish. The clue to save your finny self is to not take debate.

Ha, dig it. It's really quite amazing the hold that new gear has on us. Must be some intricate brain chemistry involved. I've been playing music for 25 years and still occasionally fall into the trap of Shopping > Playing. Definitely seems to happen more with guitars and basses though. When building out my other rigs I've certainly shopped and compared (drumset, recording gear, synthesizers, saxophone, cornet, ukulele), but it's a much shorter process. Guitar in particular seems to be driven by powerful forces that convince us guitarists that we need to keep buying stuff to be happy. Why that is is probably another topic altogether... marketing, user-driven behaviors, who picks up guitar vs other instruments, yadda yadda.

Guitar in particular seems to be driven by powerful forces that convince us guitarists that we need to keep buying stuff to be happy. Why that is is probably another topic altogether... marketing, user-driven behaviors, who picks up guitar vs other instruments, yadda yadda.

This is indeed what advertisers and R&D developers are aware of regards human psychology. As individuals, we always are looking for something new and exciting, or something more cost-effective that will do the job better for us at lower cost. It's ingrained into our DNA. Humans are never satisfied with the status quo, nor content with what they already own.

They want that larger house, that bigger wallet, that faster car. It's because of what our eyes see or our ears hear, that causes a desire for that item. Some of us would do just about anything to buy legally (or steal illegally) something that they thought were of value to them.

The powerful forces you speak of are our 5 senses (sometimes 6), that we use each day to comprehend our world. Combined with our perceptive powers and reason, our 5 senses can be both an accurate gauge of our world, and can also be tricked into believing something that seems to be too good to be true. While this is not our 5 senses failing us, it is our own imperfect minds that sometimes confuse the incredible with what is real.

Advertisers are always enticing potential buyers to their products so the buyers will buy their product. Advertisers know that if something looks sleek, or shows powerful features, or looks sexy, or sounds phenomenal at whatever level you play it, the better chance the advertisers can sell that product to you.

Have you ever noticed that trashy-looking junk or ugly things never sells? The only redeeming factor is if that ugly thing sounds wonderful to your ears. Though you'd still have a really difficult time selling trashy-ugly, but then again, good luck with your sale...

Back