Your Feelings: Core or Imported?

These days I'm very much into quality over quantity. So for me it's the best guitar I can get for my budget, I can only play one at a time :). So definitely one Core over multiple SEs. That said, in the past I've owned Core, S2, and SE models, and all have been great guitars. I've downsized to 2 electrics at the moment, and both are S2. I've been deeply smitten by the Vela, so that's what I have. I don't need more - though as my current business venture ramps up I'm sure there will eventually be a couple more, but I've never been one to keep more than 4 or 5 at a time.

Country of origin doesn't matter to me, what matters is buying from the best manufacturing facility the company has available. In PRS, and the other big brands, that means America because that's where the companies are headquartered. If I was into shredder guitars I'd probably be looking at Japanese Ibanezes - but those aren't my style.

I will say getting a natural finish SE can have its drawbacks. Usually not one piece wood. So I can see where 3 different slabs of mahogany were brought together. But that’s the looks. I’ll be darn if I can feel a big difference play/feel wise. It’s the Pups that I hear the most difference. Which is a given at cheaper price points.

Living in the UK, the vast majority of guitars are imports - regardless of whether they are made in the US or in Asia. I don't care where an instrument is made, I care more about the quality of the materials and the work. The issue is not so much where they are made, its the principal by which they are made. If you look at PRS for example an SE is made overseas but to hit a specific price point. If they made the SE like a core in Indonesia with the same quality materials etc, it would probably cost as much as a CE, if not more so they have to compromise on materials too.

They are not just cheaper because labour and overheads are cheaper, they are cheaper because they are built to a price point - whether that's $500 or $1500. The difference is that the Price determines the build and quality where as with a core, the build and quality determines the price. When you can use all the very best materials and take as much time as needed to ensure everything is 'perfect', that sets the price. However, if you have a price point to meet, say $500, you are limited to what materials you can use, how much time you can spend on each instrument etc.

There is no reason that an Asian Luthier could not make Guitars from all the same quality materials, spend as much time crafting and ensuring everything is 'perfect', built with the same passion and care as any US Luthier and make it much cheaper because of lower overheads/labour costs. Companies though aren't going to these and asking them to make 'high' end guitars to compete with their own US designs, they are going over there to ask for guitars built to hit certain price points under what they could make in the US. Because there is a 'price' limitation, you get 'compromises' made to hit that price point. If you are making compromises, then its not as 'good'. What building overseas allows though is less compromise because the labour and overheads are less - you are likely to get better quality for $500 if made in China for example than in the US.

An SE is great value for money because its made overseas to a price point. They certainly punch above their price point compared to a US made Core PRS for example - we all know they are not a quarter of the guitar despite being a quarter of the price. That difference though is going to be something that the individual will have to assess if its worth it or not. That can vary from person to person, what disposable income they have to spend on a guitar, what that guitar offers and how much you may want/need its features etc.

For example, If a Custom 24 is your main instrument, you may feel its worth spending more to get the core version but then you have 1 song you do that needs a 7 or 12 String or a Floyd Rose. For what you want/need, spending $4k+ on it doesn't make sense so looking for a cheap import equivalent is logical - nothing is stopping you from upgrading later. If you only have $1k to spend, then maybe an Import is a better buy, less compromises than a $1k US made guitar may have.

Regardless, everyone is different. I can't say I would never buy a 'Made in China' guitar because if it was the 'right' guitar for me at that point for whatever reason, where its made is irrelevant. I wouldn't spend 'Core' money on a 12 string or a 7+ string instrument right now - even if I have the money to do so. I would look to an Asian import because I don't play anything needing more than 6strings enough to justify that cost. However, if I won the lottery, then I probably wouldn't buy an import. My opinion would change because the circumstances are different. Therefore, I don't have a 'fixed' opinion, its very much dependent on the situation at the time. The last thing I ever look at is 'where' the instrument is assembled...

Last edited:
I will say getting a natural finish SE can have its drawbacks. Usually not one piece wood. So I can see where 3 different slabs of mahogany were brought together. But that’s the looks. I’ll be darn if I can feel a big difference play/feel wise. It’s the Pups that I hear the most difference. Which is a given at cheaper price points.

This is true. While not "bad" materials or labor, they're not the same quality or measure of time spent built. You gotta realize that maintenance on lower quality instruments might be also higher, the same way when you grow older, your body needs more maintenance, otherwise it suffers injury more often. I prefer to think of it like how one might maintain a house or building. You have builders, you have owners, you have maintenance and repair. The maintenance part also involves regular cleaning. You wash your car, yes? You clean your house, yes? Maintenance is an integral part of ownership.

Imported guitars are tinkerers' guitars which typically require extra maintenance because as an owner, your modifications to your "build" also require set-ups and intonation, truss rod tweaks, upgrades, etc.

I know that I could afford a USA PRS, if really wanted one, even a Core model. Not that I don’t want one, and it might be tough sell to my Mrs., at this time. Although, she is very supportive of my journey. But, first, I’m not that far into re-learning the guitar to justify it. Second, I haven’t figured out the exact sound I want to make, yet. So, having several SE’s allows me to explore and experience all the different PRS offerings without a major outlay of cash that would likely limit me to one, possibly two to three options.

If my recent acquisition of the SE CU 24, 35th Anniversary, which I feel is the best sounding SE that I currently own, and is getting closer to the sound that I want, is any indication of how good they get, I may someday cave and get a USA PRS. But two things, I won’t be able to decide until I’ve first had an extended go with a SE HB II Piezo, and then I will never be able drop the coin on a Core or better without first holding it in my hands. Until then, I am deliriously happy with the quality, feel and sound of my import SE’s, especially compared to similarly budget and also import offerings from the other manufacturers, and will continue to explore and collect them.

Last edited:
I know that I could afford a USA PRS, if really wanted one, even a Core or PS model. Not that I don’t want one, and it might be tough sell to my Mrs., at this time. Although, she is very supportive of my journey. But, first, I’m not that far into re-learning the guitar to justify it. Second, I haven’t figured out the exact sound I want to make, yet. So, having several SE’s allows me to explore and experience all the different PRS offerings without a major outlay of cash that would likely limit me to one, possibly two to three options.

If my recent acquisition of the SE CU 24, 35th Anniversary, which I feel is the best sounding SE that I currently own, and is getting closer to the sound that I want, is any indication of how good they get, I may someday cave and get a USA PRS. But two things, I won’t be able to decide until I’ve first had an extended go with a SE HB II Piezo, and then I will never be able drop the coin on a Core or better without first holding it in my hands. Until then, I am deliriously happy with the quality, feel and sound of my import SE’s, especially compared to similarly budget and also import offerings from the other manufacturers, and will continue to explore and collect them.

When I first read your post, I thought you were considering sell your wife:oops:

Living in the UK, the vast majority of guitars are imports - regardless of whether they are made in the US or in Asia. I don't care where an instrument is made, I care more about the quality of the materials and the work. The issue is not so much where they are made, its the principal by which they are made. If you look at PRS for example an SE is made overseas but to hit a specific price point. If they made the SE in Indonesia with the same quality materials etc, it would probably cost as much as a CE, if not more so they have to compromise on materials too.

They are not just cheaper because labour and overheads are cheaper, they are cheaper because they are built to a price point - whether that's $500 or $1500. The difference is that the Price determines the build and quality where as with a core, the build and quality determines the price. When you can use all the very best materials and take as much time as needed to ensure everything is 'perfect', that sets the price. However, if you have a price point to meet, say $500, you are limited to what materials you can use, how much time you can spend on each instrument etc.

There is no reason that an Asian Luthier could not make Guitars from all the same quality materials, spend as much time crafting and ensuring everything is 'perfect', built with the same passion and care as any US Luthier and make it much cheaper because of lower overheads/labour costs. Companies though aren't going to these and asking them to make 'high' end guitars to compete with their own US designs, they are going over there to as for guitars built to hit certain price points under what they could make in the US. Because there is a 'price' limitation, you get 'compromises' made to hit that price point. If you are making compromises, then its not as 'good'. What building overseas allows though is less compromise because the labour and overheads are less - you are likely to get better quality for $500 if made in China for example than in the US.

An SE is great value for money because its made overseas to a price point. They certainly punch above their price point compared to a US made Core PRS for example - we all know they are not a quarter of the guitar despite being a quarter of the price. That difference though is going to be something that the individual will have to assess if its worth it or not. That can vary from person to person, what disposable income they have to spend on a guitar, what that guitar offers and how much you may want/need its features etc.

For example, If a Custom 24 is your main instrument, you may feel its worth spending more to get the core version but then you have 1 song you do that needs a 7 or 12 String or a Floyd Rose. For what you want/need, spending $4k+ on it doesn't make sense so looking for a cheap import equivalent is logical - nothing is stopping you from upgrading later. If you only have $1k to spend, then maybe an Import is a better buy, less compromises than a $1k US made guitar may have.

Regardless, everyone is different. I can't say I would never buy a 'Made in China' guitar because if it was the 'right' guitar for me at that point for whatever reason, where its made is irrelevant. I wouldn't spend 'Core' money on a 12 string or a 7+ string instrument right now - even if I have the money to do so. I would look to an Asian import because I don't play anything needing more than 6strings enough to justify that cost. However, if I won the lottery, then I probably wouldn't buy an import. My opinion would change because the circumstances are different. Therefore, I don't have a 'fixed' opinion, its very much dependent on the situation at the time. The last thing I ever look at is 'where' the instrument is assembled...

A lot of the cost for us in the UK is transportation/taxation.

The SE range is similar in price for US/UK because they are import guitars for both country (I think).

I’m lucky to own some Dundee made guitars that are luthier built and GG (gift guitar) so I have the best of both worlds.

I'd purchase 1 core and then start saving up for another...however long that may take! I'd rather have one really nice one to use instead.

However, if that is beyond one's budget then you have to get what you can afford.

That is the smart move. We all might like to budget for nice things, but life sometimes throws a curve ball at us and these things need our attention. Case in point, I set aside money for emergency purposes each paycheck (major car repairs, personal injury, extended work absences, home appliance repair or replacement). If nothing unforeseen occurs (though one can never anticipate unforeseen) that money is a "protection" against what could happen.

If over time, that money grows substantially or in recent case with the stimulus checks, so that a luxury purchase can be obtained, then, a higher ticket item purchase might be considered. For some reason, I seldom purchase anything substantially expensive with money I don't have. The only exception was my recent McCarty. I trusted that the recent stimulus checks would be issued, but needed to ask family to front a loan until the loan could be repaid. With the assistance of some of my recent tax refunds, and my eBay sale, the check to family has been written, and we're even.

My personal feeling regards any form of gear purchase is simple: If one can afford the best, buy it. If one can't, buy the most cost-effective item you can that does the job needed and provides the quality tone that you wish. If that means buying used in very good condition, there's no shame in that. If one buys an entry-level or next-level-up piece that you can modify and upgrade, so be it. The reality is, one can be sure that at the end of the day, you put your gear away, clean up, and be thankful for what you already have, that's all that's really needed.

To each their own. But I know you'll find stuff like this on SE that's you simply won't find on American made. Something like this is a deal breaker for me. Now clearly that's not every guitar. And this is an extreme example but highlights the difference in craftsmanship. But something I could not overlook despite it having zero effect on how the guitar actually plays. I'm sure she plays stellar.
2iyz37R.jpg

Last edited:
To each their own. But I know you'll find stuff like this on SE that's you simply won't find on American made. Something like this is a deal breaker for me. Now clearly that's not every guitar. And this is an extreme example but highlights the difference in craftsmanship. But something I could not overlook despite it having effecting zero effect on how the guitar actually plays. I'm sure she plays stellar.
2iyz37R.jpg

If I hear you correctly you're saying a three-piece body is a deal-breaker. Kind of like asking a hot dog vendor, make me one with everything and only receiving a hot dog with onions and relish. I hear that. TBH, I'm not sure what's better. Eating a hot dog at the lake or owning a three-piece guitar.

To each their own. But I know you'll find stuff like this on SE that's you simply won't find on American made. Something like this is a deal breaker for me. Now clearly that's not every guitar. And this is an extreme example but highlights the difference in craftsmanship. But something I could not overlook despite it having effecting zero effect on how the guitar actually plays. I'm sure she plays stellar.
2iyz37R.jpg

‘paperboard wall treatment’

I’d prefer a single core over multiple SE, which is what I had in my HB for 12 years before I got to expand my collection. But I’m a big proponent of purchasing pre-owned. The HB and the SVN were purchased new, but my Santana, Dweezil, Archtop and CU22 were pre-owned, and all were absolutely ridiculous deals. I estimate that I saved at least $14k not purchasing them new. Anyways I think the build quality of the core line better represents a pro level, studio ready tool/instrument, as well as a piece of art, and that’s what I’ll choose to save up for 5 years or longer to obtain. And I do appreciate that they’re made in America by a team that seem to genuinely like the company they work for (unlike Foxconn with their suicide nets :confused:).That said, I am impressed with my SE SVN,

Last edited:
My first PRS I owned was a Tremonti SE but I sold it pretty quick during the "lawsuit " jump in value.
Later I stumbled onto a KL33 and then a 305 so on and so on. I used the buy , sell , trade repeat and some zero interest PayPal to get to wear I got to today :)
Sergio has the nicest SE I have ever played !!!

I have 3 SEs in my house, and rather more Core models than that. I don't care all that much where they come from, but where I notice the difference as a player is that the SEs don't stay in tune as well generally, and the pickups are a hair less good (especially since 57/08 and later pickups were introduced).

I think some nut work would do my SEs a world of good, but so far my experiments with nut files have been... not great. The next logical step seems to be to replace the nut altogether, but even on a guitar that costs hundreds of dollars, I'm still very hesitant to knock the existing nut out of place and replace it. Because it's a guitar, y'know. However humble its origins, I feel like I'd be knocking its teeth out and promising to replace them, and with my caveman skills it might not be anywhere near as good afterwards.

My next guitar is more likely an S2 than a PS, which isn't to say that the PS won't come along once I know what it wants to be.

My very 1st PRS was an '02 PRS Santana SE that I kept for a few years.

I've also owned 2 Tremoniti SE's and a 245 SE as well.

They're all long gone now, but they were decent enough guitars.

For me, they just didn't quite have the overall feel and tone in stock form.

I just couldn't justify putting any money to upgrade them.

Now that I have 3 Core PRS guitars, I just have no need to buy any of the lower end line.

I'm not a guitar buying snob by any means, but I'd rather buy guitars I don't have to upgrade in the future.

To each their own. But I know you'll find stuff like this on SE that's you simply won't find on American made. Something like this is a deal breaker for me. Now clearly that's not every guitar. And this is an extreme example but highlights the difference in craftsmanship. But something I could not overlook despite it having zero effect on how the guitar actually plays. I'm sure she plays stellar.
2iyz37R.jpg

Visually, this is jarring. From the standpoint of crafting, this is more difficult than the one-piece US made backs because you have to run all three pieces through a jointer, glue them, and plane them flat on both sides and then machine.

On the other hand, I see the trend of burl, spalted, and sapwood everywhere and I don't see that as being particularly high in craftsmanship because burl has voids that have to be filled, spalted wood is half-rotted, and sapwood has a different density than heartwood so there's uneven strength across the piece.

That said, the preference of Core to import would largely depend on usage. If I'm playing at home, record, or play a few scattered shows, I'd have a core.

If I had the same budget and toured extensively, I'd have multiple imports as backups in case one failed. The imports are solid and I don't think by the time the audio goes through the console and onto audience ears, they'd be able to tell a difference.

From the standpoint of crafting, this is more difficult than the one-piece US made backs because you have to run all three pieces through a jointer, glue them, and plane them flat on both sides and then machine.

True - but you save money by buying smaller planks instead of buying big logs big enough to make a guitar body from. Whilst the wood is 'called' Mahogany, its also not part of the Swietenia family of Mahogany.

An-Overview-of-Mahogany.png

Point is, they can use 'Phillipine' Mahogany for example (or combinations of different woods that can pass for Mahogany) and still say it has a Mahogany back but cheaper as its not on CITEs lists and don't need to buy planks big enough to make a body...

Whether that matters or not will very much depend on the person and their personal feelings. Its just another area where 'compromise' is made to make the guitars to that price point. Its just another way of reducing the costs overall - even if there is a bit more work needed to make a body blank. The fact they have to glue on a paper thick veneer on top too adds another step but its cheaper in the long run...

Back