Your Favorite Vintage Amp

My # 1 amplifier is my 1964 blackface "Fender Elect. Inst. Co." DeLuxe non reverb.

I was on jury duty many years ago,
before the word "vintage" reared its ugly head.
We broke for lunch.

Across the street from the courthouse there was (and still is) a string of pawnshops.
In one of them was a used Fender amplifier.
As I was looking at it the pawnshop guy came over.

Him: "You want this thing? I can't get rid of it 'cause it ain't got no reverb."
Me: "How much?"
Him: "Gimmie 80 dollars and it's yours."

After lunch:
Bailiff: "What's that?"
Me: "It's a guitar amplifier I just bought across the street."
Bailiff: "OK. You have to keep it with you."
Me: "OK."

It's still with me.

:)

Last edited:
My # 1 amplifier is my 1964 blackface "Fender Elect. Inst. Co." DeLuxe non reverb.

I was on jury duty many years ago,
before the word "vintage" reared its ugly head.
We broke for lunch.

Across the street from the courthouse there was (and still is) a string of pawnshops.
In one of them was a used Fender amplifier.
As I was looking at it the pawnshop guy came over.

Him: "You want this thing? I can't get rid of it 'cause it ain't got no reverb."
Me: "How much?"
Him: "Gimmie 80 dollars and it's yours."

After lunch:
Bailiff: "What's that?"
Me: "It's a guitar amplifier I just bought across the street."
Bailiff: "OK. You have to keep it with you."
Me: "OK."

It's still with me.

:)
Ahhhh, the Sister of my Super!

Completely stock ‘64 AC30 Top Boost. Only mod is a Dr Z. Brakelite mounted in back inside left.
This thing does classic/hard rock tones like nothing else.

I’ve also got a mint ‘80 JMP 2203 and a mint ‘83 Boogie MKIIB, but I wouldn’t count them as vintage I guess?

Last edited:
Completely stock ‘64 AC30 Top Boost. Only mod is a Dr Z. Brakelite mounted in back inside left.
This thing does classic/hard rock tones like nothing else.

I’ve also got a mint ‘80 JMP 2203 and a mint ‘83 Boogie MKIIB, but I wouldn’t count them as vintage I guess?

That Vox is one of my dream amps. I like the reissue from the 90s, but the vibe of a genuine early to mid 60s model is the real deal. Very nice.

Depending on who you talk to, “vintage” as an age is either over 20 or 30 years. All of yours qualify there. I’ve also heard it said vintage is something representative of an era or technology of a period. And you still qualify. I think you’re all good for the vintage tag on amps!

Not like all the previous posts, but my claim to vintage fame is an original '87 (that I bought in 1987 with $725 of hard earned high school money) marshall silver jubilee 100w head 2555, serial number 0316.

And bought a c
Not like all the previous posts, but my claim to vintage fame is an original '87 (that I bought in 1987 with $725 of hard earned high school money) marshall silver jubilee 100w head 2555, serial number 0316.
And bought a captorX so I can actually enjoy it at home!

Not sure it classified as vintage but the best amp I had was an early 90,s peavey classic 30,s,
Great sounding amp another one that I shouldn’t have sold

I love the King of All Amps....

nT2zAdl.jpg

My 1958 high powered tweed Twin. 80 watts of tweed juiciness on tap for any situation.

I restored it a few years ago. It originally came to me like this:

HOo3613.jpg

What is your favorite Vintage amp to pair with your PRS Guitars?
I have sold off the majority of my Vintage amps except for this Valco made Gretsch from 1960
that is still all original and clean.
I was playing it the other day with some P-90's and just can't see myself ever parting with it.
I just wanted to share this cool amp with some Retro inspired PRS with the forum.

w9L82Ke.jpg

The story on this one,
Back in 1998 I was doing my weekly pawn shop cruise living in Austin, TX wandered into an old Doc Holliday's on Burnet Road. Looking around it was mostly import trash guitars and solid-state amps.
Walked over to what looked like a pile of beat guitar cases, started digging around and noticed a big white case was underneath. Low and behold it was a frigging 50's Gretsch 6120 cowboy case with the tooled leather trim.
I just started freaking out, knowing what it was. Grabbed it and walked over and asked the guy barley awake behind the counter what he wanted for it. He said, " What will you give me?" So, I said how about 30 bucks?
He says sure, and I give him the money and ran like hell. Well, I did not have any Gretsch Guitars that needed that case, but my buddy Dale at Workhorse Guitars did. Long story short I traded Dale the guitar case for the amp and have enjoyed all these years!

Please show your favorite vintage amps and share your stories about them!

Folks, I’ve been playing guitar for over 50 years. That’s a long time, and I’ve had a crap ton of amps, including any number of vintage amps when they were brand new amps going back to 1966-7.

I’ve been in the music biz for the last 32 years, and during that time I’ve recorded a great many new and old amps for my national ad and documentary work. Many were mine, many were brought into my studio, or outside studios I’ve booked here and in Europe for recording sessions with great players.

Along the back wall in the center of this picture are my very own DG30 and HXDA amplifiers, brilliantly designed and built by PRS in Maryland, USA. I bought each one right when they were introduced, eight or so years ago. They are each fully loaded with 40-year-old NOS vacuum tubes, they’re hand wired, and they’re in unmodified, immaculate condition.

These amplifiers are the finest tools for making electric guitar sounds ever devised by human beings on this planet, and the fact that they're only eight years old is an irrelevancy. They're highly desirable amps any way you slice 'em. That's vintage enough for me.

I’ve demonstrated a mere sliver of what these amps can be made to sound like (with no dirt pedals) in my 'Les Rediscovers Rock' thread. They are capable of far more.

In light of these incontrovertible facts, and by the power I have vested in myself as a vintage lunatic, I hereby declare the HXDA and DG30 vintage amps.

Quibble over their age if you must - I'll put 'em up against any amp ever made!

HG80883.jpg

Last edited:
Two vintage and one modern vintage:

- 1967 blackface Band Master, identical to the one in the picture earlier in this thread. Got it 15 years ago for $500 at GC ... with the original pre-amp tubes.

- Germino Club 40, Greg's 2003 re-creation of the rare Marshall JTM-50 from the mid-1960s. I'll take that one to the old folks home.

- 1974 Hiwatt DR504. You can eventually get it to break up - but it will never sag. By then the squirrels outside the room are falling out of trees.

1iSnRv0.jpg

=K

Last edited:
Back