Your favorite/preferred guitar(s) for Narrowfield pickups?

Your favorite/preferred guitar(s) for Narrowfield pickups? [Multiple choices allowed.]

• NF3

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Studio

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Modern Eagle III

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Special Semi-Hollow

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • McCarty Narrowfield

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Swamp Ash Special Narrowfield

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Something else that I've forgotten from this list

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
For those of you who have or have tried Narrowfield pickups, in which format do you think they've really excelled? (I'm generally referring to the already-existing "57/08" NF's; although if anybody's gotten their hands on these new 2021 ones, feel free to speak up about them.) I've been lucky enough to systematically buy/try/(and sadly, sell) many different PRSi with many different pickups, but never these. I'm hugely interested, though, since I began my guitar life as a single-coil guy and I still really appreciate them.

The whole narrow-field idea is intriguing to me; much as I find the design of the neck pickup on my 408 to be a genius concept. [Extra credit: can anybody tell me if the Narrowfields and the 408 bass pickup (and/or treble pickup in the Paul's Guitar) are essentially "close-enough" in their outcomes? Like... the McCarty Narrowfield guitar vs. Paul's Guitar--different takes of nearly the same thing?]

Most beautiful sounding guitar I’ve ever owned. Nothing else sounds like it.

2016 20th PS Anniversary model. Narrowfield middle pickup, Paul’s Guitar narrow 408s. For me, best middle pickup ever. And different from the narrow 408 pickups.

ptKq9zh.jpg

if memory serves, the rhythm guitar track combines neck and middle pickups on this little demo I did of the guitar a while back. Played through PRS HXDA amp and PRS cab.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/pedaland-4

Last edited:

2016 20th PS Anniversary model. Narrowfield middle pickup, Paul’s Guitar narrow 408s. For me, best middle pickup ever. And different from the narrow 408 pickups.

ptKq9zh.jpg

if memory serves, the rhythm guitar track combines neck and middle pickups on this little demo I did of the guitar a while back. Played through PRS HXDA amp and PRS cab.

Love this one. You’re right there isn’t anything else like it.
Since this year is the 25th anniversary of PS I wonder if they plan to release something later to commemorate.

ptKq9zh.jpg

Good LAWD AMIGHTY that is a sexy-looking guitar, Les. That's one of the colors that haunts my dreams the most...

Thanks for the track--those tones are awesome. Definitely up my alley, style-wise.

ptKq9zh.jpg

I will second Les’s vote for the 20th Anny PS model (mine is Aquaviolet, which wasn’t a regular color for the run as it was a prototype made for a charity auction)

toETgM5.jpg

I’d also like to put in a vote for the NF in this one...while similar to a Special Semi-Hollow the unique Pre-amp and ability to split the middle NF pickup allow for some beautiful and unique sounds. This is my go to for recording clean rhythm parts. (The SSH is very close though).

GDtg4dk.jpg

rWkS7cO.jpg

23ZH9Gt.jpg

For those of you who have or have tried Narrowfield pickups, in which format do you think they've really excelled? (I'm generally referring to the already-existing "57/08" NF's; although if anybody's gotten their hands on these new 2021 ones, feel free to speak up about them.) I've been lucky enough to systematically buy/try/(and sadly, sell) many different PRSi with many different pickups, but never these. I'm hugely interested, though, since I began my guitar life as a single-coil guy and I still really appreciate them.

The whole narrow-field idea is intriguing to me; much as I find the design of the neck pickup on my 408 to be a genius concept. [Extra credit: can anybody tell me if the Narrowfields and the 408 bass pickup (and/or treble pickup in the Paul's Guitar) are essentially "close-enough" in their outcomes? Like... the McCarty Narrowfield guitar vs. Paul's Guitar--different takes of nearly the same thing?]

I like the Hum, NF, NF the best. However, my PTC conversion goes to 11!
image1_zpsqjqqeyog.jpg

image5_zpskez4ztzt.jpg

image11_zps1w5eymgt.jpg

Whoa, @bodia, you shoehorned 'em into a Santana! You're a naughty boy...
Yeah, I had the PTC install them when they were refinishing the back from blue to white. I actually got the Narrowfields, in the custom ebony rings, from @helmi . He had 3 of them installed in his SC58 (I think. It was a SC, for sure). Also done by the PTC. Can't recall who he had make the custom ebony rings.

Back