Your favorite guitar body shapes - What are they?

jfb

Plank Owner
My favorite shapes are based on looks though I have played all of them and find them mega comfortable and a joy to play.

PRS DC - This is the shape I play 99.9% of the time. To me it's the sexiest and the most comfortable of all.

PRS 1980 - Emil's black sparkle 1980 makes me want to find one on the cheap and call PTC. Love symmetricalness.

PRS JA-15 - I dream of one with a wrap around bridge. If I don't score a production model first I will own one eventually.

Music Man EVH - I loved these guitars. They knocked these out of the park. One of my favorite headstock shapes too.

Most of my favorites are PRS which should come as no surprise.

What are your favorite shapes? Are they your favorites for look or feel or both?

I like the Les Paul shape, along with the single cutaway and double cutaway Junior versions. I love the Gibson Explorer/Hamer Standard shape too. PRS-wise, I like the DC (DGT), the single cutaways (Stripped 58 and SE One), and the original Santana. I've owned some Fenders in the past, but I never had one that felt all that comfortable to me. Plus, they just didn't 'do it' for me. I've seen and played some great Strats, but they're just not my ideal guitar.

Most other brands, not too interested...

Lloyd

Last edited:
Always liked the Mockingbird as a body shape but never cared for the way the guitars played or sounded. For PRS, the singlecut.

Fender Stratocaster--the ultimate combination of aesthetics and function
PRS DC--a modern classic
Gibson SG--elegant and quintessentially Gibson
Gibson Flying V--cool-looking, but not comfortable for me to play!
Gibson reverse Firebird--not ergonomic for me either, but, darn, they look cool!
Fender Telecaster--just because they sound so good, but not quite as pretty as a Strat
Rickenbacker double-bound 360--unique and classy
Vox Phantom--awful guitars, but cool Picasso-esque aesthetic
If mandolins count--Gibson F-5

LP style's for me. I love my Stripper & my R7. Also very "at home" with a tele. I do have some big love for my Epi 58 Flying V too!

If I wasn't completely faithful to PRS (any model as long as it has pointy headstock), my second choice would be ESP LTD F50. Because of the pointy body. I like pointy. (but not B.C.Rich pointy)

My first love will always be the Strat, it's just so curvy. I like the way a Les Paul wraps around you. Controversially one of the nicest guitars I ever had was an Ibanez S series, lightweight, curvy and the wizard necks are so comfortable to play on. Actually more controversially I have a couple of Parker Niteflys, I love every aspect of their design.

doublecut PRS
Stratocaster
Telecaster (especially with arm/belly contours)

The Les Paul or Singlecut shapes feel awkward to me and don't balance right on me. Plus, they just look unbalanced.

Here's Mine :p
il_fullxfull.239941771.jpg

Quite a bit of variety going on here. Interesting.

Always liked the Mockingbird as a body shape but never cared for the way the guitars played or sounded. For PRS, the singlecut.

I also think it is a cool shape, but I've played a few and they've all been neck dive city. I couldn't take it.

PRS' SC, Tele and Jazz Master. But the Jackson's Chris Broderick Soloist is growing on me too.

Tele and Jazzmaster are good ones. Every so often I miss my Jazzmaster until I look over at my flock of birds.

I love PRS custom,Fender strat and Gibson flying v.They are all comfy for me playing both sitting and standing up.

Last edited:
Back