Your fav band and why?

Yes

:) Obviously, both are killer drummers. The real choice here is the music. Mike was pushing the band to be heavier and heavier. To some degree I had no issue with that as long as they didn't go cookie monster. But he continually pushed James to sing WAY high. His voice was so destroyed by halfway through each tour, that he couldn't come close to singing the songs like they were on the albums. James has been significantly better on the albums, and WAY better live, since Mangini came on board.

The mixes are also different. When MP was in the band, the mixes were drums were MUCH more prominent in the mix. That alone changes the feel of the songs, all other things being equal. And while there was a "power" to those thundering drums that is gone, the improved vocals kind of offset that.

That said, it's very hard to choose musically. They were my all time favorite band before the switch. But it's sure hard to argue with what has come since the switch. Several of their best albums ever, for sure.

Mangini put on a clinic at Gearfest a couple of years ago. May be my favorite clinic ever. He was demonstrating weird mind-blowing timings and one-handed drum rolls. I also saw him with Tribe of Judah (with Gary Cherone) at NAMM 2003, shortly after Extreme broke up. There were only about 20 of us in this tiny demo room, and I sat next to the cameraman. It was louder than hell, and didn’t translate well in the recording, but Mancini was awesome.

Last edited:
Which part?

I like DLR

or

Sammy can actually sing?

That DLR can’t sing, but hey it’s not worth falling out over.

For me, DLR had an energy within VH. Sammy didn’t do it for me in the same way. But we all like different things.

I saw DLR on a solo tour in mid 90’s. Even without VH, he still had tremendous stage presence.

That DLR can’t sing, but hey it’s not worth falling out over.

For me, DLR had an energy within VH. Sammy didn’t do it for me in the same way. But we all like different things.

I saw DLR on a solo tour in mid 90’s. Even without VH, he still had tremendous stage presence.

My band’s name for many years was “Spirit of Roth.” The name came from the fact that DLR spent his earliest years in New Castle, my small hometown. His father, Nate*, who became a famous opthamologist, went to high school here, and his uncle used to own my office building where he operated Roth’s grocery and tavern. There are still charred floor joists in the basement from a fire that occurred in Roth’s building in the 40s. Somewhere, I still have an old newspaper account of that fire in Roth’s tavern.

Years ago, David’s uncle Manny unexpectedly stopped by my office to tell me about his brother who used to own the building, and his famous nephew who sang for Van Halen. Manny had owned a famous rock club in NYC, where many famous rock acts had performed. I believe the name of the nightclub was “Cafe Wha?”.

In the basement of the building, I still have my office, although officially retired, and my band rehearsal room; hence we are “moved” by the spirit of Roth.

Don‘t get me wrong; I’m a huge fan of DLR. I just happen to think Sammy is one of the truly great rock vocalists stemming back to his Montrose days. It’s ALL good!

EDIT: Years ago, my wife’s uncle was visiting from California and he told us that Nate Roth was his friend and ophthalmologist. When we told him we were Van Halen fans, he asked if we would like to have Nate get us something autographed by his son. Obviously, we thought that was pretty cool, and I gave Uncle Mark this album cover to be signed. A few weeks later, we received it back in the mail. We thought it was a hoot, because “Memorial Park” is in our small town, and a place DLR must have remembered from his childhood.

Last edited:
My band’s name for many years was “Spirit of Roth.” The name came from the fact that DLR spent his earliest years in New Castle, my hometown. His father, Nate, who became a famous opthamologist, went to high school here, and his uncle used to own my office building where he operated Roth’s grocery and tavern. There are still charred floor joists in the basement from a fire that occurred in Roth’s building in the 40s. Somewhere, I still have an old newspaper account of that fire in Roth’s tavern.

Years ago, David’s uncle Manny unexpectedly stopped by my office to tell me about his brother who used to own the building, and his famous nephew who sang for Van Halen. Manny had owned a famous rock club in NYC, where many famous rock acts had performed. Appropriately, I believe the name of the nightclub was “Manny’s”.

In the basement of the building, I still have my office, although officially retired, and my band rehearsal room; hence we are “moved” by the spirit of Roth.

Don‘t get me wrong; I’m a huge fan of DLR. I just happen to think Sammy is one of the truly great rock vocalists stemming back to his Montrose days. It’s ALL good!

To quote you “it’s all good”

I prefer Sammy. The only time I've seen VH live was with DLR, and he was excellent, but vocally Sammy is on an entirely different level.

There is not doubt Sammy is a better singer. While many think DLR is a better "frontman." While I may agree with that, it's a bit different when you're playing guitar most of the show like Sammy, were Dave was just running around being Dave.

What most people object to about Sammy was that the vibe of the band changed. Eddie finally had another guitar player, which allowed him to actually play and write songs based on the keyboards. To many, that was a bad thing. I think it was a natural extension of, and change for the band. I love both eras. I prefer DLR era music, but no question Sammy is a better singer.

Manny had owned a famous rock club in NYC, where many famous rock acts had performed. Appropriately, I believe the name of the nightclub was “Manny’s”.
Yes. Famous rock club! Edit: but right, as noted later, the STORE was Manny’s.
Agree!

And DANG! That's a cool story!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mangini put on a clinic at Gearfest a couple of years ago. May be my favorite clinic ever. He was demonstrating weird mind-blowing timings and one-handed drum rolls.

While listening to the whole song is more better, go to 4:55 and listen to about the next 10 seconds. This blew me away the first time I heard it, and still does. It's over quickly, but just incredible.

While listening to the whole song is more better, go to 4:55 and listen to about the next 10 seconds. This blew me away the first time I heard it, and still does. It's over quickly, but just incredible.

Mangini holds (or did?) the certified world record for the most hits (1,203) on a snare in a minute. That’s over 20 hits per second x 60. Let that sink in.

Last edited:
My band’s name for many years was “Spirit of Roth.” The name came from the fact that DLR spent his earliest years in New Castle, my small hometown. His father, Nate*, who became a famous opthamologist, went to high school here, and his uncle used to own my office building where he operated Roth’s grocery and tavern. There are still charred floor joists in the basement from a fire that occurred in Roth’s building in the 40s. Somewhere, I still have an old newspaper account of that fire in Roth’s tavern.

Years ago, David’s uncle Manny unexpectedly stopped by my office to tell me about his brother who used to own the building, and his famous nephew who sang for Van Halen. Manny had owned a famous rock club in NYC, where many famous rock acts had performed. Appropriately, I believe the name of the nightclub was “Manny’s”.

EDIT: Years ago, my wife’s uncle was visiting from California and he told us that Nate Roth was his friend and ophthalmologist. When we told him we were Van Halen fans, he asked if we would like to have Nate get us something autographed by his son. Obviously, we thought that was pretty cool, and I gave Uncle Mark this album cover to be signed. A few weeks later, we received it back in the mail. We thought it was a hoot, because “Memorial Park” is in our small town, and a place DLR must have remembered from his childhood.

Cafe Wha? is the NYC club. Still open, BTW.
Manny’s was one of the most legendary music stores that was located on the dearly departed 48th Street music row.

Last edited:
Cafe Wha? is the NYC club. Still open, BTW.
Manny’s was one of the most legendary music stores that was located on the deadly departed 48th Street music row.

Duh! I have a Brian Moore Manny’s 10th Anniversary guitar that I bought from that store on 48th St. while I was visiting NYC Years ago. It’s cool because the NYC inlay done by my friend, Ray Memmel, includes the twin towers (completed before 9/11).

Here’s a story about Manny’s passing and his club, Cafe Wha?. Thanks for straightening that out, DISTORT6.

Last edited:
Hmmm...favorite band... it's a toss up between the Mamas and the Papas and ABBA...

Why? Because who could think up those band names!

Duh! I have a Brian Moore Manny’s 10th Anniversary guitar that I bought from that store on 48th St. while I was visiting NYC Year’s ago. It’s cool because the NYC inlay done by my friend, Ray Memmel, includes the twin towers (completed before 9/11).

Here’s a story about Manny’s passing and his club, Cafe Wha? Thanks for straightening that out, Distort6.

No problem!
Is that a MC-1? Very cool.
I have a C-55P.13 that I had made with McCarty style switching. That’s another guitar I need to dig out of storage. It’s one of those “plays itself” guitars.:)

No problem!
Is that a MC-1? Very cool.
I have a C-55P.13 that I had made with McCarty style switching. That’s another guitar I need to dig out of storage. It’s one of those “plays itself” guitars.:)

It is an MC-1. I used to have a number of BM Guitars. They let me send in my wood like on this C-90 African Thuya top. It’s the only other BM I have left.

Last edited:

Indeed a very cool story. Thanks Steve.

Back