Your fav band and why?

Iron Maiden gets my vote. Rush got a little too weird for me towards the end of the career.

Another great drummer is Tommy Clufetos.

I saw him live playing with Black Sabbath.
He blew my mind. The adrenaline, the energy!
I think he’s as good or better than Neil Pert.

Last edited:
^Good

GENIUS!
Anything after Fly by Night wasn’t my taste.
I know everyone thinks Neil is a genius but I don’t. He was a great drummer but I don’t think he was the best in the world not that anybody has said that but everyone is alluding to it.

Peart is at the top of my personal list, but another of my favorites, and a name that seems often ignored is Glen Sobel, as much for the visual as the audible.

Grew up with a lot of Sandy Nelson too, his drumming is the song...RIP

And other than Working Man, I didn't like anything before Fly by Night. And Neil was a very bright guy and an amazing drummer, quite possibly tgoat. If you haven't listened to much after FBN, you are missing his best work. Heck, just listen to Tom Sawyer, plenty of primo percussion by the pinnacle percussor!

I know everyone thinks Neil is a genius but I don’t. He was a great drummer but I don’t think he was the best in the world not that anybody has said that but everyone is alluding to it.
I certainly think he’s one of the very best. That’s one of the cool things about music. We don’t have to like the same kinds of music or have the same favorite musicians. So far, from what I’ve seen, you and I are into a lot of the same groups. But I do like prog a lot!

Over the years, I’ve found that I was doing music differently, depending on the artist and type of music. When Dream Theater comes out with a new CD, I might listen to it over and over for a couple weeks at least. Then listen to a few other things and then come back and listen to it over and over for another week or so just to make sure I’ve totally “got it” and then it goes into regular rotation with everything else. it comes back a few weeks other later for a few times through. But if it’s something more simple and straight forward, I might listen to it 2-3 times and then it goes into rotation. But the more complex something is the more I listen to it when it’s new. And that said, I could watch one of my AC/DC live dvd’s and LOVE it, but rarely put on one of their albums (they are in rotation and heaven knows you get plenty on the radio). But SEEING them is much more captivating to me. Very simple music, but the energy makes it great to watch live shows. If I put on an albums, I may skip songs. DVD, no way I’m skipping anything.

Honestly, I thought the next few years from Fly by Night were the best Rush. Up to about Presto or so. Some people resisted the keyboards, but I think that phase Moving Pictures for the next 4 albums or so were my favorites. They were more proggy then, to me, and when they dropped the synths they sounded more straight forward. Still prog, but not as prog, IMO.

So, I like more complex forms of music, perhaps the best of all, so I would lean towards “favorites” that were players in those types of bands. That said I still love and have favorites of everything from blues to straight ahead rock, hard rock, metal, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to pick favorites, but I suppose if I had to... The Darkness. The music video for "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" came on at the same time every day my entire last semester of high school senior year, a few classmates and I had been given a self study course to keep us out of trouble, so we let MTV play for the hour we were "in class." In a time when you had to be Limp Bizkit or Nickelback or Linkin Park, these guys are actually writing melodies and putting out rock like it never got dumbed down. Unapologetic guitar rock, complete with Marshall stacks, harmonized solos, falsetto, and glam unitard catsuits... but, in a way that takes the genre into modern times, not just trying to regurgitate classic rock.

Still love them to this day. Saw them live twice, second time the sound guy basically shat all over the show, which pained me. Hopefully again soon.

Impossible

However, as a “gun to the head choice” I’d have to say….Beatles. Greatest songwriter/recording artists ever. I mean EVERY single song (with few exceptions) blew me away. As impossible as this thread is, trying to name just my favorite Beatle’s song is nearly as impossible.
Ya know, I was never that into the Beatles, which I attribute in large part to my age. But, there were a couple of girls I went to grad school with who were off-the-charts hot, and asked me to get our band to do a Beatles tribute show because they were fanatics... and I never did it. What the heck? Probably because the one that I really wanted to be an item with was already with another guy, but I should've played those riffs and flicked him off the scene like a fly off my potato salad. Nice guys don't finish last, but I haven't seen that girl in a while, either.

Original line up Van Halen. Eddie. Great tunes. Tight band. Fun. Music for me is all about the enjoyment, not necessarily the musicianship but they had that too. They are my first Mount Rushmore inclusion.

DLR-era Van Halen is where it's at. I know, it's been battled online a million times. But Dave just had the most insane talent at that time. Not knocking Sammy, he was good, he was necessary, and certainly his musical talent has aged better.

Funny thing (to me) about my Beatles favorites. I was never a big Beatles fan, but always liked them. The funny thing was, for years I had a few favorite Beatles songs, and not til a while later did I pay close enough attention to realize that most of them were not Beatles songs. Helter Skelter and Something, yes... But What is Life, and My Sweet Lord were always two of my favorite Beatles songs. Ooops.
My Sweet Lord, Live and Let Die, and most of Double Fantasy resonate deeper than any of The Beatles songs do with me.

My Sweet Lord, Live and Let Die, and most of Double Fantasy resonate deeper than any of The Beatles songs do with me.
I made my own cassette tape back in the day called "Single Fantasy"! It was the double fantasy album without the Yoko stuff!! Single Fantasy was great for me, but if I tried to Double Fantasy, I would usually vomit (then smile, then vomit, then smile, etc.)!!!

Steely Dan! To me they (plus all the musicians they used) created some of the most complex music that was still easy to listen to. In a way I think they created their own genre of music. Saw them 2x in concert and they killed it both times!

Earth Wind and Fire.

Impeccable musicianship, mature songwriting (for the most part), positive vibe (always), and nothing is played straight. It’s like the second something seems “simple” they throw in a modulation, key change, turnaround, or accent that makes your brain tingle.

Best band ever. I could live my whole life out listening to just them if I had to.

Disco doesn’t suck, you just can’t dance.

That's a match, as far as history and longevity. Both bands were amazing and hugely influential on me, and still love to listen to them.

Currently it's Kinkajous, and almost anything by Christian Scott.

I like DLR, but Sammy could actually sing.
Blasphemy!:eek:

I’m just going to leave this here! I’m not saying it’s genius, but it gets my foot tapping.

Peart is at the top of my personal list, but another of my favorites, and a name that seems often ignored is Glen Sobel, as much for the visual as the audible.

Grew up with a lot of Sandy Nelson too, his drumming is the song...RIP

As someone who always sees Alice Cooper when he's within range, I have a deep appreciation for Sobel. Coop's whole band is made up of absolute MONSTER players, and I can't think of anyone who could hold them together as well as Glen does. Dude is an absolute freaking BEAST.

Since we're taking a side-trip into drummers, I have to mention Stephen Perkins from Jane's Addiction. He hits that completely primal vibe so hard and makes it sound effortless. Utter mastery.

As for Dream Theater, I prefer the Portnoy-era music, but Mangini as a drummer. That said, the first time I got tickets to see Avenged Sevenfold was on the Nightmare tour. Portnoy started the tour off as the drummer, but by the time it got to me he'd left and Arin Ilejay was playing. Ilejay was fantastic, but I had been REALLY hopeful to see Portnoy.

Last edited:
Back