Your fav band and why?

Impossible

However, as a “gun to the head choice” I’d have to say….Beatles. Greatest songwriter/recording artists ever. I mean EVERY single song (with few exceptions) blew me away. As impossible as this thread is, trying to name just my favorite Beatle’s song is nearly as impossible.
Funny thing (to me) about my Beatles favorites. I was never a big Beatles fan, but always liked them. The funny thing was, for years I had a few favorite Beatles songs, and not til a while later did I pay close enough attention to realize that most of them were not Beatles songs. Helter Skelter and Something, yes... But What is Life, and My Sweet Lord were always two of my favorite Beatles songs. Ooops.

Oh, and enough joking around. Dream Theater is my all time favorite band, and the reason is simple. They are the greatest band ever.

For me, it is mostly individuals, but these are generally folk who I like across the board in all they did (whether you call it a band or not)!
1. Frank Zappa (greatest composer of the 20th century and one of the best guitar players as well)
2. Prince (almost as prolific and genre hopping as FZ and an incredible musician and entertainer)
3 (in no particular order and for various reasons). King Crimson, Pink Floyd (1966-1973), Cat Stevens, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Louis Armstrong, Rahsaan Rolland Kirk, Love, Tribe Called Quest, Buddy Guy, Beck, Jeff Beck, Bo Diddley, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Ian Hunter, Dead Kennedys, Steely Dan, David Byrne, Grateful Dead, Frank Sinatra, Eric Clapton, The Beatles, The Doors, SRV, John Lee Hooker, Johnny Guitar Watson, Jonny Lang, Kool & The Gang, Earth Wind & Fire, The Brothers Johnson, Lenny Kravitz, Little Feat, Lou Reed, Tom Petty, Traveling Wilburys, Mick Ronson, Oscar Peterson, Patti Smith, Peter Gabriel, Phish, Ray Charles, Roy Orbison, Michael Franti, Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorious, T. Rex, The Clash, John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, The Who, Led Zeppelin, XTC, Violent Femmes, Yes and more!

All these and more are on my phone which I use as my jukebox! I have about 20,000 songs on phone (256GB chip) and I hit random play!! Best jukebox EVER!!!

Portnoy or Mangini?
Yes

:) Obviously, both are killer drummers. The real choice here is the music. Mike was pushing the band to be heavier and heavier. To some degree I had no issue with that as long as they didn't go cookie monster. But he continually pushed James to sing WAY high. His voice was so destroyed by halfway through each tour, that he couldn't come close to singing the songs like they were on the albums. James has been significantly better on the albums, and WAY better live, since Mangini came on board.

The mixes are also different. When MP was in the band, the mixes were drums were MUCH more prominent in the mix. That alone changes the feel of the songs, all other things being equal. And while there was a "power" to those thundering drums that is gone, the improved vocals kind of offset that.

That said, it's very hard to choose musically. They were my all time favorite band before the switch. But it's sure hard to argue with what has come since the switch. Several of their best albums ever, for sure.

I have about 20,000 songs on phone (256GB chip) and I hit random play!! Best jukebox EVER!!!
I have 64 Gig USB sticks in both my cars. Both are on "alphabetical play all" mode, and both are about half way apart in the alphabet. I'm in the "F's" in one car and the "R's" in the other. While I do listen to Sirius some, and CD's for specific albums I want to hear at the time, it took me over 2 years to complete the last complete cycle through the songs.

Yes

:) Obviously, both are killer drummers. The real choice here is the music. Mike was pushing the band to be heavier and heavier. To some degree I had no issue with that as long as they didn't go cookie monster. But he continually pushed James to sing WAY high. His voice was so destroyed by halfway through each tour, that he couldn't come close to singing the songs like they were on the albums. James has been significantly better on the albums, and WAY better live, since Mangini came on board.

The mixes are also different. When MP was in the band, the mixes were drums were MUCH more prominent in the mix. That alone changes the feel of the songs, all other things being equal. And while there was a "power" to those thundering drums that is gone, the improved vocals kind of offset that.

That said, it's very hard to choose musically. They were my all time favorite band before the switch. But it's sure hard to argue with what has come since the switch. Several of their best albums ever, for sure.
Completely agree.

Fates Warning ranks way up on my list. For me personally they are the perfect band.
Proggy, Technical, Melodic, Heavy, And Lyrics that make you think and cut to the bone at the same time.
Ray has one of the the greatest voices in music period (2nd to Dio of course), Zonder, Aresti & Matheos are 3 of the most underrated musicians of all time (next to Dave Meneketti)..

Fates Warning ranks way up on my list. For me personally they are the perfect band.
Proggy, Technical, Melodic, Heavy, And Lyrics that make you think and cut to the bone at the same time.
Ray has one of the the greatest voices in music period (2nd to Dio of course), Zonder, Aresti & Matheos are 3 of the most underrated musicians of all time (next to Dave Meneketti)..
You should check out the band I keep bugging these guys about, Circus Maximus. I swear they are the best band I've discovered since Dream Theater.

Compared to Dream Theater: better vocals, not quite as heavy, more melodic, but very prog and very musically talented. In fact, I'll link you up with another one (I've posted several there) in the "what are you listening too" thread.

@Coral Sky Music

Ok, head over to that thread when you get a chance. I dropped a couple there for you. But do yourself a favor and look up the one I posted previously in that thread, "The Mouth Of Madness." One of my all time favorite songs!

These guys are incredible!

@Coral Sky Music

Ok, head over to that thread when you get a chance. I dropped a couple there for you. But do yourself a favor and look up the one I posted previously in that thread, "The Mouth Of Madness." One of my all time favorite songs!

These guys are incredible!
Cool I Will Check The Out Thanks

Back