Your advice and recomendations needed

I have the original Plexi Drive (non-deluxe version), it's a great sounding pedal but you have to know what to expect. When you say you're looking for a plexi tone, are we talking Super Lead, JTM45, or something else? The Plexi Drive is more on the JTM side of things, it doesn't have a ton of gain, and has a bigger and boomier bottom end. The Wampler page describes it as going after AC/DC tones... I disagree. I hear that as more of a Super Lead tone. The Plexi Drive doesn't have that same midrange bark, it's a little more relaxed, more bass, less gain. And the tone knob isn't a huge sweep either. That being said, great sounding pedal. Works very well with a boost, especially a Tubescreamer, for leads without getting too piercing, very nice crunch tones, and even gives a very Marshall-esque flavor to cleans when set low. If you wanted a JTM45 without blowing people's eardrums out, you could leave this pedal on all night in front of a clean amp.

I'll have to check out that trim pot on the BE-OD, I was just posting elsewhere about how it had SO much (as in way too much) gain. Interested to see where a minimum setting on the trim pot would take it.

Another great pedal for plexi tones, and very reasonable price, is the new Truetone version of the Jekyll and Hyde. I've been into their pedals for a long time, but kind of got away from them when I discovered the Plexi Drive and some other boutique stuff, the previous Visual Sound versions just didn't mesh as well with my amps in comparison. But they really knocked it out of the park on this new one. There's a new gain voicing switch on it that offers a more open sounding drive, which sounds much more like cranking power tubes than preamp gain, and the EQ is very flexible to really match it up to an amp and dial a good plexi tone. It might not be designed as a 100% recreation of a Super Lead, but if you're going for general "Plexi" rather than a super specific amp, it rips. Not to mention plenty of other great sounds.

Hi Andy, actually I tried the plexidrive deluxe at my friend's and it's no slouch in this department, I did post the low gain demo of the Friedman but the sound was a bit trebley so I would love to hear your own judgment when you turn the internal trim pot.

also the Bogner La Grange seems a good contender but I'm still undecided which one.

I usually don't mention my stuff much here but you could do worse
http://www.tonalinsanity.com
bunch of videos from CRGTR on the site and youtube :) a few folks here have them as far as a Plexi sound I would think the Aurora Borealis , Sequoia or Niagara would do that for you I also love those pedals with my 513

and the Friedman is all the rage right now.

I saw this movie once, "Scotland PA", and they take the owner of a fast food restaurant and tie him up and he ends up face first in the deep fryer. Every time I see Friedman (aka Fried Man) amps or pedals, I think about that scene. It's briefly in the trailer which is all I could find online.

I usually don't mention my stuff much here but you could do worse
http://www.tonalinsanity.com
bunch of videos from CRGTR on the site and youtube :) a few folks here have them as far as a Plexi sound I would think the Aurora Borealis , Sequoia or Niagara would do that for you I also love those pedals with my 513
Thank you for reminding me, I saw Chris' demo few years ago I'll be sure to refresh my ears with their sound again

Friedman is way too gainy for a true Plexi sound.

Bogner La Grange is the best out there for Super Lead/Super Bass tones IMHO, and is super flexible with all the gain/tone options.

Thanks Twinfan, for now it's these 2 and the Marvel drive V3 that just came out few months back, waiting to hear more demos or if someone will chime in from his own experience with it, well the choice is narrowing.

Back