Your advice and recomendations needed

g.wizz

Nabs
Hello brothers

The thing is I miss the Marshall Plexi sound and I can't ad another amp so I'm gonna rely on what they call an "amp in a box" pedal, here's my signal chain:

My 513 to the Wilson Wah, Archer (silver), Cmat mods Signa Drive, Bogner Burnley distortion straight to The Mesa V25 head and small digital delay in the loop.

I've watched many demos and there's a plethora of pedals out there that they claim they nail the Plexi sound but I can't decide which one will be best since non of them is available in my country and I have to ship it here without trying it first, I know tone is subjective but I will rely on your individual experience to help me clear my decision or at least narrow my choices a little.

Let me hear it folks

Thanks in advance :)

I really like my Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk iii for plexi tones. It apparently has a Super Lead mode as well, but I never felt the need to try it.

Hello brothers

The thing is I miss the Marshall Plexi sound and I can't ad another amp so I'm gonna rely on what they call an "amp in a box" pedal, here's my signal chain:

My 513 to the Wilson Wah, Archer (silver), Cmat mods Signa Drive, Bogner Burnley distortion straight to The Mesa V25 head and small digital delay in the loop.

I've watched many demos and there's a plethora of pedals out there that they claim they nail the Plexi sound but I can't decide which one will be best since non of them is available in my country and I have to ship it here without trying it first, I know tone is subjective but I will rely on your individual experience to help me clear my decision or at least narrow my choices a little.

Let me hear it folks

Thanks in advance :)

My dear 513-Bro!
Being honest I can't give you sufficient info regarding your RFI, because since being caught by (in my case) Line 6's all-in-one solutions (currently POD HD500X) I could shape my sound by a huge number of variables. And it sounds everywhere the same.
My standard tone for clean and crunch is based on a Fender Bassman "interpretation", I added a Tube Screamer, reverb and a stereo delay.

This is what I'm doing on my Mark v25 also I run my pedals through the Fender setting or the Mark 1

... everything is in the floorboard :)

GfxTf2wj-Fjj9wSVr2nBOBkWRcrE7VTBg0E1vyh409wj7JwD00FWMqF_Xgc9sWXx2bGpCWcQHXs=w531-h941-no

In general this is furniture, because I´m used to play the HD500X by using headphones...

I am a fan of Wampler pedals. This one is great at that "plexi in a box" sound.

and the Friedman is all the rage right now.

Yes Bodia I saw the demos for both and they are great also Bogner La grange is no slouch hence my reluctance to buy yet
there's many that ticks most of the boxes.

The BE-OD is an excellent pedal after you turn the internal gain down.

Great to know that Fro, but I was wondering how much that will reduce the gain and if it affects the eq parameters

The Marvel got my attention a month ago but the Menatone king, this one I have to check when I get home
Thanks Clasbtenn

I have the original Plexi Drive (non-deluxe version), it's a great sounding pedal but you have to know what to expect. When you say you're looking for a plexi tone, are we talking Super Lead, JTM45, or something else? The Plexi Drive is more on the JTM side of things, it doesn't have a ton of gain, and has a bigger and boomier bottom end. The Wampler page describes it as going after AC/DC tones... I disagree. I hear that as more of a Super Lead tone. The Plexi Drive doesn't have that same midrange bark, it's a little more relaxed, more bass, less gain. And the tone knob isn't a huge sweep either. That being said, great sounding pedal. Works very well with a boost, especially a Tubescreamer, for leads without getting too piercing, very nice crunch tones, and even gives a very Marshall-esque flavor to cleans when set low. If you wanted a JTM45 without blowing people's eardrums out, you could leave this pedal on all night in front of a clean amp.

I'll have to check out that trim pot on the BE-OD, I was just posting elsewhere about how it had SO much (as in way too much) gain. Interested to see where a minimum setting on the trim pot would take it.

Another great pedal for plexi tones, and very reasonable price, is the new Truetone version of the Jekyll and Hyde. I've been into their pedals for a long time, but kind of got away from them when I discovered the Plexi Drive and some other boutique stuff, the previous Visual Sound versions just didn't mesh as well with my amps in comparison. But they really knocked it out of the park on this new one. There's a new gain voicing switch on it that offers a more open sounding drive, which sounds much more like cranking power tubes than preamp gain, and the EQ is very flexible to really match it up to an amp and dial a good plexi tone. It might not be designed as a 100% recreation of a Super Lead, but if you're going for general "Plexi" rather than a super specific amp, it rips. Not to mention plenty of other great sounds.

Back