You Won $1.1 Billion

I used to think I'd quit my job. Then I figured, why waste *my* time - I'll just stop going in. Let them use their time and money to come fire me.

That’s always been my thought. No need to spend any more time on that.

I think I’d do away with my alarm clock.

1st. Go get the dang money
2nd quit my job
3rd take care if my extended family.
4th this is something I've thought about for a while.

While traveling the country on my motorcycle I would find every hard luck story, like those posters at restaurants where somebody lost everything in a fire or a kid with cancer or any other story and make it rain money on those people. Of course I'd buy many prs guitars and corner the market on 5310s but I'd help tons of people. That would make me feel good AND I'd prefer to be anonymous so no strings attached what so ever.

Just travel the country making people's lives better.

I have a great finance guy…. Conservativly @ 3% yield, that’s 15 mil a year…..
I’d buy some PS PRS’s…… probably around 10 or so….
and a bigger house to put them all in….with a garage & studio
buy my wife a few Edsel cars she has always wanted……
so, the feds will take 1/2.. that leaves 500 million…..
Start a blues/Bluesrock /alt/folk and comedy club . And it would be a musician hangout, music writers ect in the daytime
take care of homeless folks in my state
start a good food pantry for folks
take care of friends and family debt….ect
be completely anonymous

Last edited:
I'll be a lazy bum 7 days a week instead of 2 :D
I already am!

The thing I found most interesting about imagining what to do in the event of a huge windfall was that we realized that we didn’t need the big score to do most of what we cared about. Some examples:

1) my wife was very keen on a beach house, in particular sleeping with the ocean as background noise. Instead of buying one to use part time, we rented for a month. She got her dream for 5 years pre Covid. I expect to go back this fall.

2) what we could donate to charities we cared about was more satisfying than buying more stuff. And giving them time has tremendous value. It was incredibly fun to hand over keys to a new home I helped build. The smile on the family children’s faces was worth every minute I spent on the build site.

The bottom line is that most of the things you really care about, you can find a way to make happen.

Ha! If I would have won, you’d know it. I would have reached out to all of you for a shipping address for the guitars I’d be buying for everyone!
Should we send the addresses to you just in case?

My stock answer would be "Well, I just bought a place next to A.R. because some times I need a good sax player".

I already am!

The thing I found most interesting about imagining what to do in the event of a huge windfall was that we realized that we didn’t need the big score to do most of what we cared about.
All we care about is sex.

"That's a lie."

"I prefer to call it 'the power of positive thinking'."

"Dude, in your case, that's wishful thinking, not positive thinking."

1- Buy the person in post #22 exactly what he wanted and put it in he and his wifes name (I lost my parents and other very close family members to cancer as well so it's a big priority for me also.
2- take care of all my family
3- Beach House
4- Spec a "forum guitar" and buy the first batch to distribute to my forum buddies
5- ZO6
6-Lund
7-Motor home to travel in
8- Charity, charity, charity
9-gas for Z06, Lund and motor home.
10- Bob... I have something special in mind for you. Have you ever watched Two and a half men?

Last edited by a moderator:
The first BIG thing I would do is buy a Mess Boogie back from Gibson to try to save the brand.

If there's enough money leftover I'd buy PRS too. I wouldn't make any changes to PRS management until PRSh wants to retire. I'd acquire a few VERY nice guitars and amps in the process.

As for personal purchases, I'd give a decent number of really nice gifts to friends and family, buy my parent's cabin from them, get a nice ski boat, buy my parents a place in Whistler (and I'd live there with them in the winter months).

I think I'd take a leave of absence from grad school for a few years to go full time rock climbing, skiing, and playing music while my body still works well. Doing that in my 20s seems a lot more attractive than doing that in my 30s.

And of course a significant portion would go to charity of my choice... I'd have to do a LOT of research to figure out which charity to make sure I'm getting the most impact in the world for my buck.

Last edited:
Back