You sold your korina McCarty? Please tell me why...

JDelage

I'm considering the korina McCarty as my first "nice" guitar. I've played it a bit in a store, and I liked it very much. However I'm a newbie, and I don't quite trust my impressions in this area. So I would like to understand the various motivations of more experienced players for selling theirs.

Feel free to PM me if you're uncomfortable sharing publicly.

Thanks,

JD

Last edited:
Nevertheless, there's a small number on the secondary market, so clearly some have.

Maybe it's just an aesthetic issue? I know gobs of dudes have to have a flamey top with birds and such, but tone wise the Korinas and Standard mahogany guitars are really special.

While there could be some who have sold because they didn't like the sound/feel/something else (which are all subjective), it may not always be a bad reason to sell. Best example I can think of: had a McKorina, loved said McKorina, had opportunity to purchase a Private Stock (or some other great PRS variant), and used sale of McKorina to fund new purchase.

While I haven't done that with a PRS yet (and given my deep love for 408's, don't see it happening), I have done it several times with Warwick's. I started with "lesser" models, and by selling or trading and adding a little bit each time, I got a nicer model. Continued that until I got my Streamer Stage II and P-Nut, my favorites of all time. The others I had were great, but it was worth the sacrifice to get to what I consider the best.

I'm one of the few who has sold/traded a Korina PRS. It wasn't because I didn't love it. I did. It was one of the KL Series (Korina Limited). It was the KL1812. It is a Korina body Cu24. I would not hesitate to buy a Korina McCarty.

So why did I let go of the KL? I was dying to own a SingleCut and a guy offered a 2000 SC in great shape for the KL. I'm happy with the trade since I already had a Cu24AP and the SC is perfect for me. One of the best guitars I have. Turns out it was made for Orkie (of PRS fame). Doesn't even have a MODCAT.

Here's an old shot of the Korina 1812:
2010NGDs.jpg

And here is the SC:
010-2.jpg

I'm considering the korina McCarty as my first "nice" guitar. I've played it a bit in a store, and I liked it very much. However I'm a newbie, and I don't quite trust my impressions in this area. So I would like to understand the various motivations of more experienced players for selling theirs.

Feel free to PM me if you're uncomfortable sharing publicly.

Thanks,

JD

Boy, you are not an impulsive buyer type, are you? Be careful: if you take any longer to make up your mind, that one you've got your eye on at Dave's is going to be gone. That platinum soapy has already been snagged.

They're great guitars. Love mine (more than my DGT and DC22). Get it, you won't regret it.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I thought you had your eye on that used one, but if you're going to buy new than you're absolutely right; they have dozens in every color imaginable.

I'll probably buy used - not certain - but there are quite a few to choose from.

Then again, I might just get something else.

Lots of players like to try different guitars just because. Some are trading up.

And some players sell a guitar simply to raise some cash for various expenses.

There are as many reasons (and opinions) for selling something as there are players. Even if you're a newbie, you simply have to trust your own ears and hands. If it sounds good to you, and you like playing it, then it's good. Simple as that.

The opinions of strangers on the internet can be a guide to to various things to look at or think about, but only you have a deep understanding of sounds that appeal to your ear. Trust yourself. It's the first step on the journey. There is no right or wrong when it comes to instruments, and no "best."

This is just to get a datapoint. I'll make my own decision eventually.

I had a Korina McCarty and sold it...tobacco sunburst, Braz board, gold hardware, 59/09s. Loved the bridge pickup, but in that particular guitar, the neck sounded muddy. I'm primarily a Modern Eagle guy, so I sold it to fund something else. Great guitar, just wasn't for me.

out of my 4 prs's, my mccarty korina would be the LAST to go. as a matter of fact, if i was homeless, i would still be walking around with it strapped on my back. I have never found a guitar in my life i love more than it. to be quite honest, i love it more than most of my family members. if i lost both of my arms, i would still keep it just to look at it. if i lost my eyesight, i would keep it just to hold it. actually, i will probably have my wife put it in the casket with me, GET THE POINT!!!!!!! (lol)

I've had three McKorinas. Sold them all as I couldn't get the 'cut' of a maple top - they were too warm for my tastes, even after pickup swaps.

Back