You say goodbye, and I say hello ... NGD

Kiwi

Goodbye: PRS SC-J:
FvzCpw7.jpg

Hello: PRS 594 semi hollow, Artist top:
ZqcQvbz.jpg

=K

I'd been looking for a solidbody 594 for several years, and then PRS came out with this semi-hollow version in 2018 or -19. I wanted less weight and more air.

I've had PRS guitars for 20 years but no models newer than about 2010 or so. This 594 has, as you know, a number of new features for PRS in the last few years that I was looking forward to trying:

- The Pattern Vintage neck: Whoa - this is bigger than any PRS wide-fat, or Gibson 50s neck I've owned. Reminds me of the big neck on my long-gone Fender Eric Johnson Strat. This Shrek-sized neck lends it sustain for days. The asymmetrical carve makes it manageable. The frets seem a little taller than my other PRS guitars (HB-IIs, McCartys).

- 58/15 LT humbuckers. Hadn't played them before, but I really like PRS's pickups from the last 10 years or so. I'm a huge fan of the 57/08s and of course the unobtainium 53/10s. I tell everyone that PRS has long since fixed the last legitimate gripe about PRS, that their pickups were meh.

Still settling in with the 58/15s but early impression is very good, maybe a bit bright. Seller has strung it with fresh Elixir NanoWeb 10s, which I'd not ever played before. I usually play pure nickel wound 10s, which are generally less bright. [EDIT UPDATE: Yes, re-stringing with DR Pure Blues solid nickel strings toned it down to normal brightness.]

- PRS's version of a Tune O Matic and a stop tail, instead of the classic PRS one-piece wrap tail. Wondering if this is part of the crazy sustain equation? Both are bolted into the center block, so the vibrations aren't going anywhere else.

- I was curious what a 24.594" scale is like compared to standard PRS 25". Short answer: Stupid easy to play and still has the silvery chime of a PRS. I get the sense PRS is taking square aim at peeling off some Les Paul buyers from Gibson, but they don't sound the same and never will. Vive la difference.

- At long last: Separate V and T controls for the two pickups!!! Finally, blending in those perfect mid-position tOaNz!!! Can I retrofit my five other core PRS guitars like this??

=K

Last edited:
I want an SC-J so bad.

I have a (doublecut) 594SH - awesome guitar! Looking to round it out with a SC594 (probably solid body, certainly so if I go with the 2020 edition, unless PRS re-offers it).

Both awesome looking guitars, have fun with your new 594. Congrats!

Back