"You only go around once"...PSi 6794 & 6796

goof1073

This splurge-fest has some history to it between myself and Brian over at Brian's guitars. Like so many others I've done my fair share of deals with Brian and more recently I've consigned some gear through his shop with the intention of building up some credit toward a Private Stock build and ultimately a visit to PRS Vault.

Well sometimes life has different plans and this time it started with Brian's clinic in late October. Brian had gone into the vault prior to the event and selected some killer wood to bring to his event; some of which he told me ahead of time that I would love. Well I went past the table and stared at the 5 options over and over and finally got some time with Brian to spray down the tops and talk about options. As I already mentioned in another thread...this top was just too good to pass on...so PS 6794 was put on order:
IMG_2434.jpg

It's going to be a Semi-Hollow SC594 RW...killer one piece quilt top and the pictured Honduran Rosewood neck was also selected. I'm going with a custom finish which won't be 100% locked in till I see some color samples and I have elected for Blade Knots over the typical birds.

So go forward about a month and Brian decided to do a Facebook live event, similar to PRS Periscope videos, where he went through the remaining 4 tops. While I passed on the interesting chevron curved flame top at his event but I found myself drooling over the top in his video and after thinking about what I would ever want out of a flame top, well...PS 6796 just had that something different compared to the typical straight grain flame...so I pulled the trigger!!
Top%20-%20Killer%20Curl.jpg

So ya....

...I've had "one in the oven" in the past, but the thought of having a double hitter was never something I thought that I would do. Man the next 9 months are going to fun waiting for these 2 axes to come together.

Good thing I had some credit left over!!! So after going back and forth on some specs this guitar is going to be an SC-HB1 Tiger Eye Smoked Burst with Birds of a Feather inlays / headstock. I've got some surprises on this build that I want to keep a mystery...but this is going to be a killer guitar once it's built! Oh and did I mentioned the Mahogany neck is an epic piece of flamed goodness?
Flamed%20Mahogany%20Neck.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, son. Yeah, I love a good one piece top, and that looks fantastic. And yes on the chevron as well -- Dusty like.

I have kicked myself several times for not jumping on your 594 DC when you still had it. But I still need to reduce the current herd another several instruments before I can feel good about "inviting" another one in the door.

All my regrets aside, I love what you are doing with those two!

Very cool! I'll be anxious to see how it all turns out. Doing one PS was a dream come true - the thought of two at one time is just mind-boggling.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to connect at Brian's clinic - and sorry that I was probably one of the reasons you had trouble getting time with the man.

Killer choices all around man! Can't wait to see how these turn out too! I'm still kicking around the idea of a massive sell-off to order a PS myself! :oops: Two in the oven at once is a thing of beauty! :eek:

I have kicked myself several times for not jumping on your 594 DC when you still had it. But I still need to reduce the current herd another several instruments before I can feel good about "inviting" another one in the door.
Ya...I know how hard it can be looking at other gear that you want when you are also in a sell-off mode. But the 594 has luckily, for me, moved onto a good home.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to connect at Brian's clinic - and sorry that I was probably one of the reasons you had trouble getting time with the man.
Oh...so you were the guy!?? LOL Seriously, next year we should find a way to get the forum folks at the clinic together.

I'm still kicking around the idea of a massive sell-off to order a PS myself! :oops:
For me it all came down to being honest with myself in regards to the amount of gear that I had (too much), what I played and ultimately what I liked / wanted. I did this to some extent in the past which is how my first spec'd out Private Stock came to be born; SC / Paul's Guitar hybrid. This time around I put more effort into pairing down and letting go of gear. To date I honestly don't regret selling off any of the guitars that are funding these 2 builds...not in the least. I also am looking forward to getting guitars that I want and can't get via core offerings and I honestly don't see any dealers making WL runs of these configurations either.

To date I honestly don't regret selling off any of the guitars that are funding these 2 builds...not in the least. I also am looking forward to getting guitars that I want and can't get via core offerings and I honestly don't see any dealers making WL runs of these configurations either.

Like you, I'd rather have fewer, but more awesome, guitars than lots of things that don't really inspire.

Like you, I'd rather have fewer, but more awesome, guitars than lots of things that don't really inspire.

I'm almost getting to that point again myself. I have some that I can't bring myself to cut loose because they sound/play/look awesome but once you start getting into double-digits, there just isn't enough time in a given day/week/month to truly rotate through them all efficiently since I tend to spend a couple days consecutively playing one guitar. Me thinks Goof might have the right idea, may cull the herd again and see how close it gets me to PS territory since I keep telling myself that I want to do one PS build from scratch, I just never get around to making it happen! :(

Me thinks Goof might have the right idea, may cull the herd again and see how close it gets me to PS territory since I keep telling myself that I want to do one PS build from scratch, I just never get around to making it happen! :(
So if had the same thought about selling a number of guitars to fund it...I would ask you this; what's stopping you??

I'm almost getting to that point again myself. I have some that I can't bring myself to cut loose because they sound/play/look awesome...
In all honesty doesn't every PRS sound / play / look awesome though? ;-)

But I hear you Matt and it was that kind of approach that had my gear out of control (for me). One thing that I also noticed was that every guitar that I had, with the exception of the Artist 594 that I sold to fund the SC 594, were either one-offs or extremely limited. That fact was part of their allure for me and also part of reason, not all of it, why I held onto them. They all played great and each have their own tone / vibe which I dug. Now while every single guitar is a sum of it's part and have their own voice, after going through various models / tonal combinations you start to realize what you really like and sometimes Private Stock is the only way to get a certain combination of options pulled together. If PRS offered the semi-hollow option on core models I would've put an order in for an S/H SC 594 Artist model with a RW neck and saved myself a good deal of money.

So ya...I still can't believe that I have "2 in the oven" but after selling off a good chunk of my gear and when one last consignment does finally sell I'll have almost all of these 2 builds covered.

Back