You Know You're Desperate When...

László

Too Many Notes
You know you're desperate when you're down to drinking herbal tea because you're not supposed to be taking in too much caffeine, sugar free soda pop isn't really good for you, and there's no decaf in the house.

Before too long I'll be drinking something unthinkable, like water.

I shudder at the thought. But that is what it has come down to. :(

I've been drinking mostly water for about 10 years now. Occasionally I'll have something really hard, like fruit juice! It may not be glamorous, but its good for the body.

I've been drinking mostly water for about 10 years now.

You poor guy. I can relate to your suffering.

And you're in North Carolina! You should be at my son's show tonight, not here, fergodsakes!

It must be all that water that's addled your brain... ;)

Water lets you fully appreciate John Hobbes description of life as SPONOBS. ... Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short, but at least your urine will be clear.

wrong. It wil look clear but likely set off various alarms when tested.

I wouldn't sell it for testing! I'd sell it for its clarity and beauty! :)

Dude, I've been drug free for 784 years! Except for insulin and heart meds...LOL

You know you're desperate when you're down to drinking herbal tea because you're not supposed to be taking in too much caffeine, sugar free soda pop isn't really good for you, and there's no decaf in the house.

I feel for ya, brother. I'll have an extra cup of coffer in the morning just for you. :coffee:

I understand the pain. I had to give up both caffeine and alcohol since last June as doctors are trying to figure something out with me. So far they haven't, but I'll have another test on Wednesday. The change wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, although after a few months without either substance I also decided I'd had enough of my job.

So for the moment I have more free time to enjoy... water. And the occasional apple cider.

Edit - I do feel better in general without that stuff, though. (And leaving a job which had a lot of pressure and yelling for no good reason may be helping, too. And getting more time to take hikes and play guitar.)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you are down to herbal tea. I know the day is coming when I will have to give up coffee and vino........................

Les, I have been on water 100% since the beginning of 2015 with the health issues, with the occasional herbal tea. I MISS COFFEE. When someone has coffee it's like those old Looney Tunes where you see the aroma wafting, and Bugs (or whoever) floating through the air following it. Even decaf has enough caffeine to mess up my BP...and since I'm finally off those meds I ain't messin' 'round...

At least L'estaban can still eat and drink whatever he wants, right?

So I make my own tea, I call it Faux-rizona, as I "invented" it when I was unemployed back in 05-ish, when I drank Arizona green tea by the case.

Raise water to 160-180 Fahrenheit. (I used to boil it then let it cool for a predetermined amount of time, but now you can set the temperature on your electric kettle.)

Put bag of Celestial Seasonings green tea ("authentic") in water.

Wait ... as long as you like -- I probably overdid it with 30 minutes, but that's what I did, if you want a safe starting point.

Add honey, agave nectar, whatever. Seal and cool.

When I first did this, I left the entire neck of an Arizona bottle and filled it with honey, and it was still a half as sweet as Arizona. I now barely add a lid full of agave nectar, and have just developed a taste for the much less sweet tea. I must say, I have also lost my tolerance to processed sugar, and can barely handle any sweetened drinks any more -- soda or tea or otherwise.

I now use loose leaf tea, but the Celestial Seasonings bag is an excellent starting point, and it took me forever to come up with something that even competed with the Celestial Seasonings.

You're welcome.

I tend to drink a little more than 6 bottles / day. I used to be up around a dozen. I, too, am averse to crossing completely over to water -- gotta have some taste. But like any diet, you can acquire a taste for anything, when it becomes the norm.

PS I should also say, I've recently had my blood cholesterol and pressure 6 month checkup and the doctor said, "whatever you're doing, keep doing it, you're on the right track".

Last edited:

The best non-foofoo H2O is "Foss" from Norway. The best semi-foofoo is "MetroMint" that comes in Berry, Chocolate, Lemon, Orange, Pepper and Spearmint.

The most expensive is $96 a case that comes out twice a year and is white from all the sediment it gathers while coming down the mountain. I don't fermenter the name, but you'll see an advertisement usually on "Guitar Aficionado".

Last edited:

I tried tea but drinking too much of it gave me heartburn. There is a natural soda called Zevia and it is sweetened with a natural sweetener called Stevia. There is an aftertaste which takes a little getting used to but dumping three ounces of rum and ice on top of the caffeine free Stevia makes it taste a lot better. hahaha My wife orders it from Amazon Prime.

http://www.zevia.com/

I tried tea but drinking too much of it gave me heartburn. There is a natural soda called Zevia and it is sweetened with a natural sweetener called Stevia. There is an aftertaste which takes a little getting used to but dumping three ounces of rum and ice on top of the caffeine free Stevia makes it taste a lot better. hahaha My wife orders it from Amazon Prime.

I assume your heartburn is not affected by the 3 ounces of rum??:D

Precious Bodily Fluids.

only distilled water, rain water or pure grain alcohol...

I, myself, prefer to answer to the CocaCola company...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruger that is PERFECT!

Guys, I appreciate all the good advice! Saw the doc yesterday and he told me a cup of coffee in the AM should be OK for me now. I was used to drinking much more before, but my goodness, one cup in the AM is heaven! I'm about to have the first one in a minute, it's a-brewin' right now! :D

Back