You guys use your piezo bridge sounds much?

Rusty Chops

Geezer
I'm extremely happy with my Cu22 w 57/08 pu's, but started thinking that for a couple ballads we do in a band I'm in having an acoustic sound would be more perfect.

I once had a MIJ Telecaster with a flat top bridge w piezo and a single Lace sensor (blue) in the neck position that got a wonderful sound when blended.

How are you guys using you piezo bridges. Is it a must have for you?:dontknow:

I do have a SCHB and I bought it because of the piezo. Needed an acoustic sound for a gig but didn't want to carry 2 electrics and an acoustic. I don't mix the acoustic sound with the electric, maybe in the studio, but live I use one or the other. I think the P22 can be the ultimate gig guitar. one instrument and I can gig all night long no matter what's in the set list.
I have a Radial PZ Select (http://www.tonebone.com/pzselect.php) so I can switch from piezo to electric with my foot and not with my fingers. Specially on those songs where I play acoustic but I need and electric guitar solo.

my two main axes are a HBSCII and a P22, both with piezo's. not a gig goes by where I dont use it, from full acoustic to blends etc. In fact I may go as far as to say, don't think I could buy another axe without that feature :)

I take a PRS with piezo to every gig. We have a set with several "acoustic tunes" in a row.

At the WL last week, I ordered a P22 trem (pattern neck!) PS; should be a Swiss army knife.

Last edited:
I play 90% "acoustic sound" when we gig, and I use the piezo on my HB for that, going through an acoustic simulation pedal and some EQ to fill out the acoustic sound even more, straight into the PA. I use my PRS HB instead of an acoustic guitar so that I don't have to switch guitars when I play the more rock'n'roll content - and sometimes I switch from acoustic to a nice dirty lead on the upper frets mid-song, so the HB is a must!

(When I'm not doing an acoustic sound, I switch over to the other "loop" and use dirt, reverb/delay, and an amp simulator, again straight into the PA. I usually don't even change to the mag pickups!)

I fully expect I will eventually get a P24, and if I had the option I'd put piezos on all my PRSi.

I was afraid of this.^^^

Now I'm thinking of adding a piezo to my Swamp Ash Special. PRS sell piezo trem setups as parts?

Not touching my Cu22: love it as is, but my SAS is available for modding and that's the one I use in rough joints anyway since it's got the maple bolt-on neck.

Thanks for the replies!

On my HBII I really like the rhythm sound I get by running the mag p/u into a dirty amp and the piezo into a clean amp and playing them together. Makes a very defined and crisp dirty rhythm sound. If i am running just the mag side into the amp I will often blend the mag and piezo to get a straty kind of sound.

Love the piezo and have it on 2 PRSi. Usually blend mag with piezo rather than switch a/b - I think of it as an extra dimension or edge that feels very organic and makes the breadth of available guitar tones wider. That said I completely understand people who just like mag pickups and don't get piezos, I feel that way about midi interfaces and modeling guitars - they don't interest me. So lots of room for both Custom and Piezo versions of the core guitar.

For my ears though when blending mag and piezo, the piezo sounds much better run through a separate DI into a mixer/pa rather than over a single cable into one guitar amp. So I run two cables, and the piezo goes to an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI then balanced line out to the mixer.

Piezo's are good......

I agree with others preferring the piezo sound through its own separate output to DI>PA. I usually use a volume pedal to blend in the amount of piezo I want, using the guitar volume knob to control the electric tone...this makes it easier to go from an acoustic tone to an overdriven lead tone (and all the places in between) quickly.

Last edited:
Piezo's are good......

I agree with others preferring the piezo sound through its own separate output to DI>PA. I usually use a volume pedal to blend in the amount of piezo I want, using the guitar volume knob to control the electric tone...this makes it easier to go from an acoustic tone to an overdriven lead tone (and all the places in between) quickly.

TRIO OF WANTEDNESS.

The PRS piezo is a MUST HAVE. So bada$$.

Oi vey!

Beautimous trio there!

So, I'm supposed to buy another guitar then?

Sheesh. Youze guys be a bad influence.

Just when I was getting back to just broke.

The Piazo is the one thing I wish was in my hollowbody, that's why I am carefully keeping my eye out everyday for a PRS HB that I like with one. If you know that it will serve a good purpose I say go for it.

Nope, removed mine and added coil split controls.

For me it is not used much but it is certainly needed for a couple of songs that pop up from time to time...
I had a PRS Custom 24 where I put a Graphtech system and now I have an Ibanez S2120X which has the L.R. Baggs system on a Floyd based trem!!

The Piazo is the one thing I wish was in my hollowbody, that's why I am carefully keeping my eye out everyday for a PRS HB that I like with one. If you know that it will serve a good purpose I say go for it.

Since I got "Bonnie Pink" I reckon I will end up selling this one (with upgraded pickups). MAY have someone coming into town this weekend to take it off my hands.

I have a Graphtech Ghost system on my CE22 (I know, not the same thing . . .), and I use it a lot. With the 5 way set to either the #2 or #4 position and a bit of the Piezo dialed in, it makes for an extra cool Stratty tone.

Piezo's are good......

This may be a dumb question...but the middle guitar, the P24, looks like it has a smaller body than the other two. I assume this is due to perspective, but maybe it isn't?

This may be a dumb question...but the middle guitar, the P24, looks like it has a smaller body than the other two. I assume this is due to perspective, but maybe it isn't?
Just an illusion due to the different angles/distances at which they were photographed. The PS P24 Signature is exactly the same width (and thickness) as the P24 stop tail and same width as the AP HB II.

Back