You Can't Always Get What You Want

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by James G, Feb 7, 2021.

1. James G

James G New Member

Or perhaps you can?

Complete newbie here and I'd be grateful for your help.

I am finally getting round to learning the guitar in my early 40s because time's a wasting. After a lot of research, trying out various brands and with the main criteria that my petite wife wants to learn too and would have to be able to handle it, my dream piece is a Core Custom 24, 10 top, in faded whale blue with a pattern thin neck. After working for years, price is not an issue and I'm keen to order it.

I live in the Middle East. There is one authorized distributor and I was fairly stunned when they told me recently that they "can't" order this precise model and anything remotely in the same ball park (different colour, standard wood grade) will take 7 months to get.

Before I make a fool of myself and send a flaming email or five, does this sound right to you? How does authorized dealership work where a customer wants a particular model? Can they really not request it?

Does this mean that I need to start scanning dealerships in other parts of the world and look to get it shipped over? Good lord, I hope not.

There's probably something that I just don't get about this, so I'm grateful for your help please.

2. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Try Andertons, Peach Guitars or Thomann

dogrocketp and aphantomvaper like this.
  3. James G

James G New Member

Thank you. Have emailed Andertons and Peach some questions. Thomann website is impenetrable!

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Sounds about right, to me. Dealers place an order and the the guitars get built. Seven months would be quick, thanks to COVID, and a pre COVID back log of orders thanks to a great 2020 slew of new models. You’re better off looking on line for a guitar you like, and then working with that dealer.

dogrocketp and veinbuster like this.
  5. James G

James G New Member

Thanks - seems like that's best.

What do you think about the 35th Anniversary edition of that model? I have asked the dealers to confirm if the differences between this and the standard line are just cosmetic or whether the architecture of the instrument is different.

6. Isaac747

Isaac747 New Member

Good for you man I'm starting late too, my SE Custom 24 is on its way. My wife is giving it to me for my 30th.

Alnus Rubra and dogrocketp like this.
  7. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

In that situation, I’d pick up an SE Custom 24, and place the core model on order. This way you can both start learning on a really solid instrument while you wait and, with the second guitar, you and your wife will know enough to play together when the core Custom arrives.

Alnus Rubra, dogrocketp and SinSir like this.
  8. 64 Tele

64 Tele New Member

There's always the internet and looking for a used Custom 24....
    If someone of your means could stoop to that level.
    I got my Wood Library Custom 24 doing that.....but I'm just a commoner.
    Mine was played only on Sundays by a little old Oil Sheik/Lawyer.
    P.S. Mine is not for sale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#8 64 Tele, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  9. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

The pickups on the 35th Anniversary are different. They might be better, depending on what style of music you play. The rest of the instrument is typical PRS quality.

bodia likes this.