You Can't Always Get What You Want

James G

Or perhaps you can?

Complete newbie here and I'd be grateful for your help.

I am finally getting round to learning the guitar in my early 40s because time's a wasting. After a lot of research, trying out various brands and with the main criteria that my petite wife wants to learn too and would have to be able to handle it, my dream piece is a Core Custom 24, 10 top, in faded whale blue with a pattern thin neck. After working for years, price is not an issue and I'm keen to order it.

I live in the Middle East. There is one authorized distributor and I was fairly stunned when they told me recently that they "can't" order this precise model and anything remotely in the same ball park (different colour, standard wood grade) will take 7 months to get.

Before I make a fool of myself and send a flaming email or five, does this sound right to you? How does authorized dealership work where a customer wants a particular model? Can they really not request it?

Does this mean that I need to start scanning dealerships in other parts of the world and look to get it shipped over? Good lord, I hope not.

There's probably something that I just don't get about this, so I'm grateful for your help please.

Sounds about right, to me. Dealers place an order and the the guitars get built. Seven months would be quick, thanks to COVID, and a pre COVID back log of orders thanks to a great 2020 slew of new models. You’re better off looking on line for a guitar you like, and then working with that dealer.

Thanks - seems like that's best.

What do you think about the 35th Anniversary edition of that model? I have asked the dealers to confirm if the differences between this and the standard line are just cosmetic or whether the architecture of the instrument is different.

In that situation, I’d pick up an SE Custom 24, and place the core model on order. This way you can both start learning on a really solid instrument while you wait and, with the second guitar, you and your wife will know enough to play together when the core Custom arrives.

There's always the internet and looking for a used Custom 24....
If someone of your means could stoop to that level.
I got my Wood Library Custom 24 doing that.....but I'm just a commoner.
Mine was played only on Sundays by a little old Oil Sheik/Lawyer.
P.S. Mine is not for sale.
340803-6dcd0f0516e5473df20db67ecd7c8a5d.jpg

340800-d705ffc15ef9c03c393c4fb0dbae9551.jpg

iyrgjpj1clw7dghjtpm1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks - seems like that's best.

What do you think about the 35th Anniversary edition of that model? I have asked the dealers to confirm if the differences between this and the standard line are just cosmetic or whether the architecture of the instrument is different.
The pickups on the 35th Anniversary are different. They might be better, depending on what style of music you play. The rest of the instrument is typical PRS quality.

Back