Yoga! Yoga!

garrett

I know @Shawn@PRS is our resident yogi. Anyone else here into yoga?

I'm thinking about taking it up for core strength, stress relief and flexibility. I've taken one or two classes a long time ago and worked with a home video or two. Any tips for newbs? I've heard that in-person classes are the best, but I'm not always a social being, so it would be great to find some good online sources.

I know @Shawn@PRS is our resident yogi. Anyone else here into yoga?

I'm thinking about taking it up for core strength, stress relief and flexibility. I've taken one or two classes a long time ago and worked with a home video or two. Any tips for newbs? I've heard that in-person classes are the best, but I'm not always a social being, so it would be great to find some good online sources.

This, and Pilates, are both things I've considered as well. I have two herniated discs and some nerve issues in my lower back. Core strength and flexibility are two things I could use more of.

What did the little Muppet Jedi do now?

Oh sorry I thought that read Yoda! Yoda!

Bad back, and bad knees, pretty much prevent me from doing anything like that anymore. I learned some decent core strengthening exercises while in PT for my back that I still do. But it seems just as I get everything strong and tight, I loosen up again like a broken rubber band, or a guitar string on a cheap tuning peg.

I do it. My wife is a certified instructor (who doesn't teach wtf?), and I'm her guinea pig. It's great for flexibility, breathing and relaxation. Don't buy into the hype generated on the internet. If you can't do certain poses, don't worry. It's not a competition, and those who would judge anyone by what poses they can or can't do aren't there for it's real purpose. Namaste

I don’t really call what I do yoga, but I spend about half an hour each morning doing things that stretch my body out. I started with a bit as a warm up before 6am squash matches in the late 80s. The amount of time I spend has gotten longer as I have more parts subject to rebelling against their full range of motion.

I just think of it as good long stretches, transitions and balance. I would go to classes from time to time if I found one that suited me. The appealing one within walking distance is women only.

I’m pretty sure I would feel 10 years older within a week or two of stopping, so I don’t.

There are many course videos that cover specific body areas. Some of the core routines are intense. The strength of the instructors is amazing.
Classes can help, in the same way that an in-person guitar lesson helps with pointing out mistakes. Once you perform the poses correctly, it’s just a matter of putting together the routine that gives you what you need.

Thanks for the tips so far, folks.

I think the "figuring out what moves to do" question is the big one for someone like me who knows very little. I enjoy cycling and want to get back to running a bit as well. I have found a few resources showing good moves to help with the core and to counteract the imbalances those sports lead to. It is like learning guitar: building a vocabulary and figuring out how to put it all together.

I totally agree it is not a competition, but how do you know if you're doing enough to reap benefits?

What did the little Muppet Jedi do now?

Oh sorry I thought that read Yoda! Yoda!

Bad back, and bad knees, pretty much prevent me from doing anything like that anymore. I learned some decent core strengthening exercises while in PT for my back that I still do. But it seems just as I get everything strong and tight, I loosen up again like a broken rubber band, or a guitar string on a cheap tuning peg.

That Yoda was a cheeky one in his younger days, he was.

That sucks man, I thought yoga was good for people with bad joints because it's low impact? I have a bunch of PT exercises from rehabbing my knee (twice), but they're so boring it's hard to sustain long term.

That sucks man, I thought yoga was good for people with bad joints because it's low impact? I have a bunch of PT exercises from rehabbing my knee (twice), but they're so boring it's hard to sustain long term.
I do it to maintain flexibility in bad joints. If you can’t physically get into a position, don’t do it - or settle for an approximation. Your range of motion might just be less than someone less, but it might improve over time.

Take a look at these. 10 minutes to zen is straight forward. http://personalbest.ca/videos

I do it. My wife is a certified instructor (who doesn't teach wtf?), and I'm her guinea pig. It's great for flexibility, breathing and relaxation. Don't buy into the hype generated on the internet. If you can't do certain poses, don't worry. It's not a competition, and those who would judge anyone by what poses they can or can't do aren't there for it's real purpose. Namaste

^^^This

I practiced yoga at home for over a year before I ever stepped foot into a studio. Following videos at home allows you to become familiar with the terminology and some of the transitions from pose to pose. However, practicing with other people in a studio, really changes the energy of a class/practice. Find a teacher you're comfortable with and give it a shot. Don't feel like you need to do every pose. I always say that as a teacher, I am merely giving suggestions, I'm not giving commands. Listen to your body and do what you think is right for you.

At any my classes, 1/3 - 1/2 of the attendees are men. A couple of things I see that keep men from practicing yoga 1) Men think they need to be flexible before they start a practicing. Not true. You will gain flexibility as your practice grows. 2) Men fear they won't be "good" at yoga. As the wise Monk mentioned above, yoga isn't about competing and it isn't about being noticed. The teacher is there to guide you, not to judge you and if any of the students are judging, they are only distracting themselves from their own practice. Don't worry about them, practice anyway.

I started yoga by accident. I stumbled upon it during a very bleak point in my life. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time, but for some reason I always felt better, both mentally and physically, after practicing. A consistent yoga practice will make you ridiculously strong, but the mind calming and de-stressing benefits cannot be overlooked. Society puts a tremendous amount of pressure on people and those demands can take their toll on our health and well being. Carve out a little time for yourself each day so that you can recharge your own batteries. Not only will you feel better, you'll make those around you will feel better as well.

I do it to maintain flexibility in bad joints. If you can’t physically get into a position, don’t do it - or settle for an approximation. Your range of motion might just be less than someone less, but it might improve over time.

Take a look at these. 10 minutes to zen is straight forward. http://personalbest.ca/videos

Wow that's a very interesting vid. I've always been told how martial arts came from and Indian or central Asian Monk(or Yogi) (Bodhidharma) who went to China & taught them exercises that sparked the origin of Kung Fu, etc. and that was the mother of all martial arts.

That vid reinforces that in my head because I learned 90% of that in Korea training TKD, I can still do almost all those moves right now and did them along with her (the prone positions are a little tough for my old discs now though:confused:).

In fact, we did them exactly how she does the first 4 minutes of the vid, exactly.

^^^This

I practiced yoga at home for over a year before I ever stepped foot into a studio. Following videos at home allows you to become familiar with the terminology and some of the transitions from pose to pose. However, practicing with other people in a studio, really changes the energy of a class/practice. Find a teacher you're comfortable with and give it a shot. Don't feel like you need to do every pose. I always say that as a teacher, I am merely giving suggestions, I'm not giving commands. Listen to your body and do what you think is right for you.

At any my classes, 1/3 - 1/2 of the attendees are men. A couple of things I see that keep men from practicing yoga 1) Men think they need to be flexible before they start a practicing. Not true. You will gain flexibility as your practice grows. 2) Men fear they won't be "good" at yoga. As the wise Monk mentioned above, yoga isn't about competing and it isn't about being noticed. The teacher is there to guide you, not to judge you and if any of the students are judging, they are only distracting themselves from their own practice. Don't worry about them, practice anyway.

I started yoga by accident. I stumbled upon it during a very bleak point in my life. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time, but for some reason I always felt better, both mentally and physically, after practicing. A consistent yoga practice will make you ridiculously strong, but the mind calming and de-stressing benefits cannot be overlooked. Society puts a tremendous amount of pressure on people and those demands can take their toll on our health and well being. Carve out a little time for yourself each day so that you can recharge your own batteries. Not only will you feel better, you'll make those around you will feel better as well.

Thanks Shawn! That last paragraph really resonates.

I started yoga about 10-12 years ago to improve flexibility and reduce lower back pain from sitting all day. I use videos (mostly Rodney Yee) and have never been to a class. If I practice a couple times a week, my running always feels more fluid.

It's great for the mind, too, but only if you are open to that side. Like meditation, it's harder to stop thinking than it sounds and it takes practice. For me, good videos help with that aspect because they help guide your thoughts (or focus your breathing) while in the poses.

I have yoga pants, does that count?

Computer says no!

Of course it does! I have a yoga mat that I actually used. Once.

I, uh, also meditated once. :rolleyes:

I read this as “...also medicated once”! Before I re-read it, I thought “Yeah likely story!” :oops:

My thought process is a tad cheeky. I consider myself, self-reprimanded!:rolleyes:

On to the naughty step again!!

I started yoga about 10-12 years ago to improve flexibility and reduce lower back pain from sitting all day. I use videos (mostly Rodney Yee) and have never been to a class. If I practice a couple times a week, my running always feels more fluid.

It's great for the mind, too, but only if you are open to that side. Like meditation, it's harder to stop thinking than it sounds and it takes practice. For me, good videos help with that aspect because they help guide your thoughts (or focus your breathing) while in the poses.

I think someone could practice yoga alone for the rest of their life and be happy with it. But, it's a lot like playing guitar. Playing at home in the bedroom or mancave is fun, but it's a total blast to jam with some friends.

This, and Pilates, are both things I've considered as well. I have two herniated discs and some nerve issues in my lower back. Core strength and flexibility are two things I could use more of.
I've had 3 major spinal surgeries and still have chronic pain, sometimes debilitating. I tried yoga and the stretching helped but I don't have the self discipline to keep at it between lessons. I was wining to my anesthesiologist friend and he said, "Get your ass back to yoga". And I still don't do it!:mad: When I did try the lessons a different friend had put me in touch with an instructor that was giving me weekly private lessons for probably cheaper rates than what group lessons are. I still didn't keep up with them. And the real kicker is the instructor is absolutely adorable. It was really fun watching her stretch. And I still didn't go back! Sheez:rolleyes:

But bodia you should do it. :)

Back