Yet Another "Recommend Me Some Amps" thread

OK, a couple more pics. I will attempt to record some clips this weekend, if I can get my recording gear configured again - it all got ripped apart when I re-arranged the music room...

IMG_20150224_104834_082_zpsinvsguje.jpg

IMG_20150224_115345_631_zps2nw2dqwg.jpg

IMG_20150224_115021_646_zpsh2rilnuz.jpg

The last two shots were after I gave it a quick run through outside, here at work at lunchtime today (just got it today!) The Black Gold wood glows in the sunlight. The middle shot is the correct color balance - the last shot has too much red, for some reason. (Well, the reason is I used my cellphone camera...)

I gave it a run through with my PRS SE 7. It sounds awesome - excellent lows, great clean channel, ultra heavy lead channel that cleans up super well with the guitar's volume knob. The heavy crunch of the lead channel has a nice tight bottom end. Outside, standing at least 15 feet away, with Lead Ch Volume at less than half, and Lead Master at less than half, I could feel the low end in my body.

I may do up a proper NAD thread if I can get some clips recorded. And my playing is at least satisfactory...

All this thanks to Brian's Guitars. Awesome folks to deal with, again!

Last edited:
Amp size and volume are not that related. I have a mess Mk v (100 w) playing through a horizontal 2x12, a mesa lone star(100 w) and a cornford 5 w amp that has a 1x12.

The cornford puts out 85-90 db (at about 2.5 metres from speaker according to meter on my iPad) with the master at 1:00. It's a nice class a tone but the mk v has a smoother channel 3 tone at the same number of db.

I like a bit of volume but in the house my wife hates it. 80 db is plenty in our house, with a drummer not so much, a crowd absorbs a lot of volume. So the main point here is the mk v or lonestar can both sound good at low volumes, unless you absolutely have to have the tone of saturated power tubes. The big speakers take up space in a small club but just like your stereo sleakers it's the quality of the sound. Still I will agree that a small amp miked seems to be the way nearly everyone goes these days. To my aging ears though it produces a thin tone.

Last edited:
Thanks Sergio!

Always nice to get a Bangin'! from Sergio.

Wait, um, that's not exactly...um...

:evil:

Back