Yet another pickup swap question!

RichardJ

Hi, still loving the new Mira X but I have this constant nag in the back of my head. I have a spare set of Dragon IIs sitting in the parts box and am interested in your opinions as to whether it is worth swapping them out with the 245 based pickups in the Mira X. I like the tones of the Mira X but it can be a bit wild, not a terrible thing but it does make it a bit less versatile. I really like the sound of the Dragons in my CE but of course that has very different woods and construction. For the first time I am reluctant to mess with my guitars simply for the sake of it, if it were a Strat or Tele I wouldn't think twice about it but I am a bit more precious and respectful of my PRSs and wouldn't want to fiddle if it wasn't beneficial.

SO, to help with the decision your thoughts and opinions would be really useful as to are the Dragons better than the Mira X's or just different? It would give the option to split the pickups so would be good for extra tonal options. Ultimately would it improve the sound or just alter it? It is just because I have the Dragons here sitting here unused.

This is really subjective I know but I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Depends on what you're after. I think the bridge D2 pickup is hotter and has more high end than 245/Mira pickup. Been a long time since I've heard D2's though so I may be off base.

Can't hurt to swap it out and see, of course. I'm a big fan of the Mira pickups, but you won't know 'til you try.

How bout backing it off a little bit? It'll be a touch less hot, but the bite will still be there. The Dragon IIs are way hotter than the Mira's pickups, I'd say they're darker sounding because I've heard people saying they sound muddy in Custom 22s. Assuming that by "too wild" you mean it's too bright, the DIIs might work for the Mira. Well, there's only one way to know! ;)

Last edited:
Have had both, and would probably consider swapping either or both PUs...Love the Dragon IIs...like they say...try it, can always swap back. Another side note, the Mira X isn't as Financially Valuable/collectable/etc...as a Private Stock, so it's probably a great guitar to start your luthiers' career , and without a coil tap...easier to wire. Unless, of course, you wanna wire taps in...Ewww,sounds fun...kinda like a challenge. just make it fun to play...and enjoy. That's the bottom line.

The same pickups will behave very differently in different guitars. There's no way to know without trying.

Set about the swap this morning and managed to get everything out of the Mira with no problems. Mounted the Dragons into the rings, got them into the body, started the wiring and....bugger..... the wires on the Dragons aren't long enough, looks like they might have been cut out of the previous guitar.

I'll have to get more cable from the interweb before I can continue.

Kids, ALWAYS check the wires before starting projects. If in any doubt get an appropriate adult to supervise!

Aww man that's super sad! However, if you're feeling desperate, just yank out some wires from old broken earphones and solder 'em up! :rofl:

When I had a Mira X just like yours I bought a set of Mira pickups, which are the uncovered/splittable version of 245s, with the micro-switch and all to install in it. I never used them and still have them sitting in a box. Just saying...:wink:

Kids, ALWAYS check the wires before starting projects. If in any doubt get an appropriate adult to supervise!

Typically, with today's technology, most folks would swap that around:

Adults, ALWAYS .... If in any doubt, get an appropriate kid to supervise!

Back