Yet Another 594

The engineer in me says that this is as much a result of tweaks made to the pickups / electronics, but whatever it is, the end result is magic.

^ This.
We can argue a lot about woods, construction techniques, pickups, caps values... but at the end of the day, some guitars sound better than others.

Thanks guys..... I've been playing this thing for the last few hours with a variety of amps and pedals. I had the chance to A/B this with a variety of identical rigs and pedal configurations. Both with my favorite PRS guitars and with a few holy-grails. It's strange because I have other guitars with 85/15's and 58/15's but the character of this guitar is really different. I might chalk it up to the low-turn part, but even boosted this one is different. Not sure why that would be... My PS DG stoptail is still a close second, but even in comparison with my vintage LPs, this guitar is better in terms of how it reacts with everything. Could be just the overall ergonomics of everything, but it's consistently better all around. The only thing even slightly non positive I can say about it is that the neck doesn't seem any different to me (which is fine, but based on the hype, I was expecting something different.) I'm not particularly affected by necks anyway, so no biggie for me...

The engineer in me says that this is as much a result of tweaks made to the pickups / electronics, but whatever it is, the end result is magic.

Awesome specimen there! It's the sum of a lot things, Paul would say. We all think "vintage" means LP because of the scale length and body depth of this guitar. I do think the pups play a big part, the LT charachteristic just makes for a sweet sounding tone machine.

I'm curious - what role does chambering play in PRS guitars? It's never mentioned, are any of the core models chambered, or is it certain they're all solid?

My singlecut is weight relieved. And I can assure this because I saw it through the airport scanner.
Those chambers make it sound more resonant, more acoustic, fuller and warmer. It's hard to explain in words but if you listen to some relieved guitars, it's a very distinctive "hall flavour".
My Gibson R9 and my PRS SC are two different guitars, if that serves as a reference.

Back