Yet Another 594

aristotle

Meant to be I guess.... Located less than a mile from me...exactly the finish I was partial to, price was right... Played it and I was hooked.

594-1_zps7hps32ua.jpg

594-3_zpsoyzoh5ef.jpg

594-2_zpsfouren4c.jpg

Initial impressions after 24 hours are:

1. Neck is sort of advertised as vintage LP. It doesn't really feel like that to me, but it matches the ergonomics of the guitar perfectly.

2. Tone-wise, I'd actually say it's more like the best vintage SG that you've ever heard or played (times 10) more so than Les Paul. Maybe it's because it's lighter than the typical Les Paul, and because of the double cut, but I think it's more than that. It's phat for sho, but it is also light depending on how you dial it.

3. Forget the SG comment above. The split tones make it an entirely different guitar. Maybe Ric, or maybe Tele. Depends on how you set the volume and tone controls.

4. Disabused me of some notions that I've held lately.... Namely that the pedal / amp relationship isn't particularly dependent on the guitar. OD pedals that I've relegated to the heap are now front and center again.

I'm not really sure what to attribute it to. The low turn pickups maybe. The thicker body maybe. It really is a step forward though when I didn't think that was really possible.

A few observations:

1. Wow, I love that finish -- it's really beautiful, and fits the vibe of the instrument. Congrats!

2. Interesting comparisons! I've got a 1965 SG, but don't have a vintage LP on hand (If memory serves, you do). I had several Rics in my studio for many years (until I went all PRS maybe 12 years ago). It'll be fun to split the coils on my 594 when it comes, and see what you mean. Funny you should mention Tele, because I think my 2015 McCarty with 58/15s sounds just a little bit Tele when the coils are tapped.

3. Speaking only for myself, I find that certain amps, and certain pedals sometimes work or don't work with a given guitar. In the case of pedals, the combination of guitar and amp sometimes seems to matter quite a bit. As an example, I love the Xotic BB with the DG30 and The Hammer Of The Gods (yes, I get a chuckle out of calling it that, ;)), but not with some of my other guitars and amps.

Depends on the pedal, though. I found the OCD was fairly amp/guitar agnostic, and the Suhr Kokoboost is Switzerland, it's neutral and works with anyone. Others depend sometimes on how transparent they are. Something like a Keely modded Blues Driver doesn't seem to care what you throw at it, it's got its own thing happening.

Oh! You all are killing me! No, MY WIFE is killing me if y buy another guitar. But you are feeding my gas so hard...

Beautiful guitar!

Oh my! Have a horrible feeling I'm not going to be able to stop at only one 594 and seeing yours really doesn't help!! Beautiful.

These guitars are irresistible aren't they I'm a sucker for the 'traditional' colours. Dealer I got mine from here in the UK has just taken delivery of 3 PS models - copies of the original PS 594. Not looking, not looking, not looking

My absolute favorite of the 594 finishes. Tobacco Burst seems perfect on this one.

Enjoy it!!

Kevin

Sweet guitar man! Freak in ginger awesome amps too! I bet that guitar sounds killer with one of them those amps
Something like a Keely modded Blues Driver doesn't seem to care what you throw at it, it's got its own thing happening.

Hey Les the Keeley blues driver is probably my favorite pedal. It honestly does the least out of all my pedals but what it does is magic!

Awesome, congrats!!

Love that finish and top! Classic...

Thanks for the first impressions, interesting stuff!

These things are so great tonally, and so versatile. Also they inspire me more so than any other models have to explore new tones, play with less gain, and really explore more vintage tones.

I am really digging OD and Boost pedals in front of amps with this guitar, I think I will be buying more pedals! ;)

Thanks guys..... I've been playing this thing for the last few hours with a variety of amps and pedals. I had the chance to A/B this with a variety of identical rigs and pedal configurations. Both with my favorite PRS guitars and with a few holy-grails. It's strange because I have other guitars with 85/15's and 58/15's but the character of this guitar is really different. I might chalk it up to the low-turn part, but even boosted this one is different. Not sure why that would be... My PS DG stoptail is still a close second, but even in comparison with my vintage LPs, this guitar is better in terms of how it reacts with everything. Could be just the overall ergonomics of everything, but it's consistently better all around. The only thing even slightly non positive I can say about it is that the neck doesn't seem any different to me (which is fine, but based on the hype, I was expecting something different.) I'm not particularly affected by necks anyway, so no biggie for me...

The engineer in me says that this is as much a result of tweaks made to the pickups / electronics, but whatever it is, the end result is magic.

Back