YESSSS!!! They removed the neck binding from the DGT again!

I like the wood binding. Plastic binding, without the rest of the body having it, always looked ‘off’ to me. The two plastic strips seem so out of place.

I believe I only have one PRS with plastic binding and I added a bunch of faux ivory parts to balance it out (for my tastes). To each, their own.

I’ve been cut by sharp frets before. Mostly from a BC Rich I used to play - before grunge made my pointy guitar seem silly.

I’ve never had a sharp fret from a PRS.

Last edited:
You’ve probably heard of John Mellencamp; he played guitar for him early in his career when Mellencamp was more active. Grissom’s a well-known session player as well as performer. I believe he also played with the Dixie Chicks, Allman Brothers Band, Bob Dylan, Chris Isaak, and some other well-known artists you’d have undoubtedly been aware of.

He’s one of those “guitar player’s guitar player” cats.

Thank you

I am aware of those artists, though not necessarily owning any of their material but that's more down to me and my musical preferences. I was aware of Tim Pierce years before he stepped out of the shadows and actually own quite a bit of his recorded material but I know some people are still amazed when they find out just how many records, which songs he has been involved with over his long career. I am not amazed though that a LOT of session musicians are PRS players - not always exclusively but often their main axe (unless they specifically need a Fender for example).

Its possible that I may have some song somewhere in my collection that David Grissom was on - I am sure I have Wicked Game by Chris Isaak on and I certainly have Jessica by the Allman Brothers but I don't think I have any songs by the other artists you mention. Anyway the point wasn't necessarily about my 'ignorance' of him but was meant more in praise of him or more importantly, the signature model of his.

I feel that a 'signature' guitar that is bought without any knowledge of the artist says a lot about the guitar itself. I think that the Mark Holcombe guitar, regardless of how good it is as an instrument, would target Holcombe fans and, maybe put others off if they aren't fans. The guitar comes with some preconceptions because people will associate it with the artist and the music he plays - good or bad in their mind. There are some people that don't want 'signature' models because they feel it pigeon holes them, feel its specced for the artist, not them or just not fans of the artist and/or their music. I feel, rightly or wrongly, that the DGT isn't seen as a 'signature' guitar by many - maybe because they haven't heard of him, don't know what DGT stands for etc and just 'try' it and love it. Maybe down the line they come to realise its a Signature but to them it was just a great guitar with a great neck, great PU's, great frets, the right layout for them and a Trem system too. In other words buying the guitar because its 'great' and not because they are a fan of the artist. Its possible that some people buy the other Signature models without knowing the artist and/or their music but I think that this is much more common with the DGT.

I like the wood binding. Plastic binding, without the rest of the body having it, always looked ‘off’ to me. The two plastic strips seem so out of place.

I believe I only have one PRS with plastic binding and I added a bunch of faux ivory parts to balance it out (for my tastes). To each, their own.

I’ve been cut by sharp frets before. Mostly from a BC Rich I used to play - before grunge made my pointy guitar seem silly.

I'm with you. I like wood binding, but plastic makes me go "meh". I've got a SC Ted that has white plastic binding on its ROSEWOOD neck. Yuck. I hate the look of it. Especially since it has a Honey finish and has the usual binding on the body. If it wasn't the single greatest singlecut ever made, I would have sold it by now. That's how much the binding bugs me. UNLESS, you tell me it not plastic, but Ivory. Then I love it.

For some reason, I kinda like the plastic, as well as the wood bindings. And the no-binding thing. That works fine for me, too.

My ‘65 Gibson has a plastic binding, and nothing else on the guitar matches it. My 60s and 70s Martins also had it. So that feature kind of feels like a vintage-traditional thing to me, and I’m good with it. I’ll agree that the wood binding is prettier. But hey, I’m easy!

I once had a couple of sharp fret ends on a PRS that came to me on a 100 degree day in the summer - I can only imagine the temperature in the truck - but the PTC took care of it immediately and it was perfect when it came back to me. Did I mention that I love the PTC?

I'm with you. I like wood binding, but plastic makes me go "meh". I've got a SC Ted that has white plastic binding on its ROSEWOOD neck. Yuck. I hate the look of it. Especially since it has a Honey finish and has the usual binding on the body. If it wasn't the single greatest singlecut ever made, I would have sold it by now. That's how much the binding bugs me. UNLESS, you tell me it not plastic, but Ivory. Then I love it.

Yeah, that guitar looks awful. :rolleyes::confused:

I don’t like binding on PRS guitars at all. Regardless of what it is made of.

I also think the nitro is a big disadvantage. Playing gigs in the gulf coast heat and humidity, modern nitro gets soft and gummy. I actually hate that, regardless of how good the guitar is otherwise. My buddies black 2008 DGT is a gummy mess under heat.

My DGT, on the other hand (avatar guitar) has an unbound rosewood neck with an ebony board. Plus the V12 or whatever it was on the body. Never gets sticky, neck feels just about perfect.

The only thing I don’t like are the pickup covers. I prefer PRS without them. I may take them off soon, but I love the tone now.

I also think the nitro is a big disadvantage. Playing gigs in the gulf coast heat and humidity, modern nitro gets soft and gummy.

In summers, Michigan gets humid and hot. No problem with the “shatter hard” PS nitro at all. I have four with it, and all feel as stable as the other PRS finish in hot/humid weather.

Could be luck, but I’m battin’ 1000 here so far. No idea if this is what’s on the new DGT.

On the other hand, my 335 Custom Shop model and some other nitro guitars were goopy in similar weather, so I understand your concern.

My (admittedly poor) ears hear a difference between nitro (satin or the uber sexy high gloss version on PS) and the regular gloss finish to the point where I prefer satin nitro to the regular gloss finish now. It’s subtle but it is there. That’s said I want to test my theory with one of these crazy nice wood library runs out there, but alas I’m in sell mode.
I don’t really have good ears, but definitely prefer a satin nitro when I am playing. Could also be the fact that both of my satin guitars are all-hog, but there is just something nice about the tone.

I could give it a holiday if the sight of it offends you so much!;)

Just slip it in an envelope!:D

The other thing 2019 DGTs hopefully should have (and my 2018 has) is the modified Phase 3 tuners ( from the 594). Definitely makes a difference, my DGT easily sustains as much as my 594 which, when i first bought it, shocked me with its sustain.

Net, a great time to get a DGT

The site shows the 2019 DGT without binding, but I've seen a number of 2019 DGTs in the wild with binding. I assumed these were leftover from 2018, but hadn't seen a 2019 without binding so I wasn't sure.

I'm glad to see Shawn chime in on this one. I prefer no binding so I'm stoked. And they are back to being nitro. And I can get Dark Cherry Burst. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

I've been incredibly bummed out about having to sell my DGT a couple years back and this thread is making me anxious to get back in the game. I'd literally order the same damn guitar, same Mash Green and all (ok, I liked I'd try a Maple neck this time).

May we all join JFB in the TMMDGT2K19 camp this year.

Back