YESSSS!!! They removed the neck binding from the DGT again!

The site shows the 2019 DGT without binding, but I've seen a number of 2019 DGTs in the wild with binding. I assumed these were leftover from 2018, but hadn't seen a 2019 without binding so I wasn't sure.

I'm glad to see Shawn chime in on this one. I prefer no binding so I'm stoked. And they are back to being nitro. And I can get Dark Cherry Burst. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

The site shows the 2019 DGT without binding, but I've seen a number of 2019 DGTs in the wild with binding. I assumed these were leftover from 2018, but hadn't seen a 2019 without binding so I wasn't sure.

I'm glad to see Shawn chime in on this one. I prefer no binding so I'm stoked. And they are back to being nitro. And I can get Dark Cherry Burst. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

Nitro? I didn’t see that in the spec! May have to take my money, too, at some point, ‘cause I love nitro. And moons!

DGT? Oh, that’s the guitar that the guy who helped design my amp plays. I wonder if he’s ever tried a Santana?

I'm pretty sure PRSh would kill you! Did you see Paul's expression when they talked about the tweaks on the DGT over the years, especially the pickups and the only PRS guitar to have a completely different neck profile.

I can imagine the Police report. Victim attempted to steal accused's car some years ago and exacerbated circumstances by suggesting that one of his Artists play another Artists guitar, following years of research and development into said Artist's instrument. Verdict - NOT GUILTY!;)

Anything ordered in 2018 will be built to 2018 specs. 2019 orders will be built to 2019 specs.

C'mon Les...we've sat down and had a meal together at Bridges....you should know me better than that! ;) I was just excited that they went back to the original spec, and was sharing the excitement.

Yup, wasn’t dissing the thread, just kinda got excited over the idea of a slick new NGD a pal might have!

But this thread did give me DGT GAS. I’ve never owned one.

Nitro finish is far more important to me than neck binding (for the record I prefer no binding unless it’s wood binding)

For a long time, I was convinced that the nitro thing was complete BS, even though I was a Gibson player for 25 years.

I changed my mind when PRS came out with a few nitro models like the early DGT, and some limited runs.

I can’t put my finger on a description, but there’s definitely a tone quality to it.

I like PRS’ current standard finished guitars, too, but given the choice, yeah, nitro. One reason I went with a few PS models.

I don't understand the preference for a non-bound neck. As long as it doesn't affect neck shape or where the fret ends (frets tend to go over the binding in my experience), I see no issue at all - even less if the binding is 'natural', a strip of flame maple for example instead of some plastic material. It has no impact to me on the playability and I think it can look more classy too. Aesthetics though are somewhat subjective so I would like to hear why going to an unbound neck is preferable if its not just personal aesthetic taste.

Nitro though does have an effect on tone and on feel. We all know its not as durable and more sensitive to temperature change but it does have some impact on the tone. PRS obviously prefer the much harder wearing, more durable finish which is much more likely to protect the instrument and why a lot of 'old' PRS guitars still look virtually unplayed. Pro's and Con's to each and I can certainly understand why some may have a preference for either. The finish isn't just a 'cosmetic' difference but one that has an impact on both tone and feel. For me, the 'perfect' finish for me would be the standard PRS finish on the body, inc the back - and thus protecting it - with a solid Rosewood neck which offers the best 'feel' where my hand is most in contact with the guitar (also I prefer the tone). I know some may prefer a solid Maple (Roasted or not) which could also be an option for those that prefer Maple necks.

I must admit, if it wasn't for his signature model PRS, I personally would never of heard of David Grissom. I don't even think I have any song or album (even compilations) that has anything he has recorded. Maybe he is much more famous in the US but its amazing how many people love the DGT. I know a few that love it and didn't even know it was a 'signature' guitar - wasn't aware of what the DGT stood for. Its amazing that after all this time, his signature model is still popular enough that it is a main stay of the core PRS signature models. Santana is 'understandable' after all, he is globally known and associated with PRS. Whether I know who he is or not, you have to hand it to him that his preferences for a guitar are well liked - enough that people who don't really know who he is, what music he plays etc are buying a DGT because they love it as an instrument.

For a long time, I was convinced that the nitro thing was complete BS, even though I was a Gibson player for 25 years.

I changed my mind when PRS came out with a few nitro models like the early DGT, and some limited runs.

I can’t put my finger on a description, but there’s definitely a tone quality to it.

I like PRS’ current standard finished guitars, too, but given the choice, yeah, nitro. One reason I went with a few PS models.
My (admittedly poor) ears hear a difference between nitro (satin or the uber sexy high gloss version on PS) and the regular gloss finish to the point where I prefer satin nitro to the regular gloss finish now. It’s subtle but it is there. That’s said I want to test my theory with one of these crazy nice wood library runs out there, but alas I’m in sell mode.

My (admittedly poor) ears hear a difference between nitro (satin or the uber sexy high gloss version on PS) and the regular gloss finish to the point where I prefer satin nitro to the regular gloss finish now. It’s subtle but it is there. That’s said I want to test my theory with one of these crazy nice wood library runs out there, but alas I’m in sell mode.

I’ve compared my nitro PS models with my recent WL guitars with what I think is the current, or at least, very recent finish. First of all, they all sound wonderful. The nitro ones still have a “thing” happening that I can’t put into words. It’s likely that most people won’t care about these tiny differences, but for me, that’s what makes this whole guitar trip so interesting!

I must admit, if it wasn't for his signature model PRS, I personally would never of heard of David Grissom. I don't even think I have any song or album (even compilations) that has anything he has recorded.

You’ve probably heard of John Mellencamp; he played guitar for him early in his career when Mellencamp was more active. Grissom’s a well-known session player as well as performer. I believe he also played with the Dixie Chicks, Allman Brothers Band, Bob Dylan, Chris Isaak, and some other well-known artists you’d have undoubtedly been aware of.

He’s one of those “guitar player’s guitar player” cats.

Back