Yeah, so six years ago today...this happened.

wait, what???? You had a bike accident? You told me you were torn up from wild redhead lovemaking! This makes more sense... but just a little. :p

I rode all the time when I was younger but almost got killed twice in 10 days and that was it. Sold my new Kaw that only had 2200 miles on it and have never ridden since.

Seriously, love ya bro. I'm glad you're handling this so well. Not sure I would. I mean, yeah I get it that those meds that make you so goofy do actually help a lot. But still... I don't know how I'd handle it. Among the other things it would have cost me is my job as forum Speedo model, and Alan would finally take over the throne. THAT would really hurt after all the time and dedication I've put in.

Fight the good fight, my man!

5 years ago......

Commuting home from work I get a love tap from a driver next to me. Unfortunately, the love tap was his rear side mirror hitting my handle bar and immediately jerking the bars to full lock. The bike goes down and I am essentially catapulted into the pavement. I was only going ~25mph, but imagine being forcibly driven into the pavement at 25mph. Broke my clavicle into three distinct pieces and snapped each and every rib OFF of my spine on the right side. I also fractured my tibia but didn't even notice.

3 years ago .....

Coming out of turn 3A at Sears Point, I have a simple little low side. Something slick on the track (3 bikes went down). Right leg gets caught under the bike and gets twisted. I then slide across the track and when I hit the dirt I start tumbling. I ended up just shattering my scapula during the tumble. I now have a permanent hole in the middle of my scapula and my right leg has 5 pins and plate in it.

Last night.....

Told my wife I need to get another bike.

These are all brutal stories.

I've had motorcycles since high school. I've had a ton of very close calls and training is a must.

I've done two racing schools. Jason Pridmore Star school racing. It was a blast but ultimately it taught me some serious control of my machine. If you can learn new and unlearn old habits I highly recommend it.

I've always been a sport bike guy until 4 years ago. Now I have an ultra classic HD so my wife and I ride in comfort. We still dirt bike too. I ride a KTM exc250 2 stroke. Total blast.

My worst injury was hitting a turkey vulture with my face at 70mph on my kawasaki zx9r. I just can't describe that impact, very violent.

I did not crash but once I got stopped I was done. Crazy stuff.

Anyway, got to watch every single car on the road as if they all intend to run you over.

Probably going to get the HD out on Saturday as long I don't have to work. Been burning the candle at both ends here lately.

These are all brutal stories.

I've had motorcycles since high school. I've had a ton of very close calls and training is a must.

I've done two racing schools. Jason Pridmore Star school racing. It was a blast but ultimately it taught me some serious control of my machine. If you can learn new and unlearn old habits I highly recommend it.

Completely agree!! I've taken two different two different racing schools and have done countless laps at the three popular North California race tracks. It makes a HUGE difference in riding ability.

Every time I view or hear of a vehicle or bike accident, my mind automatically stops thinking about the potential trauma that's happened, and turns to the Dave Matthews tune of the same thing. It helps me cope with how accident victims have suffered, and "dumbs down" the empathetic hurt I'd usually feel.

No offense to Scott, but I've personally escaped serious injury or death 4 times in my life, and I can't help but not think about each time, because of the sheer trauma that occurred back then.

Scott, sorry to hear about your serious accident 6 years ago, and my wish is that you enjoy a full and happy life without the associated pain or suffering that recovering from crashes cause. I'd share my stories with you, but dredging up past history only re-opens old emotional wounds. The reason I often cringe when I view or read about someone who is experiencing some particularly grim episodes in life.

WHAT?!?!???!!!!

Yep. I had a '97 McCarty which I sold in 2000 (?) to pay the taxman. Then I had a 2000 Singlecut and a 2004 Cu24 that I sold, along with 4 or 5 other guitars when I decided I was gonna hang up the guitar, in 2009. I kept a slab Godin that was worth about $250 in case I felt the need to scratch an itch.

Yep. I had a '97 McCarty which I sold in 2000 (?) to pay the taxman. Then I had a 2000 Singlecut and a 2004 Cu24 that I sold, along with 4 or 5 other guitars when I decided I was gonna hang up the guitar, in 2009. I kept a slab Godin that was worth about $250 in case I felt the need to scratch an itch.

I've heard Godins make good back scratchers.

Well you certainly made up for lost time! I know I've told the story before so I won't again, but early marriage, bad pregnancy medical bills and off work for the wife, I sold all my guitars except my graduation present Ibanez. That's when I sold my Les Paul Custom. ha... back when it tooks MONTHS to sell it for $450...

I'll join the others in congratulating you for surviving that accident. I've been riding since I was a kid, and have been riding street since high school. Went down a couple of times, no major injuries. I still ride - in fact I'm teaching my oldest on a 500cc these days. I love riding and I love playing guitar. Don't see myself giving either up anytime soon. Have fun!

Back