Yeah, I'm kind of a nerd... show off your arts & crafty Tony Romo side, lol

mezzio

The Force is weak in ^^
For about 8 years now I've been creating chainmaille pieces on and off. I'm a member of the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association, and decided to make some wallet chains in our colors to raise some funds to help fight veteran homelessness & the honor flight (the 2 causes we're supporting in our chapter, so far they're turning out pretty cool.

cvma.jpg

Here's a couple examples, making chains with box weave, byzantine, and a weird one called "bee hive"

Byzatine

Box w/ round wire rings

box w/ square wire rings

Bee-hive

Been looking for different patterns that'll work, but I only have a few different sizes, and the patterns need to at least somewhat keep the colors even.

Well I decided to take a break from the chains for a couple days (who cares if I'm backed up at the moment, this part is gonna be super cool :) ), because I found a cheap guitar strap, so why not combine these!

Should only take me a couple days to finish it up, I think I'll just use some of the really tiny rings I have to attach the sheet of rings to the strap by punching holes in it. Unfortunately I don't think a strap make only of chains will work since they're just aluminum, and a few of my guitars are pretty heavy.

Anyone else have any nerd like things they enjoy putting together?! Show it off :)

OK I'm a Vet so I guess I'll muster up for this one, and thanks for raising funds to benefit our brothers.

My only other thing outside of guitars & music is fishing. I inherited an old bamboo rod that was close to 100 years old and had been mistreated and abused during it's tenure on the water, so I took it upon myself to learn how to professionally restore an antique bamboo rod. Spent 4-5 weeks on it (researching,learning,and doing the work) and it went so surprisingly well I was astonished by the kudos I got from the fishing gear forum that I learned from. I posted the results and they said I might consider bamboo rod restoration as a side career. After I finished it, I paired it up with a 1940's reel and put it up in my living room, wouldn't ever use it, I mainly do surfcasting or deep sea and it's a only little freshwater rod. Cool antique to have, never did any others since. Too busy plucking on my PRSi.

Before

After

I accumulate hobbies more than some people here accumulate guitars. Glass etching, model trains, gemstone hunting, pumpkin carving. ..

Here is Captain Barbosa I carved into a Styrofoam pumpkin.
IMG_0132_zpsde637d40.jpg

I made a few beer koozies outta leftover Louis Vuitton vinyl if that counts? Working on a strap as well... We could start a wicked Etsy store. :top:

OK I'm a Vet so I guess I'll muster up for this one, and thanks for raising funds to benefit our brothers.

My only other thing outside of guitars & music is fishing. I inherited an old bamboo rod that was close to 100 years old and had been mistreated and abused during it's tenure on the water, so I took it upon myself to learn how to professionally restore an antique bamboo rod. Spent 4-5 weeks on it (researching,learning,and doing the work) and it went so surprisingly well I was astonished by the kudos I got from the fishing gear forum that I learned from. I posted the results and they said I might consider bamboo rod restoration as a side career. After I finished it, I paired it up with a 1940's reel and put it up in my living room, wouldn't ever use it, I mainly do surfcasting or deep sea and it's a only little freshwater rod. Cool antique to have, never did any others since. Too busy plucking on my PRSi.

Before

After

That turned out pretty good

I made a few beer koozies outta leftover Louis Vuitton vinyl if that counts? Working on a strap as well... We could start a wicked Etsy store. :top:

The PRSGuitarForums shop of wonderful junk you never knew you needed!!

Well I don't know if I'll actually be able to do a strap, at least not with the rings I started with.

Here's a 4.25" section... I need to make another 35.75". In this section I already used 118 black rings, 59 red rings and 38 gold. All together I'll need about 998 black, 599 red and 398 yellow, and I just don't think I have enough to do it all :( I could order more, but the colors would probably be off since anodizing isn't exactly consistent every time.

If I do get it finished it'll at least look cool :)

Well I don't know if I'll actually be able to do a strap, at least not with the rings I started with.

Here's a 4.25" section... I need to make another 35.75". In this section I already used 118 black rings, 59 red rings and 38 gold. All together I'll need about 998 black, 599 red and 398 yellow, and I just don't think I have enough to do it all :( I could order more, but the colors would probably be off since anodizing isn't exactly consistent every time.

If I do get it finished it'll at least look cool :)

Don't quit Mez!!!, if the color is off a tad it probably won't make much of a difference as the whole thing will have that cool ass "IT" factor once it's done.
People won't say "Hey a couple of those links are a shade off", they'll say "Whoa that's baddass".

Don't quit Mez!!!, if the color is off a tad it probably won't make much of a difference as the whole thing will have that cool ass "IT" factor once it's done.
People won't say "Hey a couple of those links are a shade off", they'll say "Whoa that's baddass".

I did a rough estimate and I should have enough rings to finish it... I probably won't do a full 40 inches, maybe do 25-30" so I have room to adjust the strap if I want. The adjuster goes across my back, so it'll be hidden.

Back