YEA!!! I WAS RIGHT!!!

Tag

The old semi hollow trems cant be beat. Check this dead clean tone of my 10th anniversary ( a 20 year old PRS) against a brand spanking new ultra woods to the hilt almost twice the price PS with the same PUPS. (new 57/08s) This is the old semi hollow build. McCarty depth with the cap on the back. This is the way my Pomegranate was done, and what PRS himself seemed thrilled with when he was playing it. (Thanks to paul Miles for going back and looking at the old construction method, which is exactly like my 10th) Same exact settings, everything. You can hear the bigness, depth of tone and focus on the 10th compared to the PS, and the PS has nitro which I KNOW is an advantage tonally. Bring these babies back!! :rock: Listen for yourself here. First is the 10th, then the PS. I did not think it possible for my ego to get any bigger. I was wrong!! :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well tag they both sound great, but I have to say I still think the 10th has a more pronounced sound.

Well tag they both sound great, but I have to say I still think the 10th has a more pronounced sound.

Totally agree. :rock: And you should hear the Johnny Smith hanging up in the back ground. :eek: I wish PRS would make some Carve top guitars with floating pups. :)

Tag, as I randomly clicked on the timeline between the two guitars, there were passages that sounded very, very similar, and some that didn't.

Either one would make me pretty darn happy on balance. I might prefer the PS with a more overdriven amp, and the anniversary model with the clean amp.

I like the tone of the PS better. Not just a little better, but way better.

Which reinforces the point that we are all individuals and we all want to hear what we want to hear. It also reinforces the point that the current thread on 57/08s is just an academic exercise. You will like them enough to pay for them or not. They will be "PAFish" to you or not. That is a good thing (one way or the other) or not.

I'm not saying it isn't useful to hear others describe what the hear and like or don't like, but the enmity involved in asserting opinions is meaningless and useless.

Gather opinions, they are your starting point. But the evaluation is up to you and your own ears.

BTW, nice playing, Tag.

I like the tone of the PS better. Not just a little better, but way better.

Which reinforces the point that we are all individuals and we all want to hear what we want to hear. It also reinforces the point that the current thread on 57/08s is just an academic exercise. You will like them enough to pay for them or not. They will be "PAFish" to you or not. That is a good thing (one way or the other) or not.

I'm not saying it isn't useful to hear others describe what the hear and like or don't like, but the enmity involved in asserting opinions is meaningless and useless.

Gather opinions, they are your starting point. But the evaluation is up to you and your own ears.

BTW, nice playing, Tag.

The blue one sounds GREAT! I have owned 4 PSs, still own three, and its my favorite. I love both of these. they both have the semi hollow tone that I really love, and each bring something unique to the table. That being said, I feel the capped semi hollow method is the better sounding of these two building techniques for most of what i play. Its why I also always try and put up clip. So people can decide for themselves. If anyone wants to order a semi hollow PS, i think this is a good clip to listen to in regards to two different ways PRS builds them. If you do not state one way or the other, you are going to get the Blue guitar method, and that is not the way the old Artist 3s and 10ths were done. I am really glad paul Miles figured this out! I am not happy in took me 4 PSs to get it right. :mad: I actually bought the 10th as kind of a test piece, and hoping it would sound as good as I remembered my old semi Hollow A.3s sounding. It does. :) Now I am hoping I can get the Pomegranate one to sound this good, if its doesnt already. I know it sounded GREAT, so I am really looking forward to getting it back. If anything, adjusting these 57/08s is critical to getting them to sound the way you want. They are vfery height sensitive, which to me is a great thing. Many different shades of greatness to be had with a simple turning of two screws. :rock: Really rich sounding, excellent pick ups.

Tag I know what you mean in the early 70,s I worked at cintioli music in Philly, and they got seconds from gibson so I bought a blond Johnny smith for next to nothing,and I sold it for a 62 335 worst mistake I ever made.Fortunatley my friend bought it and still has it so I could play it anytime I want.But he won't sell it back to me oh well.

Tag I know what you mean in the early 70,s I worked at cintioli music in Philly, and they got seconds from gibson so I bought a blond Johnny smith for next to nothing,and I sold it for a 62 335 worst mistake I ever made.Fortunatley my friend bought it and still has it so I could play it anytime I want.But he won't sell it back to me oh well.

Ouch. The JSs are SUCH great guitars. You always hear about L5s and Super 400s, but the JS is my favorite. (George Bensons too! ;)) At least you still get to play it!

I know what you mean here, but I'd state it differently….I hear a more 'pronounced', punchier sound from the blue PS, but certainly do hear more HB-like dynamics from the 10th. Being more of a fan of any guitar with holes, you can guess which I prefer. In any case though they both sound great, and I always enjoy your playing, Tag.

Sounds pretty good man. I would still want to hear one in a wrap around and in a two piece.

Awesome guitars and playing as always! Would you mind telling us how you get your video and audio to YouTube? As in, what gear are you using to record? It sounds great.

Woolly

Awesome guitars and playing as always! Would you mind telling us how you get your video and audio to YouTube? As in, what gear are you using to record? It sounds great.

Woolly

Thanks guys! Please dont take this thread wrong, BOTH guitars are monsters, and I LOVE both of them. I just enjoy the 10ths tones a little bit more. What a killer guitar!! THANKS HANS!! :)

Wooly.... This last clip was with a brand newcanon SX280 HS I just got from radio shack a few days ago for $199.00 My other clips have been with either a Zoom Q2 HD or an old piece of junk Nikon that is TOTALLY outdated. (I think its 6-8 years old!) The best clips IMO are the ones I record with my Boss BR900 digital recorder and then just past a picture of the guitar on it in Windows "movie maker" to make it a video and get it on you tube. My clean tones are a Fender SRRI and most of the overdriven tones are with a Quinn amps TKT 183, which is a clone of my old Dumble serial #183.

Sounds pretty good man. I would still want to hear one in a wrap around and in a two piece.

I had 2 Artist 3s semi hollows that were exactly the same except one had the wrap around and one had a trem. The trem sounded much better IMO, and the wrap around was a heck of a guitar!

Back