Yaaay.

I was astonished (and impressed) to see that on my Reverb feed the other day.

I do have to wonder though, how many of those Reverb sales are from Nebula and Lunar Ice limiteds flipping multiple times?

Also have to consider you can walk into most music stores and find a US strat, SS not so much.

I just heard about that on Know your gear youtube cast. That's wild they got so popular, and awesome that I have one. Bought in an un-shady suburb of Chicago for about $500 off a new one and it was basically new. The owner just wanted to wait on a Maple fret board one. The year was 2018. A year of great freedom but a year when all Silver Sky's were not available anywhere. The color is Frost, "You Know What I Look Like" sounds like an old country song that hasn't been written yet.

Very cool. It would be interesting to know how many of those sales were used vs new.

With the guitars coming from Fender these days, I'm not at all surprised. I had the same issue looking for a new Strat this year, that I had looking for an LP about 10 years ago. Trying to go for something authentic (and we're talking before "play authentic" was even a thing!!!) and attempted to find something from the traditional brand in both cases, but just couldn't find something with the quality and sound both on par in one guitar. 10 years ago were rough days for Gibson, and I couldn't find an LP that had "the sound" and also played and stayed in tune, had clean construction and attention to detail. This year, looking at strats, same thing. Inconsistent tone even between the same exact models, sharp fret ends, necks choked out tonally from drowning in excess lacquer. Ended up back on a PRS in both cases, and can also say that in both of those periods, of many guitars, I only played one G or F that really stood out as having it all. For Gibson, it was a Bill Kelliher Explorer that a friend owned, and for Fender, an American Original Strat. Also, other than that American Original, most of the Squiers felt and sounded better than the MIA's. But in either case, I could pick up any PRS in the store and not have any of those problems.

I might have a problem with PRS making SC594's and SS's if F and G were pumping out some high quality guitars and PRS was just trying to get in on the action to make a buck. But in both cases, at the time the models were introduced, it was at least in part due to legitimately not being able to easily or consistently get a good guitar from the other brand. Now that some time has passed, we're starting to see Gibson focus more on quality, which I think has some to do with them losing sales to PRS. Hopefully Fender will do the same after losing sales to the Silver Sky.

Very cool. It would be interesting to know how many of those sales were used vs new.

With the guitars coming from Fender these days, I'm not at all surprised. I had the same issue looking for a new Strat this year, that I had looking for an LP about 10 years ago. Trying to go for something authentic (and we're talking before "play authentic" was even a thing!!!) and attempted to find something from the traditional brand in both cases, but just couldn't find something with the quality and sound both on par in one guitar. 10 years ago were rough days for Gibson, and I couldn't find an LP that had "the sound" and also played and stayed in tune, had clean construction and attention to detail. This year, looking at strats, same thing. Inconsistent tone even between the same exact models, sharp fret ends, necks choked out tonally from drowning in excess lacquer. Ended up back on a PRS in both cases, and can also say that in both of those periods, of many guitars, I only played one G or F that really stood out as having it all. For Gibson, it was a Bill Kelliher Explorer that a friend owned, and for Fender, an American Original Strat. Also, other than that American Original, most of the Squiers felt and sounded better than the MIA's. But in either case, I could pick up any PRS in the store and not have any of those problems.

I might have a problem with PRS making SC594's and SS's if F and G were pumping out some high quality guitars and PRS was just trying to get in on the action to make a buck. But in both cases, at the time the models were introduced, it was at least in part due to legitimately not being able to easily or consistently get a good guitar from the other brand. Now that some time has passed, we're starting to see Gibson focus more on quality, which I think has some to do with them losing sales to PRS. Hopefully Fender will do the same after losing sales to the Silver Sky.

I'm surprised. I thought Fender had their production game down pretty well. That said, I have a friend who bought one of the recent American high-end production strats and had frets popping out of the fretboard that had to be ruthlessly glued back down.

While most of my guitar $ lies with PRS I have a Fender American pro 1 sss,American pro II hss and Tele and they are very nice guitars that sound great. The sss I had fret leveling done initially but both the pro II’s were right on. I haven’t played a silver sky but it’s probably best I don’t and enjoy what I have. Also have a standard 61 SG that has excellent qc. It seems you hear a lot about the bad ones and not so much the others. Maybe I’ve just been lucky?

Back