X’s New MT 15 Amp Day Video & 1st Thoughts!

I haven't contacted PRS yet...1st trying to get feedback from the forums from other users...like I said before I can't compare the mt15 because none of the stores have it in stock. Mine was an online order and the box it was shipped in was in good condition, but who knows maybe it still got tossed around. I agree with you X-Mann , I think the 15w/7w is very misleading for people thinking it would be a good practice amp for low volume playing and with heavy gain created by Tremonti's style. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great minus the hiss. Also what's missing for me is the master/output knob for the clean and lead volume. With my Mesa single rec that master/output knob really helps you to fine tune/taper up/down the volume. The volume knob for the clean & lead on the mt15 doesn't taper down to well. But I did solve the volume problem...I just got last week an Ernie Ball MVP volume pedal and hooked it up in the loop. It basically becomes your master/output volume control without losing any signal. Also I'm gonna do some experimenting with this pedal. It has a gain knob...I'm gonna lower the mt15 gain down to 8-9 o clock and turn up the gain on the volume pedal and see what kind of gain I'm getting. Do you think a noise gate in the loop will solve that hiss issue at low/practice volumes? Or try the Ebtech Hum X first?

I Also I'm gonna do some experimenting with this pedal. It has a gain knob...I'm gonna lower the mt15 gain down to 8-9 o clock and turn up the gain on the volume pedal and see what kind of gain I'm getting. Do you think a noise gate in the loop will solve that hiss issue at low/practice volumes? Or try the Ebtech Hum X first?
Ok....1st off, I think lowering the Gain & taking another listen to what’s happening is a great start. Maybe w/ the Gain at 11.2 you’ll still have the Gain you need & less of an issue.

I know for a fact that a noise Gate up front will eliminate a lot of what’s getting amplified by your Pickups. You may also want to look at your pickup height too?

I also needed a noise gate after the FX loop to get a dead quiet set-up, but that’s not always needed. There’s a balance with noise gates & too much results in a tight clamp, but can kill sustain & then you also can’t roll your guitars volume knob back.....because the gate will not have enough signal & shut you down. :(

I had a 50-Watt Mesa Recto a long time ago & it had a very smiliar “Amp Noise” on the Gain channel that I directly associate w/ High Gain Amps.

The Ebtech Hum-X will only fix an actual ground loop. I don’t think that’s your issue & I already had one due a ground loop with my all Metal Chassis (Like the MT15) Carvin Legacy 3. That amp needed ithe Hum-X to break the loop.

I always put one on my amps power cord now. That’s just me though....;)

I’m going to raise my Gain up a bit to see what happens w/ my set-up.

A good or bad guitar rig is the entire package & all the pieces in-between. Some don’t play nice with each other due to (Line Level or instrument level) how the amps FX loop is designed. Your guitars grounding, fluorescent lights, your power & much more......

Never plug into multiple/different wall sockets & sometimes an FX pedals power adapter can cause issues. If your pedal board is metal, there could be an issue there as well.

I’m no expert & without seeing/hearing a video of your exact set-up, I’m only guessing here.

I hope something here helps & maybe go into the Main MT15 thread here and ask the guys too?

X

Last edited:
I don't have any issues with my guitars once I'm plugged in with either my PRS Tremonti or LP Traditional. There are no issues with my pedals plugged in. The hiss/static is only mt15 and the mesa cab....as you turn up the lead volume & gain the hiss gets louder...Remember there are no guitars,no cables, no pedals plugged in. If I do plug in a guitar , pedals etc it doesn't make the hiss softer/less or louder/worse...it's still the same.

Well my 1st “Blender” gig is now done & in the books! It went VERY well for a multitude of reasons.......

The number one reason was the Tone from the MT15, the stage volume, the sound guys love of the amp tones & the reaction from friends, family & even a few strangers.

I didn’t have to max out the volume either
& there was plenty left to use.....

I’m hoping I’ll get some video & Audio tomorrow, but here’s a quick pic of my gig rig from tonight’s Thanksgiving Eve show....
Photo%20Nov%2021%2C%204%2048%2021%20PM.jpg

The amp just feels good on stage....& looks just killer!!!

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!

X

What would be cool would be having the lights in the cab match the MT-15 blue/red channel switching!:cool:
Yea, I thought about that too & love the idea.

The gig was a blast & having great Tone was a huge part of that for me. My wireless unit went out on the very 1st song, but I had a guitar cable ready to go.
Photo%20Nov%2021%2C%209%2045%2035%20PM.jpg

It was a packed house (only 150 people) & my entire family was there too. My wife 3-sons & all the ladies in their lives....& tons of musician friends.

Here’s a pic of my oldest son Steve (Named after Vai because I was only 19 when I had him) & his wife Dr Mann.....
Photo%20Nov%2022%2C%2012%2019%2026%20AM.jpg

I’m very lucky to have these moments, these people & all this crazy good gear in my life!!!

Enjoy the day today boys & again “Happy Thanksgiving” everyone! #thankful ;)

Tim

Glad to hear the new band is jelling so quickly. Great gig and family pics. Happy Thanksgiving Tim

Thx & same to you!!! I hope that your Turkey was moist today!!!! :D
Oh boy was it! My wife outdid herself this time. My friends always remark about how they can’t understand how we’re both so thin when she cooks the way she does.

Yea, I thought about that too & love the idea.

The gig was a blast & having great Tone was a huge part of that for me. My wireless unit went out on the very 1st song, but I had a guitar cable ready to go.
Photo%20Nov%2021%2C%209%2045%2035%20PM.jpg

It was a packed house (only 150 people) & my entire family was there too. My wife 3-sons & all the ladies in their lives....& tons of musician friends.

Here’s a pic of my oldest son Steve (Named after Vai because I was only 19 when I had him) & his wife Dr Mann.....
Photo%20Nov%2022%2C%2012%2019%2026%20AM.jpg

I’m very lucky to have these moments, these people & all this crazy good gear in my life!!!

Enjoy the day today boys & again “Happy Thanksgiving” everyone! #thankful ;)

Tim

Awesome! Glad it was great!

The MT15 Thread that just wont DIE!!!! :eek:

Ok boys.....I had my 2nd gig now w/ the new band on Friday night. I’ve got some video & audio of the MT15 in action & it sounds awesome!!! This is only the stage mix (& on the bass players side), but it sounds great with headphones on.

Everlong - Foo Fighters
use both MT15 channels on Everlong, but a drive pedal (RC Booster) from my Fractal FX8 is being used on the Blue Channel for this song.

Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossums
I use a 4db boost on the FX8 on the Red Channel for the guitar solo.

Heavy - Collective Soul
I use the 4db boost & the Clyde Wah on the FX8 for this solo.

The amp works great for me & I’ve had no issues at all yet. Both sound guys said they love the tones I’m getting & said “Set your tone how you like it on stage” & that they will make minor changes for the front of house mix.

I did get a bunch of video from different guitar solos & I may put a medley of them together....

I’m proud of this so far & only met these guys a little over 6-weeks ago. We are all fixing a few things & starting to see the true potential of what Blender is as a cover band....

As always.....Peace! X

I created a video of some of my favorite solos in my 90’s band called “Blender” from this Friday’s gig.

All Red Channel... \m/

Peace! X

Sounds great, I'm guessing you're in a 90s cover band :cool: I recognized everyone of those songs you played. Are you using the MT for gigs?

*EDIT* Never mind I see that you do use the amp for gigs....that's what I get for posting without reading all the way through a thread.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say Merry X-Mas to everyone here on the PRS forum & thanks for all the great amp talk this year!!!
Photo%20Dec%2022%2C%203%2028%2002%20PM.jpg

Have a stellar Holiday with your family & Friends....Don’t drink and drive & make sure you watch the most emotional Christmas movie of all time.....Die Hard!!! :D

Peace! Tim;)

PS - I WILL own a new PRS acoustic guitar in 2019 too, but don’t tell the Kiesel guitar people!!! :eek:

Last edited:
I just wanted to say Merry X-Mas to everyone here on the PRS forum & thanks for all the great amp talk this year!!!
Photo%20Dec%2022%2C%203%2028%2002%20PM.jpg

Have a stellar Holiday with your family & Friends....Don’t drink and drive & make sure you watch the most emotional Christmas movie of all time.....Die Hard!!! :D

Peace! Tim;)

PS - I WILL own a new PRS acoustic guitar in 2019 too, but don’t tell the Kiesel guitar people!!! :eek:

Right back at ya, Tim!

My 2019 New Years resolution was to let this thread die, but I’m 21-days in & don’t feel like starting a new thread.

Whatzzzz-Up PRS Boys?
Photo%20Jan%2020%2C%2012%2037%2040%20PM.jpg

1st off: My MT15 Stage rig is just killing it these days & I had a stellar gig with it this past Saturday (1/19/19) w/ my 90’s band Blender.

Here’s Velvet Revolvers song “Slither” w/ the X-Mann version of Slash’s killer way solo.
This amp sits perfectly in the mix, has plenty of volume & sounds great at volume.

2nd, How you (guys) doin? Any new PRS gear for X-Mas?

3rd - I just released my 3rd iTunes single under the Artist name of (wait for it) “X-Mann”. It’s a song that I shared a rough version of here called “Follow The Leader”

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow-the-leader-single/1450090607
Photo%20Jan%2012%2C%2011%2005%2047%20AM.jpg

ALL the amp tones are from the Waves PRS Supermodels plug-in & the Archon model.

This is why I looked into the Tremonti MT15 amp in the 1st place & what is my Sound & Tone.

To any of you w/ 99-cents to spare, I do appreacte your support & would love some feedback on the “Top Gun” meets Satriani Instrumental guitar original.

Peace! X-Mann

Last edited:
Back