X’s New MT 15 Amp Day Video & 1st Thoughts!

Happy Halloween Boys!!!!
Photo%20Oct%2031%2C%205%2054%2026%20AM.jpg

Let’s be safe out there today & make sure that none of your candy has been opened or Mann handled before eating!!!

I’m in the process of learning 20 new cover band songs in 22-days for my 1st gig with the new band “Blender”.....

The MT15 continues to impress me & perform very well. I can’t wait to use it live & play with this new band.

Here’s a taste of some new Drop-Db licks on my Yamaha THR10X & I will eventually share a version on the MT15 once I perfect it.
https://instagram.com/p/Bpk6419lWz2/

As always....More to follow....

Peace! X

Last edited:
Here’s a little Drop-Db & “Shine” by Collective Soul....\m/
This is a little promo I made for joining the new Detroit band called Blender.

Peace! X

Last edited:
Hey guys....Sorry that ive been M.I.A. Around here!!!!

I’ve been crazy busy & have some sad news about my journey w/ the MT15 amp.....:(

As much as I really like this amp.....I needed a back-up amp for my new gig.....& it’s now replaced the MT15 as my main amp for gigging! :eek:

X

Last edited:
I’d like you guys to ALL see what was to be my “Back-Up” amp....But is now my main gigging amp.

You can still see my 1st MT15 amp in the background here & it will be used if the new amp ever goes down or has an issue!

Meet.....My New MT15 Power House Gigging amp!!!
\m/:D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p:D:rolleyes: \m/
Photo%20Nov%2015%2C%206%2050%2059%20PM.jpg

Yes. I’m a jokester & truly LOVE the MT15 amp SO MUCH that I got a 2nd for a backup & to keep at my band practice location.

Sorry for my attempt at some humor....:rolleyes:

I’ve been playing with the new band, learning lots of new songs & the MT15 is just killing it!!! I’ve been tweaking presets on my Fractal FX8 & have some stellar live tones now!!!!

X

Last edited:
You Jokester you! :p Dude, stereo delays are your friend and you're now ready. Hey, two MT15s weigh less than most 50 watt amps. You're ready for stereo.
And then....

I see 5.1 channel surround in your future! :D

That guy really has a pair!

The MT15 is a beast of an amp for live playing. I just gigged mine again last weekend. The venue had a good PA for mains, the monitor situation was less than satisfactory, so I had my MT15/2x12 rig at a louder than ideal stage volume, which was about 10:30 on the lead MV. It was enough to give me feedback issues from across the stage, and our other guitarist couldn’t hear his 100 watt! The biggest mistake PRS made with this amp was letting on that it’s rated at 15 watts. They could’ve easily said 30-40 watts, no one would doubt it.

In yet another strange coincidence, we also cover “Shine.” I usually play that one with a Friedman Dirty Shirley pedal into the clean channel, for a slightly more vintage tone, but the lead channel could certainly do a nice rendition too.

That guy really has a pair!

The MT15 is a beast of an amp for live playing. I just gigged mine again last weekend. The venue had a good PA for mains, the monitor situation was less than satisfactory, so I had my MT15/2x12 rig at a louder than ideal stage volume, which was about 10:30 on the lead MV. It was enough to give me feedback issues from across the stage, and our other guitarist couldn’t hear his 100 watt! The biggest mistake PRS made with this amp was letting on that it’s rated at 15 watts. They could’ve easily said 30-40 watts, no one would doubt it.

In yet another strange coincidence, we also cover “Shine.” I usually play that one with a Friedman Dirty Shirley pedal into the clean channel, for a slightly more vintage tone, but the lead channel could certainly do a nice rendition too.
Thanks for this report and info Andy!!!

I’m no having a feedack issues & have set-up my FX8 presets at around 10 or 11 to make sure there won’t be an issue.

Where are you keeping your Gain knob at? Mine is at around 9....or Slinghtly higher. What Pickups do you use too? Have you had feedback issues before with other amps?

I do have a noise gate dialed-in from my Fractal FX8 though too.

I’ve been using my guitar volume rolled back on the Gain channel for “Shine” on the intro & verse parts......& that’s working well.

But.....I’m also getting some mid-Gain tones from drive pedals on the FX8 into the Blue Channel.

Side Note: I did an a/b side to side test of BOTH of the MT15’s I own....& they are exactly the same. No differences in any way. Tones are the same & there is not more or less of anything at all. I like this consistency, since my 2nd Head was either a “Demo” or a returned unit. I got it for $100 less, but still with a full warranty.
Photo%20Nov%2016%2C%204%2004%2028%20PM.jpg

They should have marketed the MT15 as a 30-watt amp, but even then people would have said “I still need more power”. If you need more stage volume that this little beast produces, you will most likely be deaf in a short amount of time....or are touring w/ Alter Bridge or something! :eek:

I’ve had 3-band practices with it & I’ve had to switch it to the 1/2 Power Mode due to the LOUD volume. I have our 1st full gig run-through today & then my 1st gig w/ “Blender” on Thanksgiving Eve.....
Photo%20Nov%2007%2C%201%2030%2039%20PM.jpg

I really like this group & the music they play. It’s mostly 90’s Rock & these guys all harmonize vocally very well. I can’t belive I just met these guys a little over 3-weeks ago too. While they gig about 2x a month, I’ve already spent some considerable cash on the 2nd head, new LED’s for my cabinet....& my new “Blender-X” hat!!!! :D
Photo%20Nov%2012%2C%201%2012%2029%20PM.jpg

I only know one way to do things....& I go BIG....or I don’t go at all! ;)

I will report back & hope to have some video, audio & pictures from this 1st gig to share to keep this thread going & going & going.......:rolleyes:

Peace! X

PS - I think that the only mistake with this amp is the taper on the lead Gain knob. I wish it had more room so that where the Gain is at when currently set at 9 O’Clock....It would need to be set at noon or 1....Just a more usable range over-all.

Last edited:
Thanks for this report and info Andy!!!

I’m no having a feedack issues & have set-up my FX8 presets at around 10 or 11 to make sure there won’t be an issue.

Where are you keeping your Gain knob at? Mine is at around 9....or Slinghtly higher. What Pickups do you use too? Have you had feedback issues before with other amps?

I do have a noise gate dialed-in from my Fractal FX8 though too.

I’ve been using my guitar volume rolled back on the Gain channel for “Shine” on the intro & verse parts......& that’s working well.

But.....I’m also getting some mid-Gain tones from drive pedals on the FX8 into the Blue Channel.

Side Note: I did an a/b side to side test of BOTH of the MT15’s I own....& they are exactly the same. No differences in any way. Tones are the same & there is not more or less of anything at all. I like this consistency, since my 2nd Head was either a “Demo” or a returned unit. I got it for $100 less, but still with a full warranty.
Photo%20Nov%2016%2C%204%2004%2028%20PM.jpg

They should have marketed the MT15 as a 30-watt amp, but even then people would have said “I still need more power”. If you need more stage volume that this little beast produces, you will most likely be deaf in a short amount of time....or are touring w/ Alter Bridge or something! :eek:

I’ve had 3-band practices with it & I’ve had to switch it to the 1/2 Power Mode due to the LOUD volume. I have our 1st full gig run-through today & then my 1st gig w/ “Blender” on Thanksgiving Eve.....
Photo%20Nov%2007%2C%201%2030%2039%20PM.jpg

I really like this group & the music they play. It’s mostly 90’s Rock & these guys all harmonize vocally very well. I can’t belive I just met these guys a little over 3-weeks ago too. While they gig about 2x a month, I’ve already spent some considerable cash on the 2nd head, new LED’s for my cabinet....& my new “Blender-X” hat!!!! :D
Photo%20Nov%2012%2C%201%2012%2029%20PM.jpg

I only know one way to do things....& I go BIG....or I don’t go at all! ;)

I will report back & hope to have some video, audio & pictures from this 1st gig to share to keep this thread going & going & going.......:rolleyes:

Peace! X

PS - I think that the only mistake with this amp is the taper on the lead Gain knob. I wish it had more room so that where the Gain is at when currently set at 9 O’Clock....It would need to be set at noon or 1....Just a more usable range over-all.

I usually have my gain around 11-12:00. Past that is where I find the gain ceiling on the amp is, I can turn the knob further but can’t discern more breakup (nor do I need more). As you said, the taper could be improved. My main guitar has a fairly hot set of pickups (Gravity Storm bridge, FRED neck), but I also use another with 57/08’s. Not getting pickup microphonics, just strings that will spontaneously vibrate and feed back if I don’t keep them muted, or turn the volume knob down. Pretty normal really, I don’t think it’s the result of the amp or guitar specifically, just the reality of playing with that much gain. The only reason I have an issue right now is that I had to pull my noise gate out of my rig. I have an MXR Noise Clamp, 4-cable type thing, was putting the gate part in the amp effects loop, but the sensing part being in front of the amp and the gate in the loop was causing some kind of ground loop that created almost as much noise as it eliminated. Going to try the TC Sentry next and see if it happens there as well.

Our show last weekend was with a band called “Elsie Binx,” they’re out of Detroit - you should check them out, and get a gig with them if possible, too. Very tight, and their vocalist is amazing! Very talented bunch. Sadly I had a pretty crappy gig with them, sick and completely worn out, but I enjoyed their set.

I usually have my gain around 11-12:00. Past that is where I find the gain ceiling on the amp is, I can turn the knob further but can’t discern more breakup (nor do I need more).

Our show last weekend was with a band called “Elsie Binx,” they’re out of Detroit - you should check them out, and get a gig with them if possible, too. Very tight, and their vocalist is amazing! Very talented bunch. Sadly I had a pretty crappy gig with them, sick and completely worn out, but I enjoyed their set.
Yea, at 9, I have more gain than I need! Lol

I’m in a 90’s Cover band that plays a lot of Weezer, STP, Collective Soul & one hit wonders.

You must be playing so Heavy stuff to be noon on the Gain channel. I probably have much less of an issue due to my gain setting.

While the MT’s FX loop does work for me....I did have to mess around with my “Post” noise gate to get a usable setting. I’m needed to set it much higher or so it wouldn’t turn on so fast....

I know the original bass player (Jason Q) from Elsie Binx & we both worked for the same (Tangerine Moon) production company.

Why was your gig crappy & where was it at? Was it just due to the feedback issue?

My new/1st gig is right around the corner & my MT15 will get its first night out on the town. I’ll be bringing the back-up amp Just in case too.

Thank you for all the great back & forth here Andy. If you’re located in Michigan, come out to “The Rusty Nail” bar in Clinton Twp on Thanksgiving Eve & I’ll buy ya a cold one.

X

Yea, at 9, I have more gain than I need! Lol

I’m in a 90’s Cover band that plays a lot of Weezer, STP, Collective Soul & one hit wonders.

You must be playing so Heavy stuff to be noon on the Gain channel. I probably have much less of an issue due to my gain setting.

While the MT’s FX loop does work for me....I did have to mess around with my “Post” noise gate to get a usable setting. I’m needed to set it much higher or so it wouldn’t turn on so fast....

I know the original bass player (Jason Q) from Elsie Binx & we both worked for the same (Tangerine Moon) production company.

Why was your gig crappy & where was it at? Was it just due to the feedback issue?

My new/1st gig is right around the corner & my MT15 will get its first night out on the town. I’ll be bringing the back-up amp Just in case too.

Thank you for all the great back & forth here Andy. If you’re located in Michigan, come out to “The Rusty Nail” bar in Clinton Twp on Thanksgiving Eve & I’ll buy ya a cold one.

X

We played at a place called Local 741, it’s a newer venue on the north side of GR. It was a fine gig, by all external factors - the PA was much better than I expected from the audience standpoint, just a little short on monitor coverage for the band, but the amp made up for it. Thus the feedback, but that was a very minor nuisance. The bigger thing was just me - combination of being sick, staying out in the cold hunting for several hours that morning, and the general fatigue of having a baby at home, I wasn’t on my A game, I was absolutely beat. A couple of miffed parts of solos, but no train wrecks or anything of the sort. Things that the band notices more than the audience. Lessons learned!

I’ve got family from out of town this week, but hopefully our paths will cross soon! Be sure to keep us updated on your show dates!

how do you deal with the hiss/static on the lead? its bad...I don't get that from my big Mesa Single Rec as I do from this little lunchbox... was told noise gate in the loop. but this is not your regular hum due to the circuitry in the house...this is static/hiss like you re listening to a radio on am frequency but not tuned in to the correct station. this is only mt-15 and cab plugged in and you turn up the lead volume and gain...no cables, guitar, pedals...noise gate will fix this?

how do you deal with the hiss/static on the lead? its bad...I don't get that from my big Mesa Single Rec as I do from this little lunchbox... was told noise gate in the loop. but this is not your regular hum due to the circuitry in the house...this is static/hiss like you re listening to a radio on am frequency but not tuned in to the correct station. this is only mt-15 and cab plugged in and you turn up the lead volume and gain...no cables, guitar, pedals...noise gate will fix this?
I don’t have this at all & my rig is pretty silent.

I have normal levels of amp noise like you would w/ any High Gain amp. Having said that....my rig has an Ebtech Hum-X on the power cord & I use a Fractal FX8. The Fractal has an input noise gate for your guitar Pickups & anything that amplifies up front....Plus I have a noise gate block after the FX loop.

There are many ways to chase noise out of a rig....& you need to experiment a bit.

My Gain knob is also only at a little over 9 O’Clock too....aka Results will very....

X

PS - I also use medium to slightly hot PAF style Pickups too.

Last edited:
wow...a little over 9 o'clock. I do see that now from your pics...I'm more like between 3 o'clock - 4o'clock. but I like to get the gain/overdrive out of the amp not pedals. Only use TC Trinity Reverb,TC Flashback Delay and Digitech Luxe. To me it's unbelievably loud static/hiss. I can't compare it anywhere because not of the stores have it in stock...mine was an online order.

wow...a little over 9 o'clock. I do see that now from your pics...I'm more like between 3 o'clock - 4o'clock. but I like to get the gain/overdrive out of the amp not pedals. Only use TC Trinity Reverb,TC Flashback Delay and Digitech Luxe. To me it's unbelievably loud static/hiss. I can't compare it anywhere because not of the stores have it in stock...mine was an online order.
I don’t get my High Gain from pedals & just use the Red Channel of the amp. I wish that noon on this amp prouduced the amount of Gain is get at the 9 O’Clock position.

I do use some pedals for the mid & light Gain stuff.

Having your Gain set that High (3 or 4) on this amp is most likely going to creat havoc for your rig & that’s your main issue here.

The Gain Sweep of the Red Channel & the amount of usable Gain is set very high. There’s no note clarity at anything past noon on this amp for me.

I wish you luck man...

X

PS - I just looked at the Mark Tremonti Demo & was surprised that he did have the Gain past 1 O’Clock......So Maybe it is doable. He didn’t have any hiss either.....Hm...His presence knob was also under noon & lower than I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: SJP
I get where you re coming from. Playing live then yes the gain at 9-10 o clock can be sufficient. Playing live with my mesa single rec Im at noon and thats plenty but i bought the mt-15 for now as a practice amp in my house. Playing at a low volume and having the gain that low at 9-10 o clock then your getting light gain not high gain out of the amp. At home in a quiter environment the lead volume at 7 o clock and gain at noon the hiss/static is loud. Lead vol about 8 o clock and gain at 1-2 o clock the hiss is bad. My presence is at 9-10 o clock. I love Mark Tremonti and gear he uses. I started off with the mesa single rec and mesa 4×12 rec cab from way back when he started and i still love it today. I have a 2018 Charcoal Prs Tremonti signature single cut which is great. If you want to spend around 3.5 to 4 grand for a quality guitar than prs not gibson my opinion. But im not lovin the mt-15 right now. Just like the tremonti part of the amp. I will look into getting that ebtech hum x and/or noise gate.

I get where you re coming from. Playing live then yes the gain at 9-10 o clock can be sufficient. Playing live with my mesa single rec Im at noon and thats plenty but i bought the mt-15 for now as a practice amp in my house. Playing at a low volume and having the gain that low at 9-10 o clock then your getting light gain not high gain out of the amp. At home in a quiter environment the lead volume at 7 o clock and gain at noon the hiss/static is loud. Lead vol about 8 o clock and gain at 1-2 o clock the hiss is bad. My presence is at 9-10 o clock. I love Mark Tremonti and gear he uses. I started off with the mesa single rec and mesa 4×12 rec cab from way back when he started and i still love it today. I have a 2018 Charcoal Prs Tremonti signature single cut which is great. If you want to spend around 3.5 to 4 grand for a quality guitar than prs not gibson my opinion. But im not lovin the mt-15 right now. Just like the tremonti part of the amp. I will look into getting that ebtech hum x and/or noise gate.
I hear exactly what you’re saying now & we are both using this amp in totally different ways. Mine is used & set-up for Loud Live use. My Master on the Red Channel in 15-watt Mode is at 11 O’Clock.....& it’s being pushed hard. So...The noise floor at this level feels reasonable to me. I’m also getting High Gain even w/ the 9:30 settting on the Gain knob.

I use a Yamaha THR10X for lower volume practicing & don’t feel that the MT15 is a good option for this. That’s not to say that you can’t do it, it just doesn’t sound that good at low volume to me...& even in 1/2 Power Mode, it’s way too loud.

This amp is a little different & kinda weird in how it’s marketed in my eyes. 15-Watts sounds like not that much.....but this amp competes w/ my 50-Watt amps. I play in mainly 90’s Rock Cover band & the amps distortion is a little more than I need at times....I’m not a Metal Guy.....So my use for this amp & environment has a lot to do with my comments. My video clips show exactly what I’m doing with it & the tones I’m getting.

I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with your amp at all, but there could be. This High Gain amp has a noise floor that’s very noticeable at low/practice volumes....

Good luck in solving your practice volume hiss issue.....

Peace! X

Last edited:
Back