X’s New MT 15 Amp Day Video & 1st Thoughts!

Regarding bedroom volumes
My tech said he could change that taper pretty easily as well as look st grounding to control hum
Might be worth kooks big into

As promised, here are the pics...

IMG-0469.jpg

IMG-0470.jpg

I also find that a lot of the perceived noise also goes away in a band setting. For me, I think it has to do with that red channel volume taper. I turn it up to not even 9:00 at home, and it’s got some hiss. What I have to remind myself, is that’s like noon on my other amps, the signal to noise ratio is huge and in that context, the hiss really isn’t that bad. For example, when I record mine, the mics don’t even pick the noise up noticeably, because they’re set for such a loud signal.

That is one critique I have of the amp, the lead channel master is extremely finicky at low volumes. A lot of guys are asking if this is a “bedroom” amp, and the answer is a resounding “NO.” When it’s past bedtime at our house, I have to cut the volume using a pedal in my effects loop, which I think changed how the signal is hitting the PI and power tubes, and loses some feel and tonal fatness. I would like to see a volume pot with “at home” levels up to 9:00, and hitting full volume at 3:00 or so. Then again, honestly, these days I think “bedroom” playing is best served by a small Boss Katana or Yamaha THR, something that’s actually intended to perform at those quiet levels.

I've got a 5751 that I am going to drop in mine one of these days to see if it mellows out that taper at all.

Yeah, and I still haven't pulled my NOS 5751 out of the Mark V25 to try in the Archon. My wife sometimes calls me a procrastinator. I'll have to think about that and get back to her later.

My wife hates when I do that joke. I just tell her I’ll stop eventually.

I dialed in the FX & 3-Scenes for the Cover of “She Sells Sanctuary” by The Cult on my Fractal FX8. I walk thru each Scene & what changes or where it’s used.

Scene-1 is on the Blue Channel w/ a Virtual TS808 pedal, Phaser, Delay & Reverb.

Scene-2 is the RED Channel with Phaser, Delay, Reverb & a 2db Filter Boost.

Scene-3 is a tighter version of Scene-2 w/ no Delay for the power chords.

“She Sells Sanctuary” by The Cult

Noise, HUM & Stuff.....

I have the amp VERY LOUD in this video & you can hear a level of amp/white noise when I’m not playing. I think it’s very minimal when you hear how quiet it is in relation to how loud I actually have the amp set at. When I go from talking to playing, you really get a sense of this & for me, it’s a non-issue.

I’m still blown away by both channels of the amp, but the RED Channel is just stellar to me on all levels.

I have plenty of volume left & have no doubts that I’m going to play this out & around town.

Peace! X

PS - I still plan on making a better/more comprehensive MT 15 video when Mrs-X goes away this next week for a work trip. She HATES when I play this loud & dosen’t allow it actually. I’ve been makin all these little videos before she gets home from work.....so far!!! :D

PRS - There are some clams & tempo issues in all of these videos, but my goal is to show the tones I’m getting and nothing more here. Even the iPhone camera audio gives you a sense of what it sound like in the room. It sounds way bigger, badder & better in the Room too!!!! \m/

Last edited:
In my quest to dial in & capture the tones I’m getting with my new MT 15 amp head, I’m learning about amp mic’ing. I’m using an SM57 mic, into my Arturia interface into my Presonus DAW.

I want to capture a mono signal of my effected amp tone & get it to match what I’m hearing in the room.
Photo%20Oct%2013%2C%204%2024%2030%20PM.jpg

I know some general mic techniques & moved the mic around the cone/in/out & came close to getting what I want......
Photo%20Oct%2013%2C%204%2021%2029%20PM.jpg

Even with the mic on center of speaker, there seemed to be a lot of bass, or more than I felt was in the room. At one point I started re-dialing in th amp to get it closer on recording to what I wanted.

I got some good results & was going to use what I had, but then I realized something about this Friedman HBE 4x12 cabinet. The location of the (2) V30 speakers are actually on the BOTTOM & NOT on the top! :(

The TOP 2-speakers are Celestion Greenbacks & a softer, more round vintage speaker from what I’ve read.....& now experienced.

I’m a V30 guy & love the bite & directness in a Rock band tone. I ran out of time & will continue on with what I’ve learned & try this again, but mic’ing the V30 this time.

Does anyone have experience capturing the direct tone of their amp to match what they hear in the room?

Is this just s trial and error thing, or is there a trick like a low pass filter in the DAW after?

What do the Pros do? What does a Sound Guy do at a gig? I’ve never asked mine, but I do know that they do EQ my channel a little bit. Is that cheating?

I’d like to capture the great tones I’m hearing without doing too much post processing, if any at all.
Photo%20Oct%2013%2C%204%2020%2044%20PM%20%281%29.jpg

Thanks, X

PS - The main thing here is that I’m just having a blast & still blown-away by this killer amp.

In my quest to dial in & capture the tones I’m getting with my new MT 15 amp head, I’m learning about amp mic’ing. I’m using an SM57 mic, into my Arturia interface into my Presonus DAW.

I want to capture a mono signal of my effected amp tone & get it to match what I’m hearing in the room.
I know some general mic techniques & moved the mic around the cone/in/out & came close to getting what I want......

Even with the mic on center of speaker, there seemed to be a lot of bass, or more than I felt was in the room. At one point I started re-dialing in th amp to get it closer on recording to what I wanted.

I got some good results & was going to use what I had, but then I realized something about this Friedman HBE 4x12 cabinet. The location of the (2) V30 speakers are actually on the BOTTOM & NOT on the top! :(

The TOP 2-speakers are Celestion Greenbacks & a softer, more round vintage speaker from what I’ve read.....& now experienced.

I’m a V30 guy & love the bite & directness in a Rock band tone. I ran out of time & will continue on with what I’ve learned & try this again, but mic’ing the V30 this time.

Does anyone have experience capturing the direct tone of their amp to match what they hear in the room?

Is this just s trial and error thing, or is there a trick like a low pass filter in the DAW after?

What do the Pros do? What does a Sound Guy do at a gig? I’ve never asked mine, but I do know that they do EQ my channel a little bit. Is that cheating?

I’d like to capture the great tones I’m hearing without doing too much post processing, if any at all.

Thanks, X

PS - The main thing here is that I’m just having a blast & still blown-away by this killer amp.

Hey man,

First of all I'd back the mic off the cabinet - you'll get a lot of proximity effect, which means "added bass" when you put it that close.

Do you have any other mics you could use - maybe a condenser mic? If so, I'd try to start out putting it around where your ear is when you're playing (ie. your "in the room" reference sound"). Also note how the sound changes when you move around the room (just playing, not with the mic). FInd a good starting point. See if that gets you closer.

Hey man,

First of all I'd back the mic off the cabinet - you'll get a lot of proximity effect, which means "added bass" when you put it that close.

Do you have any other mics you could use - maybe a condenser mic? If so, I'd try to start out putting it around where your ear is when you're playing (ie. your "in the room" reference sound"). Also note how the sound changes when you move around the room (just playing, not with the mic). FInd a good starting point. See if that gets you closer.
This was very helpful & the response I was looking for (I hope).

Backing the mic off the cabinet was something I thought would add more bass, but I have to admit that I didn’t try that yet.

I’m going to try this out w/ a fresh set of ears Monday night when I get home from work.

I do notice when I walk around the room or stand directly in-line w/ the cabinet (like a mic) how different it can sound. This is also a great mic’ing” analogy.

Thanks for all of this & I will report back...

X

This was very helpful & the response I was looking for (I hope).

Backing the mic off the cabinet was something I thought would add more bass, but I have to admit that I didn’t try that yet.

I’m going to try this out w/ a fresh set of ears Monday night when I get home from work.

I do notice when I walk around the room or stand directly in-line w/ the cabinet (like a mic) how different it can sound. This is also a great mic’ing” analogy.

Thanks for all of this & I will report back...

X
Yeah, try backing the '57 off just 3-4 inches - I think you should hear a drastic difference in bass :)

Back