X’s New MT 15 Amp Day Video & 1st Thoughts!

Here we go!

Getting into recording has been one of my favorite things about playing in the last few years - it has made me a much better player, more on that later.

You can’t go wrong starting with a 57 to start. That being said, one thing I’ve enjoyed is using a second mic to contrast with the 57. I’ve got a Sennheiser e906, which is an entirely different flavor from the 57, more "body," less of the upper mid, but also less present on top. That one is interesting, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity, especially for recording heavy rock tones. If you want to stay closer to the 57, I highly recommend the Heil PR20. It's very much like a 57 tonally, but just a touch less upper end harshness. Or, you can also just use another 57 positioned differently on the cone.

Regarding getting the same tone you hear in the room - tread with caution. The difficulty I've found is that a mic just doesn't capture sound the same way our ears do. Mics have frequency responses that color sound, (57's do for sure) and if you're using a dynamic, wherever the mic is positioned on the cone, it's not capturing the full frequency spectrum that the ears hear once the sound can spread out and blend together in the room. To help, you can use a room mic, but that's not "the tone" when it comes to heavy rock.

Like Michael said, definitely try pulling the mic back from the grill, I like 1.5-3" because it cuts out some bass. But also, I'm sure unintentionally, but your cab is in the worst possible place for enhancing bass. The more flat surfaces your source is near, the more bass reflection you'll get, and when you start compounding surface - floor, then floor + wall, then floor + wall/wall corner, each step multiplies bass response. Move your cab further into the middle of the room, and if your V30's are on the bottom of the cab, change them to an X pattern, or lay the cab on its side, to get the one you'll record further from the floor. If you're like me, getting away from walls can be a pain if your studio space isn't huge! But it definitely does help. Closed cabs I've found to be a little less prone to the bass compounding, but I think the Friedman cabs are ported out the back, which is probably shooting a ton of bass right into your walls. Les knows a lot more about this subject than I do, I'm just condensing what I've gathered from him.

Having recording capability is great for your playing. When my band gets ready for the studio, I put together our demos to work out the songs - we just use a little Scarlett interface, which is enough to mic amps, bass, vocals, and an electronic drum kit (tracking separately of course). That way I can record multiple takes over the demo to see how my parts are coming out. You'll be amazed how much more you can hear listening back to a recorded take, vs just trying to assess your playing "in the moment." I find a lot of slop in my playing, but by the time I go to the recording session, I can lay down my parts in just a couple takes - the recording engineer loves it!

Here we go!

Getting into recording has been one of my favorite things about playing in the last few years - it has made me a much better player, more on that later.

You can’t go wrong starting with a 57 to start. That being said, one thing I’ve enjoyed is using a second mic to contrast with the 57. I’ve got a Sennheiser e906, which is an entirely different flavor from the 57, more "body," less of the upper mid, but also less present on top. That one is interesting, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity, especially for recording heavy rock tones. If you want to stay closer to the 57, I highly recommend the Heil PR20. It's very much like a 57 tonally, but just a touch less upper end harshness. Or, you can also just use another 57 positioned differently on the cone.

Regarding getting the same tone you hear in the room - tread with caution. The difficulty I've found is that a mic just doesn't capture sound the same way our ears do. Mics have frequency responses that color sound, (57's do for sure) and if you're using a dynamic, wherever the mic is positioned on the cone, it's not capturing the full frequency spectrum that the ears hear once the sound can spread out and blend together in the room. To help, you can use a room mic, but that's not "the tone" when it comes to heavy rock.

Like Michael said, definitely try pulling the mic back from the grill, I like 1.5-3" because it cuts out some bass. But also, I'm sure unintentionally, but your cab is in the worst possible place for enhancing bass. The more flat surfaces your source is near, the more bass reflection you'll get, and when you start compounding surface - floor, then floor + wall, then floor + wall/wall corner, each step multiplies bass response. Move your cab further into the middle of the room, and if your V30's are on the bottom of the cab, change them to an X pattern, or lay the cab on its side, to get the one you'll record further from the floor. If you're like me, getting away from walls can be a pain if your studio space isn't huge! But it definitely does help. Closed cabs I've found to be a little less prone to the bass compounding, but I think the Friedman cabs are ported out the back, which is probably shooting a ton of bass right into your walls. Les knows a lot more about this subject than I do, I'm just condensing what I've gathered from him.

Having recording capability is great for your playing. When my band gets ready for the studio, I put together our demos to work out the songs - we just use a little Scarlett interface, which is enough to mic amps, bass, vocals, and an electronic drum kit (tracking separately of course). That way I can record multiple takes over the demo to see how my parts are coming out. You'll be amazed how much more you can hear listening back to a recorded take, vs just trying to assess your playing "in the moment." I find a lot of slop in my playing, but by the time I go to the recording session, I can lay down my parts in just a couple takes - the recording engineer loves it!
1st off....WOW!!!!!

2nd, “Thank you” for all of this information & due to
My ADD, I’ll be reading it many times over (& over again).

I’m not new to recording so to speak, I’m new to recording with “Real Tube Amps”. In today’s digital world, I record 110% w/ amp modeling. I discovered the PRS Archon amp Thru the Waves “PRS Supermodles” plug-in too. I too find recording & listening back (after) to myself has fixed a lot of bad habits that I didn’t even realize were there. My fretboard knowledge has grown SO much too.

I did a little research today after these responses & before yours & I see many things I can now do to get closer to where I want to be. You’ve made some great points here & I’m truly greatful that you took the time to respond like this.

I’m in a very small room with the Cabinet up against the wall, but I am adjacent to a bigger room that I could put my cabinet in & record (when my wife leaves on work trip tomorrow)! :D

I will try to use this great info to my advantage & try some of this out & report back. I actually like the tones I was getting, but know I can do much better.....& I will now.

Since this is my Thread & it’s gone all over the place......I’ll share with you my 2nd iTunes release called “Seeds of Karma”. This is all Fractal Audio AX8 tones & I did this in my basement Studio (aka Bedroom). The video was shot at my condo & the strobe light/seizure part is in front of my home theater system on a YouTube strobe light video. I almost had a seizure recording it and had a hard time playing with it on......

Check out “Seeds of Karma” by X-Mann (Yea, I went 3rd person on ya) :eek:

I’m very proud of it & it took me a bit to get it right.....While still an amature, it’s just nice to get my thoughts & style out in the world.

I also agree & writing & recording myself over the past 8-years has totally changed my playing for the better. It’s on the Top of my list of things I wish I would have known years ago. Lol My list is short, but very powerful in my development as a musician, guitarist & shredder....\m/

Peace! X

Last edited:
Maybe this was already shared here, but I found it very interesting & cool!

Mark Tremonti & PRS FTW!!! :cool:

This is Mark Tremonti talking about the studio recording process & the tones for Alter Bridges “The Last Hero” album....

Photo%20Oct%2014%2C%203%2006%2021%20PM.jpg

The BLUE Channel:

Photo%20Oct%2014%2C%203%2006%2043%20PM.jpg

The RED Channel:
Photo%20Oct%2014%2C%203%2008%2000%20PM.jpg

Just some cool info from your friendly neighborhood X-Mann!!!! :p

Peace! X

Half Power Mode:

I’ve been dialing in some new presets for cover band songs & using the 1/2 power mode.

Here’s a quick sample of “Gel” by Collective Soul in 1/2 Power Mode. It’s still pretty loud, but much more bearable for the most part. ;)

I am using a RC Booster with the Gain almost maxed on the Blue Channel, then it’s straight into the RED Danger Zone!!!! :mad:

I do prefer the FULL power mode tone wise & it does feel different to me in the lower setting. That could be just do to the less volume thing, but I feel it’s a tone thing too. I’ll explore a bit more & try to get different tones front this little black box in both power modes.

Are we all still in LOVE w/ our MT15’s?

I have a new band audition this Sunday & am playing about 15-tunes w/ the MT15......& Gel is one of them.

Wish me luck!!!!

Peace! X

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the half power mode is a "Pentode/Triode" switch, like it is on the 50 watter. This absolutely does make a difference in feel and tone, more than volume. Triode mode is softer, smoother, less punchy. Very useful feature that I love on the 50 watt version. Use the 25 watt mode for bluesy stuff on the gain channel or if I want to smooth out the clean channel a little. I don't use it for simply lowering volume because it's still loud.

If I'm not mistaken, the half power mode is a "Pentode/Triode" switch, like it is on the 50 watter. This absolutely does make a difference in feel and tone, more than volume. Triode mode is softer, smoother, less punchy. Very useful feature that I love on the 50 watt version. Use the 25 watt mode for bluesy stuff on the gain channel or if I want to smooth out the clean channel a little. I don't use it for simply lowering volume because it's still loud.
That would make sense based on what I’m hearing & really feeling over all. Again, it’s not a bad sound.....just not what I’m going for or LOVE about the Red Channel.

I think it’s safe to say that I don’t Gel with the 1//2 Power Mode as much as the Full one! :rolleyes:

X

Have yet to be lucky enough to sit down with an MT15 so far. So you guys that have and play Archons, and have or play the MT15 are they similar feel and sound wise? I ask because I've just never gelled with any of the Archons I've played (100watt head, various lower wattage combos).

Now keep in mind, I've also not been able to crank any of them either. Trying to figure out if I'm just gonna take a chance on one, or keep saving for the Kemper.

Have yet to be lucky enough to sit down with an MT15 so far. So you guys that have and play Archons, and have or play the MT15 are they similar feel and sound wise? I ask because I've just never gelled with any of the Archons I've played (100watt head, various lower wattage combos).

Now keep in mind, I've also not been able to crank any of them either. Trying to figure out if I'm just gonna take a chance on one, or keep saving for the Kemper.
The MT15 is based off of the Archon platform, but a slightly different amp. I’d say that if you didn’t like the Archon tone, you most likely won’t like the MT15.

I played a Waves PRS Supermodels plug-in & loved the Archon sim SO much that I bought the MT15. I own a Friedman amp & the Fractal AX8 & get my favorite tones out of the MT.

There’s a small chance that the lower wattage will give you more power amp distortion, but you’ll still be at crazy LOUD levels to make that happen.

There are plenty of other amps & the Kemper may be a perfect fit for you.

You may want to ask in the main MT15 thread too....

Good luck!

X

Last edited:
That would make sense based on what I’m hearing & really feeling over all. Again, it’s not a bad sound.....just not what I’m going for or LOVE about the Red Channel.

I think it’s safe to say that I don’t Gel with the 1//2 Power Mode as much as the Full one! :rolleyes:

X
I get that, but it is a cool thing to have. The problem seems to be most times there is a Pentode/Triode switch, many people think it will sound the same but with less power, saturate earlier etc., and that's not what it really does. It makes the amp softer, smoother, reduces punch and usually the top and bottom end. So, think of it not as a half power version of full power section. Think of it as a blues, or smooth OD for rock setting. Viewed that way, it's a nice additional set of tones available from the amp that can be usable.

Heck, I was messing around a few weeks ago and I tracked a little hard rock rhythm part on the 50 watt setting, then was playing solos over it with the 25. The smoother, less punchy tone worked great for solos.

Dude, you're having a little too much fun with the camera...

I totally approve! LOL
Everything I do is just for the fun of it these days!!!!! ;)

I waited a long time to get my MT15 & it was well worth the wait. I think I’ve documented all the ups & downs (there were no downs) on my MT journey. I love this amp & will most likely own another at some point....

I can now let this thread die & honerable death & just fade away into the mist.....

Thank you all for the help with all my questions and concerns too.....I really do appreciate it!!!!!

This amp is a special one in my eyes.....& will work for lots of people. ;)

Peace! X :cool:

Last edited:
I can now let this thread die & honerable death & just fade away into the mist.....
Nonsense! This is a great thread, full of tone discovery, tone discussion, clips, and more! In fact, if it had pics of Julie Bowen, it would have EVERYTHING a perfect thread needs!

Long live Xmann’s MT-15 thread!

Dilly dilly!!

So you like the MT better than the TC-50? I haven't been able to play a TC yet but want to bad! Sounds pretty versatile and still able to get a great metal tone . I just sold a multiwatt dual rec and miss it! Love my MT though

So you like the MT better than the TC-50? I haven't been able to play a TC yet but want to bad! Sounds pretty versatile and still able to get a great metal tone . I just sold a multiwatt dual rec and miss it! Love my MT though
The TC50 is a killer 3-channel amp & played one for a year straight. I sold it before getting the MT15 & it had nothing to do with the tones in it.

I love many amps & also own a Friedman Runt 50 Head. The Runt 50 is crazy loud & sounds best turned-up.....It’s not a real High Gain amp....& it’s a very clear/clear/crisp & detailed amp.

The MT15 has way more gain & a shockingly good clean channel. The amps lower wattage & 6L6 tubes produce a great dirty tone! I can’t even believe that it competes w/ a $1900 amp at all either.

My Runt’s not going anywhere yet.....

I’ll know more after this Sunday’s band practice.....

X

Check out “Seeds of Karma” by X-Mann (Yea, I went 3rd person on ya) :eek:

I’m very proud of it & it took me a bit to get it right.....While still an amature, it’s just nice to get my thoughts & style out in the world.

I also agree & writing & recording myself over the past 8-years has totally changed my playing for the better. It’s on the Top of my list of things I wish I would have known years ago. Lol My list is short, but very powerful in my development as a musician, guitarist & shredder....\m/

Peace! X

Really dig! This is the type of stuff I could listen to all day long!

Really dig! This is the type of stuff I could listen to all day long!
Very cool of you to say & thx!!!

The writing & playing part is a lot easier than the recording part (for me)...but I’m always trying to get better!!!

X

PS - PM your e-mail address & I’ll send you the 2-tracks I have on iTunes bro!!!!

Last edited:
Back