Wrong Hang Tag

Gyro

I was given the wrong hang tag for my Custom 24 I purchased at Guitar Center. I think they did this purposely because I had returned a Les Paul Standard after running the product number through the internet and discovering that I over paid for it by $600 dollars. The ad was from Guitar Center! Hey if I don't have the model number and letters I can't research alternative prices. I want to know if this will effect my re-sale value or PRS Warranty? They also gave me a tag showing the wrong pickups. I think they are 58/09's but the tag says 57/08's. I think the 58/09 would be the correct pickup for a 2012 Custom 24. They told me the hang tag was very important! Anyone have any thoughts on these issues?

Thanks,
Gyro

I agree. Probably wrong case. If they can't find the real case, there should be a MODCAT code written under one of the pickups (or so I have been told) and you can use that to match it against the correct case (which will have that same code on the bar code sticker on the case). The MODCAT will also tell you what pickups you have. There is a chart in here somewhere which can be used to interpret the MODCAT.

While I wouldn't comment on intent I certainly can see a situation in which someone gets the wrong case. Hangtags seem a bit less likely to be swapped.

I can see cases getting mixed up in a place like that. Unless you got some sort of a limited edition or special run, I cannot see the wrong hangtag affecting the value of the guitar. Tons of guitars are sold without the hangtags, so this one won't be any different. I don't see how it would affect the warrantee, either, as long as you got a warrantee card in the case you got.

It sounds like this has been a less-than-ideal deal for you. Are you prepared to go back in a deal with the hassle of getting the case swapped out...if they can find the correct one?

I was given the wrong hang tag for my Custom 24 I purchased at Guitar Center. I think they did this purposely because I had returned a Les Paul Standard after running the product number through the internet and discovering that I over paid for it by $600 dollars. The ad was from Guitar Center! Hey if I don't have the model number and letters I can't research alternative prices. I want to know if this will effect my re-sale value or PRS Warranty? They also gave me a tag showing the wrong pickups. I think they are 58/09's but the tag says 57/08's. I think the 58/09 would be the correct pickup for a 2012 Custom 24. They told me the hang tag was very important! Anyone have any thoughts on these issues?

Thanks,
Gyro

One would expect 59/09s with a '12 CU24, not 58/09s (they don't exist). To see if you have the right hangtag, all you have to do is look at the serial number on the tag and see if it matches the one on the back of the headstock.

The hangtag doesn't affect your warranty, or the guitar's value. It's not important. The sales receipt showing that you are the original owner is the thing that counts, and you should hang onto that, and/or scan it (in case you lose the original).

Sometimes errors are made on tags, etc., at the factory. For example, the certificate that came with my Private Stock acoustic shows the wrong tuners. Big deal. I couldn't care less. These things happen.

Last edited:
They probably just grabbed whatever case from the back without looking and it's the wrong one, What do they care. Half the time they'll sell you a PRS then say oh the hard shell case wasnt included at that price, even though I think PRS forbids it. This sort of case mixup paperwork loss seems to happen a LOT with Fender and gibson COAs there too- sometimes you buy just a tweed case alone and find someone's Authenticity cert in there.

Maybe they haven't given away the case and 'candy' that goes to your guitar yet, wouldn't hurt to stop by and ask the manager about it.
If you're in love with the guitar the hang tag doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, but it comes with a new guitar, so I'd personally expect the right hang tag, or some money off. It's like an open box buy, if you don't get the instruction manual, who cares as long as it's discounted appropriately.

Back