Wow: That McCarty SC Prototype... any chance it'll be in production next year?

tonaholic

So, aside from the headstock and private stock goodies, would a production version of this be different from the current SC245? Just curious.

So, aside from the headstock and private stock goodies, would a production version of this be different from the current SC245? Just curious.

Haha, beaten to it !!!

Aside from the cosmetics...the spec is exactly the same as the Stripped 58 I just bought?

669OzCk.jpg

CR Explains the guitar for the first minute or so : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww4N5mkYUZY
Here's a great explanation of how it's different:
-Thicker
-Special pickups ("58/08" but "custom" for this guitar, whatever that means)
-Aesthetics: Darker natural binding on body to evoke a "classic" look, maple binding on the neck, white bone-nut
-Bone Nut

Honestly, I prefer the look of the regular PRS headstock but would love for a McCarty thickness and moniker to return to the SC model... and a "proper" scale length...

How about it PRS and crew, if you're reading? "PRS McCarty SC247" OR "PRS McCarty SC275"because 2475 is just a gaudy name but the guitar would be 24.75 :)

i think 247 is a fun name because: you would play that damn guitar 24/7!

Last edited:
How thick is this one? Mine is 8.5lbs.

Weight can very quite a bit, you can't judge thickness by weight. My DGT is 7.3lbs and others are in the 8.6 range. That's over a pound on the same cut by a CNC machine. Happens all the time.

Anyway, it's thicker but by how much? I have no idea. There's no literature.

Top of my list of wanted guitars right now! Won't be in production though.

I'm slightly new around here: are you an insider or have information on this? I would assume anything that's called a "prototype" is a candidate for production? Have they decided?

personally I would like it better if it was more of a McCarty with just 2 knobs and 25" scale. Kind of like a SC McCarty 58 would be something I would go for! 2 piece bridge is fine over wrap around.

Aside from a few small spec changes, I really don't see enough of a difference between this and the current SC245 to warrant a production run. I'm sure the thicker body, bone nut pickups make a difference but could most really hear that? If anything, maybe they'd update some of the spec on the current SC245 to match it next year.

Last edited:
I'm slightly new around here: are you an insider or have information on this? I would assume anything that's called a "prototype" is a candidate for production? Have they decided?

It's in production but as a limited run. They are making small batches of these guitars at a time. The first original batch are the 'prototypes'. How long they'll make them for or how many I don't know.

If the went for a full production run of these then there would be changes to bring the price down. At the moment these guitars are somewhere between Private Stock and core... The missing link so to speak. There'll be Santana ones and others according to guitarist Mag in the UK.

So.. A full production run with the specs as they are now? Probably not. Beyond that I have no idea.

Definitely not an insider but I've read a few things on that McCarty. PRSh thinks he's cracked it regarding Singhlecut designs with this guitar (According to a well respected music store here in the UK) and I know artists like Bernie Marsden are raving about it.

Right now it's the only Singlecut I want!

Kidney for sale... PM me!

I dunno whether they've cracked it or not but it's way too similar to the stripped 58 I just got to warrant the difference at the moment. Right now I would still pick mine over that given the choice, I'm not a fan of that headstock either. I'm sure it's good, great even but not 4x the costs really. If it does make it into production though, what would happen to the SC245 I wonder.

If it's 24.75, with the nitro finish it is basically a les Paul but with PRS build quality.

I want one. Though I prefer v12.

Back