Wow! A PRS Silver Sky w/ Sweet 16 Combo. It's on another planet.

Jamie Paterson

I posted a few days ago for the first time on this forum about the Sweet 16 Combo and whether or not to purchase it. A few people encouraged me that it was a good deal and I should go for it.

I've always appreciated Paul's interviews and the intense level of commitment he has towards consistency across all instruments. I've been a fender guy for about 10 years. I found one MIM Fender that seemed to have something magical about it but this felt so much better right out of the box.

Thought I'd breakdown the price I got for both amp and guitar. I got them second hand but in mint condition having only maybe 3 hours of play time between both the amp and guitar prior to my purchase.

PRS Silver Sky Orion Green - $2,100 Canadian Dollars
PRS Sweet 16 Combo - $650 Canadian Dollars

Total: $2,750

Once the bank account recovers a bit, I may look into what I want to do in terms of pedals.

Here is a picture of the current set up.

...yes that is SRV watching over my conversion to PRS.

I seem to be having issues posting the picture, will work on this.

Last edited:
Rop72sC.jpg

Lookin good!

Congrats, nice combo there! My combo only came with a drink, so I must have done something wrong :D

I posted a few days ago for the first time on this forum about the Sweet 16 Combo and whether or not to purchase it. A few people encouraged me that it was a good deal and I should go for it.

I've always appreciated Paul's interviews and the intense level of commitment he has towards consistency across all instruments. I've been a fender guy for about 10 years. I found one MIM Fender that seemed to have something magical about it but this felt so much better right out of the box.

Thought I'd breakdown the price I got for both amp and guitar. I got them second hand but in mint condition having only maybe 3 hours of play time between both the amp and guitar prior to my purchase.

PRS Silver Sky Orion Green - $2,100 Canadian Dollars
PRS Sweet 16 Combo - $650 Canadian Dollars

Total: $2,750

Once the bank account recovers a bit, I may look into what I want to do in terms of pedals.

Here is a picture of the current set up.

...yes that is SRV watching over my conversion to PRS.

I seem to be having issues posting the picture, will work on this.

Hmm... I knew there was something I liked about you.

51613805470_2fbdb8a46c_b.jpg

There's definitely something special about the combination of the SS and the Sweet 16. Which makes sense, considering what they're designed around.

So far, my favorite pedal has been a Wampler Pantheon, just because the amp has a fairly strong character already, and the Pantheon just sits on top of that without adding too much new in the EQ. Of course, the Pantheon is just one of several versions of that circuit, I would expect others like it to do the same. Also saw you saying you're not a huge fan of the reverb. The PRS amps reverb sound is kind of different from Fender. It's more of an "aura" than a springy, in your face sound. Personally, I love it, but it's also not what you want if you're after a more classic Fender sound in your reverb.

Currently going back and forth between a V-Type and V30 with mine. V-Type has a little more low mid, and sits a little better with single coils, the V30 works better with humbuckers. The amp really lets a lot of the guitar through, in a good way.

Hmm... I knew there was something I liked about you.

51613805470_2fbdb8a46c_b.jpg

There's definitely something special about the combination of the SS and the Sweet 16. Which makes sense, considering what they're designed around.

So far, my favorite pedal has been a Wampler Pantheon, just because the amp has a fairly strong character already, and the Pantheon just sits on top of that without adding too much new in the EQ. Of course, the Pantheon is just one of several versions of that circuit, I would expect others like it to do the same. Also saw you saying you're not a huge fan of the reverb. The PRS amps reverb sound is kind of different from Fender. It's more of an "aura" than a springy, in your face sound. Personally, I love it, but it's also not what you want if you're after a more classic Fender sound in your reverb.

Currently going back and forth between a V-Type and V30 with mine. V-Type has a little more low mid, and sits a little better with single coils, the V30 works better with humbuckers. The amp really lets a lot of the guitar through, in a good way.

Love that you have the SRV picture as well. A real slight alternative to my set up haha.

I have the V30 currently but interesting to know about the V-Type. Yea honestly since I made the post the reverb has grown on me more.

I just picked up a Electro-Harmonix Soul Food that I would like to try with the amp. I think that might be interesting. Keeping to that deal searching and got one for $50.

Back