Wound Third?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bbjonz, Feb 1, 2018.

1. bbjonz

bbjonz New Member

Hi Guys,

To make a long story short, I switched back to Dadarrio EXL110s after using EB Power Slinkies (.011). My one complaint with the 110s is the G string, so I gave the set with the wound third a whirl. I really like it, though it makes bending a tad more of a challenge. Overall, I like the sound and feel better. Anyone else try a wound third?

Joe

2. walrus

walrus New Member

I've used D'Addario 110W's for years on multiple guitars - love them! They are particularly nice on my Hollowbody spruce. Regarding bending, for the 110's the unwound G is .17 and the wound is .18, so it's a minimal difference.

3. bbjonz

bbjonz New Member

Seems minimal but I think the wound construction makes it a bit stiffer. I tried the EXL110w set first, and then bought some single .18w strings from Strings and Beyond because I already had a 10-pack of EXL110s. Daddario offers a .17w--I wonder if that's just too floppy? The .18 seems to work really well in that set.

Joe

4. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I used to play a Jazz Lite set that had a wound 3rd on my Strats that sounded killer.
    But you have to be really committed to play with that much string in standard tuning all the time.
    10-46s feel just right to me these days, just enough fight to keep me honest

5. bbjonz

bbjonz New Member

That's a nice way to think about it. I used to love the fight from the .011s but sometimes the fight isn't all that much fun. Especially as I get older. I have a set of EXL110+ lying around (.015)--might give those a try, too.

6. tabl10s

tabl10s New Member

I'm a rhythm player who started on acoustic and ALWAYS had a wound G on my Strat and actually hates the sound of the electric version acoustically.