Wound G on Hollowbody II

Do all Hollowbody II guitars come with a wound G on the 11 set or is that only on ones that also have the piezo bridge? For an acoustic sound when using the piezo?

I don't know - certainly the new ones will (or should) come with 11's and a wound G. All Hollowbody ii's now come with a Piezo anyway. The only Hollowbody Guitars, according to the PRS site, are the HBi 12 String, the HBii with Piezo and the 594 HBii. I don't know if the 594 comes with 10's like the Solid/Semi-Hollow 594's. There is nothing stopping you fitting 10's with the usual plain 3rd if that's what you want - its easier dropping down as you don't need to widen the nut slots. Being a fixed bridge too means you won't have to adjust the trem for different tension.

Piezo's will work whether you have a wound 3rd or plain so if that's what your concern is, you needn't worry

I used no have a non-piezo HBII and it came with a wound G; was purchased new. So if you find a NOS HBII (non piezo), I’d expect a wound G

I have D'addario XL110W's on my Hollowbody Spruce. No piezo, but I love the strings and their sound.

The only difference between D'Addario XL110's and XL110W's (.010 - .046) is the wound third, and it is only .01 thicker than the unwound third. i.e., the unwound third on the 110 set is .017, and the wound third on the 110W set is .018. Personally, I like the feel of a wound third better.

The only difference between D'Addario XL110's and XL110W's (.010 - .046) is the wound third, and it is only .01 thicker than the unwound third. i.e., the unwound third on the 110 set is .017, and the wound third on the 110W set is .018. Personally, I like the feel of a wound third better.
You, of course, mean to say .001” thicker?

Wound g for piezo equipped Hollowbody guitars, plain g for non-piezo hollowbody guitars.
Honestly, for me wound versus not wound is mostly transparent. I don’t really notice it. I had to look at the guitar to see if it was or wasn’t. The G on my DGT is not wound.
In my experience, using the wound-G helps the piezo-equipped guitars, especially HBs, sound a tiny bit more "acoustic". But it might be a placebo effect due to texture on the finger tips.

I'm not certain at all there is a measurable tone difference when using the mag-electric pups, especially on a non-HB guitar.

I have a wound-G on my HB Spruce. I did try it once with a regular G, convinced myself to back to wound-G.

Some folks complain they cannot bend a wound-G as easily - I have no issues. But I bend the 12s on my acoustics.

Back