Wouldn't it be great if PRS would release a S2 DC3 ?

Would you love a S2 DC3 model?

• Yes, and I'd definitely buy it!

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I would prefer a SE version (just like the SE EG)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I would prefer an US Core version (just bring it back)

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I'm not really interested by SSS guitars

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
PRS has never done well in the single coil strat type guitar market. So, I can't see them going this route. This is because the strat is the perfect single coil guitar and its priced right. If PRS came out with something and tried to go up against the strat, using half imported parts, its going to fail badly.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree on that.

First of all, why would PRS rely on any other company parts anymore? From SE to PS, they now build all their parts and they don't have to rely on "half imported parts".

Secondly, PRS already know very well how to build a great tele/strat type guitar. They did it with the 305, the DC3/NF3 or even the Brent Mason somehow.

The main reason they didn't get huge success is no surprise, it's because of the price. They sold some of them to the PRS Fans like us, their current existing customer base, but they couldn't extant it to new user coming from Fender American Strat because the price wasn't competitive enough, because it was only core models (and for the SE EG it's probably because it was before the time SE were well accepted as good guitars and not only few as some PRS for the poor). But now PRS can be competitive on any given price range. The SE line is well accepted as real good guitars and valuable instruments for the price. And now there's the S2 Line which fall perfectly in the same price range as the Fender American and American Deluxe Strats price range.

Just like PRS did with Gibson Les Paul... they prove to the world that PRS was not only the Custom 24/22 anymore, but they could do a lot of different guitar types. They came with very good alternative to Gibson with the Singlecut and McCarty. They decline them on pretty much all 3 categories and now PRS can easily compete with any Epiphone/Gibson Les Paul. They definitely haven't fail badly on that part, and they could definitely apply some similar strategy with Fender.

They did what I call a "testing run" with the 305/DC3/NF3 models. And now they could hammer this down and come with the equivalent on all 3 categories and be competitive with Squier/Mexican/American and Custom Shop Fender Strats... and without relying on any "half imported parts". From a pure marketing strategy point of view, it would make perfect sense. If you own a guitar company and when someone is asking you for a great Single coil guitar and your only reply would be: "Well, we have $7k Private Stock or you can just go buy a competitor products", it's great if your only goal is to be a boutique private stock company. But if you want to reach as much customers as possible, and you know how to build something that could be competitive, you'd be fool to not do it.

I agree with other guys that it would be a new "challenge" for the S2 line because it would be different from what is made so far. I get that. But as said, the SE line by itself is a proof the line can contain very different guitar, even on a large scale mass market cost efficiency production model. There was semi-hollow models at first with the S2 line... now there is. It's not like the S2 production line would be completely apart from the Core production line. They're only cutting some cost by having more basics shape body, simpler finishing, less expensive electronic parts, a gig bag, etc... So, if the could be flexible enough to have the 305/DC3/NF3 before on the Core line, they could have equivalent model on the S2 line too... with of course, basic body shape, simpler, finishing, etc...

The quick photoshop I made with the Vela body and SSS pickup configuration (and old DC3 pickguard) clearly show how it could be done... Maybe the current Vela is only the first model of several ones in the S2 line, just like they did with the semi-hollow.

Of course, this is just pure speculation. But it would be quite crazy to be so sure that it can't happen and if it would happen it would automatically be a fail. And we can't really know it because the "S2 DC3" I'm describing here would probably not try to target us, we wouldn't be the main customer target... It's the current people that NEVER bought a single PRS because PRS didn't have what they wanted (the equivalent of a Fender American Strat) that would probably be the customers. We (PRS fans) are not representative of this market... If you're a company, you always try to expand your customer base, not only rely on your existing one.

So yeah, I have to disagree with your statement. The best thing is that we both don't know anything about what PRS could do or not and how well it could be successful or not.
So let's wait and see and future will tell us who thought well.

My quite long 2 ¢

And here's the SSS Type-D version:

21680789585_da823a0616_o.jpg
i would think something like this with a trem or something like the standard 22 with this pickup config would be fairly easy to do within the current S2 line. The 25" scale length and all hog body would of course make it less strat like but not exactly a deal breaker for most PRS fans who want to get something close to a strat config and tone with PRS quality and playability.

i would think something like this with a trem or something like the standard 22 with this pickup config would be fairly easy to do within the current S2 line. The 25" scale length and all hog body would of course make it less strat like but not exactly a deal breaker for most PRS fans who want to get something close to a strat config and tone with PRS quality and playability.

I do think it's doable... and the more I look at the Vela, now with the Photoshop, the more I think it might be what they want to do. It's a nice body shape for a Strat/Tele-ish guitar, still different enough to avoid any potential "lawsuit" by a company that would be afraid to lose too much business because of that (if you know what I mean).

And regarding the scale, honestly I don't think that would really be an issue... If they can have multiple scale on a SE line which surely is on a tight cost, I have no doubt they could also do it for the S2 Line. But somehow, I think it might not be as much important as we think. The SE Singlecut are 24.5"... and they could still do a S2 Singlecut with 25" scale, and it still sound very good. 25" is a great balance for playing and maybe PRS might just find what they have to do (and how they have to do it) to get a similar sound than a 25.5" bolt-on neck guitar. Personally, I don't care of the technical details as long as I get the sound...

Regarding the pickup, I don't have any experience with the Type-D... How are they in comparison to single pickup such 305/DC3 ?

If they're sounding close, it might be a solution because they already have them ready for S2 Line... And from the photoshop I did, it seems like the DC3 pickguard should fit quite good the Vela body shape. I haven't done any tweaking... just adjust the scale size and the picture blend together pretty easily. So yeah, it could be easy...

If we can the same kind of sound with a S2 Vela SSS Type-D than with a DC3... I'm good and I'm buying one, regardless if it's not bolt-on neck and not 25.25" or 25.5" scale.

Why not resurrect the 305 but in S2 line with a unique scratch plate?
that way we'll have 2 unique designs that caters to the Strat/Tele customers.

I would love to see the 305 (just as it was) come back, but a DC3 would be cool too. SE, S2, Core, doesn't matter.

I'm one of those people who never considered a PRS until they started doing single-coil models. My take on them was always, "Gorgeous guitars, well-made, just not quite what I need." When I tried a DC3, I figured they finally came up with one for me--but I knew the Brent Mason was on the way by then, so I got that. If they were to do an S2 DC3, I'd likely buy one. And the 305's not too shabby either...

No problem, it's way more easy for me to do some mockup than build the guitar (or even save the money to get it done). And at least, I can see how it would look and can help to illustrate a thought or an idea...

I have to admit, a S2 Vela SSS could be a way to bring a "S2 DC3"... it's looking quite good.

PS: Does anyone own (or had the chance to try side by side) a DC3 and a Vela to compare the neck Type-D pickup?

When I tried a DC3, I figured they finally came up with one for me--but I knew the Brent Mason was on the way by then, so I got that. If they were to do an S2 DC3, I'd likely buy one. And the 305's not too shabby either...

I understand what you mean... I also bought the Brent Mason for this reason and would for sure buy a S2 DC3 (or S2 Vela SSS), just like you.

And I'm really convinced, there's still plenty of potential customers that never bought a PRS for that exact same reason... people that maybe didn't wanted to pay more than 2 grand for a DC3 or Brent Mason and would prefer to spend between $1,299 and $1,699 for a Fender American Strat... even thought that would like for PRS to come with something for them.

21680527185_436c1dfdfc_o.jpg
This version is my favorite one to be honest... but again, I don't know much about the Vela Type-D pickup...

I might try to do a version with Trem... Just for fun, Photoshop work is free :)

My strat is beat to heck from too many mods, mistakes, and just plain being worn out - the frets are almost non-existent. If there were a maple neck, 3-single guitar, I would be very interested. I feel like I just keep pouring money into my strat and it's never ending.

The Vela look is very cool! I could also go for something along the lines of the Standard 22, with a trem and pickguard, but add a maple neck.

I absolutely love my Vela. The type D pickup is really sweet. I wish I could buy another Vela with the pickups and switching options of the Brent Mason model. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I absolutely love my Vela. The type D pickup is really sweet. I wish I could buy another Vela with the pickups and switching options of the Brent Mason model. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Hey Fro. Did you have a chance to compare the type D with a 305/DC3 pickup? From the YouTube videos, it seems to be kind of vintage, closer from a Tele neck than from a Straty sound (what an horrible way to try to describe it. Gosh, it's sometimes hard to put words in what we hear or feel).

If I have enough time tonight, I will try to photoshop a HSH S2 Vela ;)

Here's a HSH version of the Vela with Starla and Type-D pickups:

21783686245_5d7debbf39_o.jpg

And just for fun, here's a HSS version of it:

21595667940_cff854282e_o.jpg

It's really a quick and dirty mockup because I didn't have time to redo the strings and it looks bad... but I'm really short in free time this week. That will be good enough for now...
(Regardless how great I could do a mockup picture, it will never as good as the real thing anyway)

I feel like I just keep pouring money into my strat and it's never ending.

That's funny - I feel the same way about my Strat - I think I have put $ into the guitar in the past 5 years than what I paid for the guitar originally (& most was for maintenance)

Back