Wouldn't it be great if PRS would release a S2 DC3 ?

Would you love a S2 DC3 model?

• Yes, and I'd definitely buy it!

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I would prefer a SE version (just like the SE EG)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I would prefer an US Core version (just bring it back)

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I'm not really interested by SSS guitars

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

Spidouz

There's no secret that a lot of people like Strats and it seems like PRSh also like them from what he said once in a DC3 youtube video.

I understand the SE EG didn't get success back in the days, and maybe the DC3 and 305 were probably not in the correct price range to be really competitive with Fender for people that were looking for Strat-ish guitars. But all of that was before the S2 Line.

And since then, PRS did release the Starla and the Mira (two guitars that were part of the US Core product line).

So wouldn't it be great is PRS would release a S2 DC3?

It's actually the "perfect" kind of guitar to be release in this new line because of the basic shape (not carving and such)
Double-Cut, 3 Singlecoil pickups, 5-way selector with dots or birds, 25.25" or 25.5" scale, Maple or Rosewood neck, similar colors such current other S2 guitars...
And maybe even a HSS configuration later on (such the Studio), and the NF3, etc... Just like they did expand the first S2 models with Semi-Hollow ones now.

From a price point of view, between $1,299 and $1,699, it seems to be the price range for a new Fender American Strat or Fender American Deluxe Strat.
(and it would still fit with the other products, and no conflict with Signature Series such the Brent Mason)

To me, PRS already burry Gibson... Wouldn't it be great if we could do the same with Fender (for Strat and Tele sounds)?

What's your thoughts?

PS: Yes, I do assume that it's a soliciting post, or even some kind of lobbying to force PRS to release the S2 DC3 to take over the world of singlecoil guitars, but that's for a good cause :)

I think they could very easily do an HSS and SSS model using the existing S2 Standard 22 platform and still hit the $1200-$1400 price point.

Well, the S2 Standard 22 isn't a bolt-on neck, is not 25.25" or 25.5" scale, they would probably still have to use Alder wood and such instead... I don't know, it doesn't seem to be the same kind of guitar.

Well, the S2 Standard 22 isn't a bolt-on neck, is not 25.25" or 25.5" scale, they would probably still have to use Alder wood and such instead... I don't know, it doesn't seem to be the same kind of guitar.
I doubt they would introduce a model to the S2 line that would be so different. If they were going to do one, they would probably drop it to the normal 25" scale to keep production costs low. All the S2, with the exception of the standard and custom 24 models, have the same 22 fret necks, not to mention all are either mahogany body/maple top or just mahogany. I can't imagine that it would be cost effective to bring in a new model that would require completely different specs to the rest of the S2 line.

I think the production costs to do an S2 version would probably be higher than just bringing back the old ones.

Hell just take the Brent Mason model, offer a few limited body colors like the S2 line, and slap in a DC3 or NF3 pickguard. I'm game!

I'm not a singlecoil sorta guy, so no real interest for me. The whole NF series DID interest me a lot, I just was never in a spot where I could justify $ spent on one. Too many other things I'm after. I will likely search out a used or NOS NF guitar whenever I'm in position.

I doubt they would introduce a model to the S2 line that would be so different. If they were going to do one, they would probably drop it to the normal 25" scale to keep production costs low. All the S2, with the exception of the standard and custom 24 models, have the same 22 fret necks, not to mention all are either mahogany body/maple top or just mahogany. I can't imagine that it would be cost effective to bring in a new model that would require completely different specs to the rest of the S2 line.

Exactly. Too much to tool up and too much special handling compared to the other S2 models.

Well, in the other hand, for the SE line they have 25" scale guitars, but also 25.5" scale for the Torrero, 24.5" for the Singlecut, they had the 27.7" scale for the Baritone... active pickups and 7-String and so much thing that are completely different from the regular 25" Custom 22/24, and they definitely still have to cut cost somewhere too since it's an even more affordable line than the S2. If they can do it for SE line, there's no reason they couldn't do it for the S2 Line.

I'm not a guitar builder expert, but I'm not quite sure that Semi-Hollow require the same tools either than regular S2 line guitars... And they still found a way to expand the S2 Line lately.
Of course, it would require some R&D and production cost in front to allow the S2 line to move for a 25.25" or 25.5" scale, singlecoil S2 pickups, etc... But in a long term, it could be very profitable for PRS because they would definitely be on the Fender American Strat market (which still seem very profitable full a potential customers that probably never bought a PRS yet because there was no appealing product for them).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Brent Mason and I'd love to see the DC3 back... But as a US Core model, I doubt they could ever be under 2 grand and therefor be in the 1,299-1,699 price range. And it's not like they don't know how to build this kind of guitar either because they did it really well already. They just didn't get as much success as other models such Custom 22/24 because it was something different for the current PRS customers, and not competitive enough for potential concurrent customers.

Now if you tell me they could come back with the DC3 as an US Core model in the $1,299-$1,699 price range... I'd say: Hell yeah, forget about the S2, bring it back. But somewhere, from a marketing strategy, it wouldn't really make sense to me.

My 2 ¢

It's not the kind of guitar I'd want, but if it floats other peoples' boat, I ain't agin' it. ;)

I do think they could do with more single coil options in the SE and S2 echelons, but I'm already all set in that area, so it doesn't affect me, neither.

I'd much rather buy a 2nd hand core DC3/NF3, they are about for decent $ and in good nick. You get a core trem, V12, Phase IIIs (maybe) and proper US pickups/electronics.

Sure you don't get a warranty but that's a small risk IMO.

/2c

I understand, but don't worry, I'm not only wishing a S2 DC3 for myself... because I just got a Brent Mason and I'm perfectly happy with, and if one day I will have the money, I'll just add an used DC3. That's no big deal...

But I'm not trying to think for myself here, but for the hundred thousands or millions of people that could possibly be interested by a PRS version of an Fender American Strat (one of the most iconic guitars IMHO with the Tele, the Les Paul and the Custom 24)

Anyway, probably only PRSh really knows what they will ever do... I'm just convinced a S2 DC3 could find its way (probably even less in the current PRS customers than to new potential customers... which could also mean a new market and customers for PRS).

So let's just wait & see ;)

I for one would really like to see PRS make single coil pick up guitars that can compete with Fender Teles & Strats in all 3 categories - SE - S2 - and Core. I agree that PRS has already "buried" Gibson. Its now time to do the same to Fender!

Yes CVS, if they come with SSS guitars, I'd also love them to be on all 3 categories.

The main question is which one would be the most adequate as an introduction product for the market... SE would go against Squier and Mexican, S2 would probably be against American... and Core would probably go against Fender Custom Shop... That's pretty much how I see it.

So I guess the biggest market would definitely be SE and S2... So, maybe revival of both the SE EG and the DC3/305. Nothing wrong about that :)

A Vela with 3 x Type-D's would be a cool thing...

You might help on that... When I saw the Vela, at first I thought it was the PRS take on the Tele.
But then I did some search on the forum and I read that some people say that the neck pickup (Type-D) isn't really like a Tele sound and the Vela is actually its own sound. Some guys recommending: "If you want a Tele, just buy a tele".

I never had the chance to play the Vela, so what's your take on the Vela being a Tele or not?

PS: But the Vela body shape with 3 Single coil pickup, 5-way selector and a 25.25" or 25.5" scale... that would be fun.

Last edited:
Here's a quick & dirty photoshop of a PRS S2 Vela "SSS"

21680527185_436c1dfdfc_o.jpg

That would look great actually...

Back